Author Topic: Opinions earnestly sought ...  (Read 2594 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Opinions earnestly sought ...
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »
[This post duplicates one in The Longbranch ... my apologies if that breaches the rules.]

Here is a photograph of several unidentified Rocky Mountain Rangers, which was a mounted Provisional Militia unit composed mostly of ranchers and cowboys during Canada's 1885 North West Rebellion.  Two of its three Troops were posted to Medicine Hat, though the unit was raised at Fort MacLeod some 150 miles to the west, in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.  For that reason, our local CAS club is named "The Rocky Mountain Rangers, No. 4 Troop"  -

(Click on thumbnail to enlarge ...)

As a provisional unit raised for only for this specific emergency, the RMR were not uniformed ...  instead they wore "their own serviceable Western apparel".

My primary reason for posting this rather interesting photo is to ask for opinions on a personal theory of mine.  Although the men in the above photo are unidentified, I believe that the fellow second from the right, so nattily attired in Scout-type garb, may very well be John M. "Rattlesnake Jack" Robson, who was enrolled as a Scout with the RMR and is the namesake of my own Cowboy Action Shooting Alias.  He  served for two years in the NWMP (June 1878 to June 1880) before being discharged at his own request.  Here is a known photograph of Robson taken while he was serving in the NWMP ...

(Click ...)

It is admittedly impossible to be sure if it is the same man, because of the relatively poor quality of the images and also because the "Scout" in the first picture is so heavily bearded (keep in mind that photo was taken 5 or 6 years after the first).   However, the facial hair and garb of this fellow seem rather too flamboyent for a mere Cowboy/Trooper, suggesting to me that he is a Scout ... and there were only three Scouts enrolled at Fort MacLeod, including Robson (a fourth joined at Medicine Hat.  Also, it is definitely not the Chief Scout, "Kootenai" Brown, who was a very well known frontiersman of whom several photographs exist - in fact, Brown looked rather like Buffalo Bill Cody.) 

At any rate, compare these two details and tell me what you think ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Opinions earnestly sought ...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »
The first thing I looked at was the ears. They are different shapes and sizes. Granted, they are on different sides of the heads but both of a person's ear should be very similar.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »
Mmmm .... allowing for the lack of contrast with the background in the NWMP photo and the quantity of hair in the RMR photo, I actually thought that the ears were remarkably similar ...   :-\
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
Mmmm .... allowing for the lack of contrast with the background in the NWMP photo and the quantity of hair in the RMR photo, I actually thought that the ears were remarkably similar ...   :-\

I'll have to disagree with you on that.  the ear lobe on the right hand photo is longer than the fellow on the left.  The Nose is shapped differently, and the eye brows are bushier on the left hand photo than on the right.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 04:27:02 PM »
To me the telling feature that these are not the same man is that the man on the right has obviously gone 'bush' and let his hair and beard grow au natural. Note, no hair on the lower lip line to the chin. The manicured Jack M. Robson is sporting a very respectable and full Van Dyck.

Also, the nose of the gentleman on the right appears to have been broken at one time and seems to curve to his right the bridge is dished in. Jack has a pronounced straight bridge. This could be a trick of the lighting, though.

I would vote not the same gent. They do favor each other in in the eyes and cheekbone structure.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »
All,
Interesting pic. Although they all 'look' Military, the only one standing with his feet in the proper Military stance for the era, if I recall it correctly, is the one man in question. Look at his left foot, it is correctly indexed with the heel pressed into the right foots arch and his rifle is at the correct 'rest' position. His 'Metis' coat and floppy hat may indicate a 'prize' taken on the Field of Battle, but as the others above have already suggested, he does look a tad bit different than what has been suggested as 'the Man'.
If it wasn't for the 'Metis' styled coat, it could almost pass for a group of Commandos of the first Boer War in Southern Africa. The Boers wore large floppy hats similar to that and canted in the same fashion, they also wore full beards and dressed much the same. The pic could easily be that of an African Boer working as a Scout for the British if R.J.R. did not have substantive proof otherwise, and this is one way how old photos are often misinterpreted. 
Now with that in mind, one is wont to say that under the harsh circumstances they experienced during that timeline, anyone's visage is subject to alteration and change due to the weather, injuries, campaigns, etc., so, it may indeed be him but at a much later time.
Just my humble observation after perusing the pics, right or wrong it does not make any difference, it is still an outstanding historical photo and worthy of discussion on this most enjoyable forum.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com