Author Topic: New to these pistols. A few questions?  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to these pistols. A few questions?
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:15:11 PM »
A friend of mine has a pair of the Uberti 1872 Open Tops in .38 spl.

I have long admired them and he has made me an offer to purchase them.

The price is almost the cost of bran new pistols but it also includes a pair of replacement 5" barrels.

He has also had the pistols looked over by a very good gunsmith here and the indexing is spotless. As is the whole action.

Now for my questions.

Is there anything I need to know about the care of these pistols. Are they very robust.

I notice that VTI gunparts have replacement barrels and cylinders in .44 russian. Can I just swap these over. I am a big fan of all things in .44

How do these pistols handle BP? That is all I shoot in competition.

Please could you help me justify these pistols to myself in addition to the lust I felt when I fired them.

BTW each pistol has probably fired less than 200 rounds.

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to these pistols. A few questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »
SOmeone else will chime in, but you can mix and match the OTs using different cylinders and barrels on the same frame.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:00:18 PM »
I have a Cimarron Uberti made open top in 38 special.  I love it.  The open tops are excellent weapons and have natural pointability that you will love.  You can shoot black powder in them without any additional problems.  The nice thing about the 38 special is that you can also shoot 38 long colt.  I shot mine in our last NCOWS match (smokeless).  I am not quite sure why you would want to buy used open tops for the same price you could buy new ones.  The extra barrels is kind of nice but I prefer the 7.5.   If you are happy with the price for what are used guns then I say go for it.  You will not be dissapointed in the weapons themselves.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:42:44 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:55:35 AM »
DD, I believe he meant both for the price of 1 new one.  I seen VTI had replacement parts for them, but can not tell you converting them from .38 to .44 will work.  Technically it sounds right. Swap cylinders and barrels. Clyinders should have same outside dia. measurements.   Just remember all the original parts are stamped with serial number, don't loose them
Mathew 5.9

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:32:28 AM »
Hmmm, that isnt the way I am reading it, but price is something he will need to decide on anyways.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
Hello again Dai;  Glad to hear from you.  I'd say GETTEM!  I have the '51 richard masons in .38.  The only comments about the OT's is that you might have to get aftermarket firing pins, but if it was tuned, maybe not.  The "set" of the wedge is important.  not too tight, not too loose.  You WILL be happy with them, I'm sure.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »
This is my set, calbers 38, 44 and 45.

I have 5-1/2 inch barrrels for the 44 and 38, 7-1/2 inch barrels for the 44 and 45 Schofield.  The 38 barrels are shown with no ejector assembly as they are timesharing the parts.  The best setup is to have each barrel assembly with its own wedge, and for the sake of the screwheads, its own ejector assembly, but everything extra costs money.  I do have a selection of wedges to get the best fit when I change over.

One 44 cylinder (the original caliber) is 44 Special, and one is 44 Colt, I shoot both as 44 Russians.  They are Navy gripframes, as the gun came as a 5-1/2 incher, all the other parts were purchased from either VTIgunparts or Cimarron.  VTI has better prices, however.

When fitting them up, I stamp the fitted parts with the serial number, or 3 digits at least, so they remain with the frame they were fitted to.  The first fit is the headspace (important to be first), set by adjusting the height of the rachet teeth to get the proper clearance for the rim, and not be beyond the reach of the firing pin.  Second, the endshake is set by adjusting the length of the gas ring with the wedge properly set, (the retainer screw just up against the inner wall of the clearance pocket of the wedge, no deeper).  The cylinder, with about .001-002 endshake will not clamp too tight to rotate.  The cylinder gap will then be whatever it is, as the headspace and endshake are more important.

Hope this helps.

Getting a second set of barrels included certainly makes the price fair, with the minimal use you mentioned, as the barrels cost $100 each, the cylinders are $80.  That's  more than when I bought mine, but what hasn't gone up?
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:06:11 PM »

And for those who are interested, the Octagonal '51 Navy barrel also fits right up.  Instant "man with no name" conversion.

Coffinmaker

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
Just to clarify a point.

My mate is asking NZ$1600 for the pair of pistols with the extra barrels.

To buy them new would cost the same minus the extra barrels.

Problem is that I would have to wait 6 months for a new pair as the importer doesnt keep them in stock.

I've shot about 50 rounds through these pistols and really love them.

I used to have a Pietta '51 in the UK and loved the way it just felt right in my hand.

I think I better talk real sweetly to she who must be obeyed.

Arranging for some trees to be felled and the lumber sold. Should bring in about NZ$10,000. She can get a new 2nd hand car and I can get these new toys.

BTW anyone thinking of visiting NZ let me know. I have a small place in the country just outside of Auckland. Apart from the main house I have a spare two bedroom cottage.

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:03:18 AM »
  Dai,  I haven't looked at VTI recently but if your thinking of ordering the .44 Russian for them.  You might consider the .44 Colt or Spl., if available. This would still allow you to shoot .44 Russian.  Mine are the .44colt.  I got a good price on a heap big box of .44russian, that I am empting and refilling with the one true powder. 

Mathew 5.9

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:38:20 AM »
Just to clarify a point.

My mate is asking NZ$1600 for the pair of pistols with the extra barrels.

To buy them new would cost the same minus the extra barrels.

Problem is that I would have to wait 6 months for a new pair as the importer doesnt keep them in stock.

I've shot about 50 rounds through these pistols and really love them.

I used to have a Pietta '51 in the UK and loved the way it just felt right in my hand.

I think I better talk real sweetly to she who must be obeyed.

Arranging for some trees to be felled and the lumber sold. Should bring in about NZ$10,000. She can get a new 2nd hand car and I can get these new toys.

BTW anyone thinking of visiting NZ let me know. I have a small place in the country just outside of Auckland. Apart from the main house I have a spare two bedroom cottage.

I thought I had read your orginal post correctly.  Anyways sounds like you should go ahead and get those open tops from your friend.  However,  6 months isnt all that much time to wait.  Pards here in the states have been waiting for  well over a year for the Richards Transitional model to show up at Cimarron.  You will enjoy owning and shooting those open tops no matter who you buy them from or how long you wait.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com