Author Topic: For those that shoot SASS how do you carry your second handgun?  (Read 24947 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: For those that shoot SASS how do you carry your second handgun?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:57 AM »
I usually shoot using only one sidearm and a rifle.
I've found that most of the rigs I end up using are military inspired rigs in black leather. Usually either one of four holsters,- a 'slim jim'; butt forward flapped-holster; or U.S. Navy pistol frog, all will hold either my Open Top or Leech & Rigdon cap'n'ball. The fourth is a field modified military holster for my '63 Remmington w/conversion cylinder which has the flap cut off and the holster wet-molded to hold the Remmie as if it is a strongside holster, even though it started out as a butt-forward flap. Gives it a slight forward cant that makes for a very easy draw.
Then I mix and match freely using plain belts,- two hook-and-eye adjustable with 2-piece buckle (U.S. Navy and C.S. Navy); one with oval "U.S." prong hook; and one with simple brass square buckle with tounge.
Ammunition is carried in a flapped cartridge box on the belt, either plain or U.S. Navy embossed.
I usually always carry strongside.
If for some reason I am shooting two revolvers then I carry either the 'slim jim' or the Navy frog on the belt as a crossdraw and the others strongside.

This has been a very flexible system for me and I've found I can cover quite a timeframe span.

RCJ 

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
Niederlander,
I would love to just use one handgun but all the local shoots are SASS and they would probably get angry at me for reloading a C&B on the clock every stage! ;) Now when I go to the NCOWS Eastern Regionals I might make those boys suffer through it! :o

River City John,
Some good ideas there, thanks!

Mild Myles

editted because I have "fat fingers"  ::)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
Hello!
    I only shoot in our local CAS match, and we've recently expanded the kinds of guns you can shoot here.  I dress as a 1900 Marine Lieutenant and shoot a Krag infantry rifle with lead bullet loads (1400 fps) and carry a 6" nickel plated Smith & Wesson Military & Police (private purchase) revolver in an 1896 pattern holster.  In the interests of authenticity, I only use one revolver and reload on the clock.  My choice of weapons really slows me down but they're really cool to shoot!
Yeah, like you ever have a problem with not being fast enough to beat the rest of us! ::) ;)

For our local SASS style shoots I use a home made double strong rig that looks like a US army half flap with the flaps folded under and sewn to make a belt loop then I use a M-1876 prairie belt in 12 ga. At GAF shoots I use a home made prairie belt with a M-1879 half flap holster

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to see your rig person Pitspitter in a couple of weeks.... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »
Yep and it looks like I might eaarn a SoM  as I plan to shoot in uniform a "state or higher level match" and should place in my age/category. Don't ask how many are entered  ::) :-[ BTW I see Mustang Gregg is entered ;D ;D

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
If'n you're parleyin' about the CSG---I reckon I will be in uniform at least one day.
I hope we can make it to the NE SASS Championship at Ft Flat Water, too.  ??? That will be in 1898 USV uniform, for sure!
Maybe a Color Guard?
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 06:24:03 AM »
If'n you're parleyin' about the CSG

Yep!
BTW I see there's a nice photo of Lt. Col. Roosevelt in the May/June Shoot! magazine :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com