Author Topic: Henry Movies Today  (Read 33285 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
Re: Henry Movies Today
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »
 Just watched a old gun smoke  episode,with Ken Curtis as FESTUS as a wolfer ( hunted wolf's for the ranchers),at first I thought he was carring a hennery but after stoping the scene ( 8-10 times) an backing up I believe  it is a 66 w/ out a stock,,anyone else see this episode,,??  It was in b/w.

Hootnix.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2019, 04:13:30 pm »
Just saw 'War Arrow' from 1953, with Jeff Chandler, Noah Berry , Henry Brandon.
You can see a lot of ' Movie Henry Rifles' and at least one ' Original Henry Rifle'.
 Jeff Chandler is loading the 'Original  Henry Rifle'.Never saw this in a movie before.

;)

Oh boy! A "Frankenthread" brought back to life! IT LIVES!!!

Actually, I watched "War Arrow" yesterday and I was going to start a thread about the Henrys in the movie.  I thought that I'd better do a search, though, to see if it had already been pointed out.  Well, of course it had.  I will say, though, that in the movie, they arm a bunch of fighters with Henry rifles, handing them out from a case.  The men are seen admiring the rifles.  When they have to shoot them, however, the guns transmogrify into "Hollywood Henrys".  As noted, Jeff Chandler is seen loading a Henry and even easing down the follower onto the live rounds.  I'm not sure what he was putting in, but I doubt that they were actual rimfire rounds.  I'll have to say, I was pretty impressed that they even tried to get something authentic by showing actual Henrys, even if they couldn't use them for the shooting scenes!

Oh--and the person quoted above failed to mention the lovely Maureen O'Hara in the movie!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dddrees

• Active citizen
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2019, 04:06:04 am »
There are a couple of episodes on Hell on Wheels where the Henry is used as well as the 1866. In fact there are a few where both are used. The time period depicted would coincide with this since it occurs after the Civil War.

Silverado is mentioned often but it's actually a 1866 with no forearm hence the loading gate. Looks like sepearte magazine and barrel as well but the loading gate is easy to identify.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:08:10 am by dddrees »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cracker Cow Cavalry
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2019, 04:53:16 am »
Since you mention "Hell on Wheels"

The use of Henry's & Yellowboys was (at least for me) overshadowed by the ignoance of both

the Armorer & Propmaster  ::) guy !

Used as the hero piece the brass frame never-ever 1860 Army repop !  for a Griswold & Gunnison
then compound the 'BULL" with this ....
https://www.amc.com/shows/hell-on-wheels/video-extras/season-01/episode-01/the-guns-inside-hell-on-wheels

then he clains there were "100,000 Griswold's made so they are quit rare "  ::)

Well rare is correct...but only 2500 were assembled before the works were destroyed

This is a Griswold & Gunnison 2nd Model

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 10:44:23 am by Major 2 »
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:08 pm »
There are a couple of episodes on Hell on Wheels where the Henry is used as well as the 1866. In fact there are a few where both are used. The time period depicted would coincide with this since it occurs after the Civil War.

Silverado is mentioned often but it's actually a 1866 with no forearm hence the loading gate. Looks like sepearte magazine and barrel as well but the loading gate is easy to identify.

There were two in Silvberado.  One was an 1866 without a handguard, and one was a 1860 Henry.  You see them both in the scene where Danny Glover picks up one in each hand.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2019, 08:51:18 pm »

Just to put some Patadas inna soup ....... You are all aware, yes, In the lead up to the 1866, Winchester actually built several "Transitional" rifles with EXACTLY the same look as the rifle in Glovers hands.  Side loader, round separated magazine, dovetailed magazine hanger, the whole enchilada.  No reason an individual couldn't have acquired one of those prototypes.

Offline dddrees

• Active citizen
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2019, 11:55:29 pm »
There were two in Silvberado.  One was an 1866 without a handguard, and one was a 1860 Henry.  You see them both in the scene where Danny Glover picks up one in each hand.

I guess next time I watch the movie I"ll have to pay closer attention.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:17 pm »

I would also hope when he picked em up one in each hand, they (Henry's) had faque aluminum barrels   ::)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »
I enjoyed "Hell On Wheels" because of the setting, the characters and the drama.

At least there weren't any '92s or '94s or Colt SAAs.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline dddrees

• Active citizen
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2019, 05:34:39 am »
I enjoyed "Hell On Wheels" because of the setting, the characters and the drama.

At least there weren't any '92s or '94s or Colt SAAs.

Agreed and although I may have missed some parts which may have been incorrect I did like the fact that they used period correct Henrys and Winchester 1866s.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:37:28 am by dddrees »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2019, 09:32:22 am »
My horsey friends get bent out of shape over incorrect tack for the era. It's seldom correct but we don't notice or care much if we buy into the story.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2019, 11:20:36 am »
I was interested to see groups of cavalry troopers all armed with 1866 rifles.  The producers liked those shiny brass guns...  As was mentioned, though, at least they weren't all '92s and '94s.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline dddrees

• Active citizen
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2019, 11:56:21 pm »
I was interested to see groups of cavalry troopers all armed with 1866 rifles.  The producers liked those shiny brass guns...  As was mentioned, though, at least they weren't all '92s and '94s.

CC Griff

They really did. If I remember correctly the Sweed smuggled or purchased a crate of 1866s at one point and later in the series there were a bunch present when the Chinese attempted to take a train.  But all during the series you can see either a Henry or 1866s.

Offline cactus joe

• Very Active Citizen
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2019, 08:39:50 pm »
Looking back through this old thread i didn't see a movie mentioned called Arizona 1940. With Jean Arthur and William Holden. About half way through she gives him a Henry.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:55:00 pm by cactus joe »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »
Yes, she did, along with a Blakeslee box. I haven't heard of historical references of people using Blakeslee boxes with Henry rifles, but I imagine it would work.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2019, 05:38:26 pm »
Watched "The Kid" Saturday on dvd.  Ethan Hawke as Pat Garrett has an "iron" frame (Uberti) Henry in several scenes.  In one, you can see it is loaded, but in a scene where he's sitting on a porch talking to someone, the follower is down.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2019, 02:02:15 pm »
Was the movie worth getting?

Offline Abilene

• Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2019, 02:19:29 pm »
It was okay.  I give it 3 stars of 5.  Pretty slow at times and some plot holes.  Played a little fast and loose with the Billy the Kid history.   For those who haven't seen a trailer, the name "the Kid" is actually about a younger kid with his own troubles that gets involved with both Billy and Pat Garrett.  The gunfights were decent.