Author Topic: Wild Bunch Uniforms.  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Wild Bunch Uniforms.
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Someone posted a link to a sutler that had reproduction WWI or "Wild Bunch" Uniforms.  I can't find it.  Will you please repost.  Thank You very Much.

Your Humble & obediant Servant

Grapeshot
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Wild Bunch Uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
Haven't dealt with any of these dealers ... but here are a few that I'm aware of -

http://www.aefsupply.com/index.html

http://www.historicreproductions.com/

http://www.greatwar.com/list.cfm?category=1058

Edit: I don't know a whole lot about U.S. uniforms, but "The Wild Bunch" movie being set in 1913 (I understand), I'm not sure if the uniforms would have been Model 1912 (?) or something earlier (Model 1899?) - or perhaps even a mix.   Others will undoubtedly be able to shed light on that, I'm sure ...   Note, however, that AEF Supply have a Span-Am War section, with M1899 uniform items ....  (By the way, I've heard that AEF Supply has some of the best-quality stuff for this time-frame, but can be very slow ...)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
I don't know if it would work for you, might depend on your size, but I scored the whole uniform for less than the hat costs new.  It was for sale at a gun show.  Danged uncomfortable thing the way they attached buttons.........takes forever to get dressed lacing up the pants and the leggins..... but you might try the used market and see what you can come up with, even for just some of the parts.

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:11:21 AM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:54:02 PM »
http://www.schipperfabrik.com/

www.cooncreekoldwest.com

They both have quality product at decent prices.  Schipperfabrik is extremely authentic.  You won't go wrong with them.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:02:53 PM »
To add to what has already been written, here's where you might have already been looking:  http://www.cooncreekoldwest.com/wildb.htm  Keep in mind, these are cotton, and in the movie they wore wool (which, trust me on this, is hot as heck so I understand why they make the cotton "summer" uniforms). I have a lot of Span Am stuff made by these folks. I like their stuff and their excellent customer service, but not a big fan of the their leggings, they're pretty darned flimsy. If I did a Wild Bunch shoot, I'd go with a WW2 legging set, which are very durable and pretty easy to find (unless you have massive calves). Contrary to popular belief, the WW2-style leggings are pretty much what they had before WW1. The spiral wool "puttees" were used once the doughboys got to France. In the US, they wore leggings. The pattern was a tad bit different from the pre-WW1 era and the ones used in WW2, but it's not that big a difference, and plenty of WW2 re-enactor vendors sell good condition originals and reproductions for larger-legged folks.
If you want REALLY authentic stuff, these guys have the correct M1916 wool shirts and riding ("poofy") pants that would be correct for the movie. They also have the cavalry style M1912 holsters for the 1911, and belts and such, all very well made: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/USList.htm
As for AEF supply, those are mostly the rougher wools you saw in France in 1917, not the finer made pre-war Cavalry uniforms in the movie.
A few things you might want to know about the movie and modern uniforms:
The campaign hat (often referred to as the "Boy Scout" or "Smokey Bear" hat) was quite different in the WW1 era than the hats the drill instructors wear today. Today's hats are greener in color, and the brims are much wider. What Price Glory makes a good repro of the original hat, but some folks probably don't care as the good reproductions cost more than the hats you can find at most surplus outlets.
Even though M1916 pullover shirts are correct for the time period, in the movie, most of them wore WW2 wool shirts. The major difference is in the buttons and the fact they button all the way to the bottom. M1916 shirts only button about 1/3 the way from the throat, and are actually "pullover" shirts.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:06:53 PM »
To add to what has already been written, here's where you might have already been looking:  http://www.cooncreekoldwest.com/wildb.htm  Keep in mind, these are cotton, and in the movie they wore wool (which, trust me on this, is hot as heck so I understand why they make the cotton "summer" uniforms). I have a lot of Span Am stuff made by these folks. I like their stuff and their excellent customer service, but not a big fan of the their leggings, they're pretty darned flimsy. If I did a Wild Bunch shoot, I'd go with a WW2 legging set, which are very durable and pretty easy to find (unless you have massive calves). Contrary to popular belief, the WW2-style leggings are pretty much what they had before WW1. The spiral wool "puttees" were used once the doughboys got to France. In the US, they wore leggings. The pattern was a tad bit different from the pre-WW1 era and the ones used in WW2, but it's not that big a difference, and plenty of WW2 re-enactor vendors sell good condition originals and reproductions for larger-legged folks.
If you want REALLY authentic stuff, these guys have the correct M1916 wool shirts and riding ("poofy") pants that would be correct for the movie. They also have the cavalry style M1912 holsters for the 1911, and belts and such, all very well made: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/USList.htm
As for AEF supply, those are mostly the rougher wools you saw in France in 1917, not the finer made pre-war Cavalry uniforms in the movie.
A few things you might want to know about the movie and modern uniforms:
The campaign hat (often referred to as the "Boy Scout" or "Smokey Bear" hat) was quite different in the WW1 era than the hats the drill instructors wear today. Today's hats are greener in color, and the brims are much wider. What Price Glory makes a good repro of the original hat, but some folks probably don't care as the good reproductions cost more than the hats you can find at most surplus outlets.
Even though M1916 pullover shirts are correct for the time period, in the movie, most of them wore WW2 wool shirts. The major difference is in the buttons and the fact they button all the way to the bottom. M1916 shirts only button about 1/3 the way from the throat, and are actually "pullover" shirts.

Yes, I have checked Coon Creek out.  They were the outfit I was hunting for and could not remember.  I'm not going with the leggings.  I've opted for the Officer's riding boots of the period.  Watched a Gary Cooper Movie awhile back about the Mexican Punitive Expedition, GC was supposed to be a disgraced Officer that was tasked to find candidates for the Medal of Honor.  Good Movie, most of the costuming was of that period as far as I could tell.  The enlisted soldiers wore the leather lined Leggings, and all the officers wore the russet riding boots.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
I believe the movie was titled "They Came To Cordura" and it was a great movie that explored what constituted heroism and how it doesn't always spring from high moral character.     
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com