Author Topic: Dept. of the Missouri Headquarters Shoot Results  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Dept. of the Missouri Headquarters Shoot Results
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
Well Here they are. The results you've been waiting for.
Shooters attended from Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas. Unfortunately several shooters who had inquired as to attending already had committed to attending the NRA Convention (note to self: next time schedule the shoot on a weekend that the NRA ISN"T having it's convention)
While the number of shooters wasn't huge the fun factor, by all accounts, was. The course prooved to be as promised; Unique and challenging. The weather was great and so was the comradery.

Ned Niederlander (Dale Beethe) was the overall winner.
Dusty Tagalon (Brian Bauer) was the Civil War Veteran winner and second overall.
Quickfire (Jack Bursovsky was the Black Powder Duelist Winner and 3rd overall.
Doc Leadbetter (Gary Wells) Was the Smokeless Duelist winner.
River City John(Covert) was the Senior Black powder Duelist winner.
And (Bvt. ) Col. Major Matt Lewis (Richard Gimbert) won the Battle Rifle Category

On Sunday we shot the GAF standard course of Fire as a side match.
(Bvt. ) Col. Major Matt Lewis (Richard Gimbert) won the Pistol and the Rifle Caliber Lever rifle categories.
Dusty Tagalon (Brian Bauer) was the Percussion Pistol winner.
(Bvt.) Col. Pitspitr (Jerry Davenport was the Cartridge Pistol winner.
All of the targets shot during the side match will also be entered in the spring 2007 GAF Postal Match.

Grizzle Bear (Rob Brannon) Won the very nice "medicine bag" that Terry Lane donated (Thanks Terry!) for the top Scout.

From the aspect of running The Battle Rifle class within the main match one could say that it went off without a hitch. There was no visible damage to any target. Major Mat did find that when one uses a military rifle that is designed to use a very specific load, using a shortrer/lighter bullet isn't adviseable as they don't chamber smoothly.

Delmonico catered the Saturday evening banquet, which as usual was fabulous. (Thanks Glen!)

For those of you unfortunates who weren't able to attend, we have some things in the works which should give you another chance to shoot the Department of the Missouri Headquarters again within a year or so.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dept. of the Missouri Headquarters Shoot Results
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
Jerry,

It was one fine shoot.  Most fun I had in a while.  Hope 2008 works out the way we discussed.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:19:12 PM »
Well you can count me in again, any chance to hang arount Ft. Hartsuff is worth it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:59 AM »

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
I'll shore enuff be there.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 12:36:20 AM »
I'll be making plans to be there, soon's you set the date.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
I'll be making plans to be there, soon's you set the date.

Gopher Grease said somethin' about not lettin' you make coffee, suthin' about boiler rooms. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old thread But I wanted to ask if there will be a Department of the Missouri Muster this year or if the Grand Muster in NE will do double duty?
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
At this point, Bowview, I'm concentrating my efforts on the Grand Muster. I'm encouraging my Division Commanders to host Division level musters, and if someone is interested in hosting the Department muster I'd be very eager to consider it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
Pitspitr,

the reason I am asking is we are going to have a 2 day shoot on our family farm near Crofton NE the first weekend of August.  If someone from GAF or familiar with how a GAF shoot is run wants to use one of the days for a GAF state shoot we will have a regular SASS shoot the other day.  People can come to shoot one day or the other or both. 
We will be shooting in a very seinic natural area with praire grasses and the West Bow Creek nearby.  There will be a camping are with water and electricity if needed. 
If anyone from GAF wants to help with this let me know.

thanks

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
Still waiting to here from someone who knows how to run a GAF type match.   Aug 2nd or 3rd.  Let me know if any GAF members are interested.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:10 PM »
Still waiting to here from someone who knows how to run a GAF type match. 

About the only thing that a GAF stage has had in common the last five years is the stage is based on a military action from the years 1865-ish to 1900-ish. Other than that they seem to run the gamut. . .there's a bit more 'action' as far as movement, crawling, shooting off horseback, other similar stage instructions. More reloading on the clock, too.
GAF has conducted their Muster under NCOWS rules(see www.ncows.org, Bylaws #10-Rules and Regulations), with modification for allowing any military arm as long as loaded to black powder velocities and using cast lead bullet. Last year's Muster I believe allowed gas-checked lead bullets in some longarms which otherwise would not give acceptable performance, but I may be incorrect on that. It would be always based on safety and what the Match Director feels their targets will withstand.

Unfortunately August is a busy month for WAS. My home club, Blue River Regulators, will be scurrying to get ready for our big three-day shoot, "Ruckus at Raccoon Forks" in September.
I have a couple of stages written for last year's Muster that I would be happy to send you if that would help. You'd have to figure out stage layout and props to suit your situation.
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:16 AM »
the reason I am asking is we are going to have a 2 day shoot on our family farm near Crofton NE the first weekend of August.  If someone from GAF or familiar with how a GAF shoot is run wants to use one of the days for a GAF state shoot we will have a regular SASS shoot the other day.  People can come to shoot one day or the other or both. 
We will be shooting in a very seinic natural area with praire grasses and the West Bow Creek nearby.  There will be a camping are with water and electricity if needed. 
If anyone from GAF wants to help with this let me know.
Hi Bow View, Sorry for the tardy reply. RCJ gave you some very good information.

A GAF Mini-Muster need not be big or elaborate. It doesn't need to follow the grand Muster format. An example of the type of possible mini-muster would be to have your regular monthly shoot with a military theme and then call it a GAF Mini-muster.

With the distance between Sargent and Crofton it would be difficult for me to offer you much "physical" help though I can offer you information and moral support as well as to write a stage or 2. I would try to attend. 

I have asked Mustang Gregg to pursue a Division of Nebraska mini muster and I don't know what he's done towards doing that. It would be a good idea to PM him and see if he'd be interested in having you host it.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to contact the 1st US boys out of Ft. Randall and invite them. I'd really like to see them active in the GAF. Currently they're just BPCR shooters in blue uniforms but they'd make a great addition to the GAF.

If you'd like more info from me be sure to send me a PM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies .
I e-mailed Mustang Gregg yesterday about this and willl see what he says.  I Did finaly join GAF through the website even though I don't have any military history or persona. 
If you could send me the stages/senerios you have, I can make them fit our layout. That's just the type of guidence I need for the GAF part of the match.
I really like the mil-spec/battle rifle class structure thats been set up and would like to use that for the GAF match.  I like that it gives us a whole different way of looking at and shooting WAS.  I do plan on contacting as many of the surounding groups in SD IA and NE as I can once I get the details ironed out. 
You can e-mail me any info at pjarens@frontiernet.net
thanks
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
e-mule sent.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com