Author Topic: Henry Movies Today  (Read 48331 times)

Henry4440

Re: Henry Movies Today
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17:24 AM »
Just saw 'War Arrow' from 1953, with Jeff Chandler, Noah Berry , Henry Brandon.
You can see a lot of ' Movie Henry Rifles' and at least one ' Original Henry Rifle'.
 Jeff Chandler is loading the 'Original  Henry Rifle'.Never saw this in a movie before.

;)

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
I just saw Gene Hackman shoot at Gary Sinse in "The Quick & The Dead" with a Henry during one of the Lady's flashbacks!!!!
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
 :o

He dint hit Lieutenant Dan did he?

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 10:17:46 AM »

Offline Russ McCrae

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
:o

He dint hit Lieutenant Dan did he?

No proved he was 100% villian by shooting the American Flag off a pole with it then shot Lt. Dan's chair Hackman had strung him up on.

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »
T. O. Russ,

Would we find a picture of your other side in the Post Office??  :o  ;)  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Russ McCrae

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
T. O. Russ,

Would we find a picture of your other side in the Post Office??  :o  ;)  ;D

Nah, only this handsome vision of manliness... ;D ;D ;D

But honestly, it was either that little used pic of Gus for a avatar or a pic of High Loper in his shorts

(If you know who High Loper is, your from Cow Country and have kids :D :D :D :D )

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline stepnmud

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
"RIDE with the Devil" Toby carries a brand new out of the box Henry at the end of this movie and Jewel was fun to watch too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_with_the_Devil_(film)

Henry4440

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
In Union Pacific, 1939,  Joel McCrea is shooting a 'REAL Henry Rifle.'

;)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
Barbarosa [I think]

You are 100% correct. One of my favorite westerns.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Henry4440

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Bonanza!!
Sometimes they used 'Real Henry Rifles', sometimes they used ' Hollywood Henry Rilfes'.

;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
I'll be dog gone...I'm watching TRUE GRIT JW's version....

I knew Tom Chaney carried a Henry..tonight for the first time ( when Cheney shoots Mattie's father )
I noticed the loading port ... a King's Patent ?  maybe 66 with Henry Barrel ?
Later at the creek ,Tom Cheney has an actual Henry 1860 when Mattie slides down the hill and finds him.

Confirmed ...I've watched that movie when it opened in 1969 and some 40 years never noticed that before  :-\
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/True_Grit#Winchester_1866_.22Yellow_Boy.22_.28mocked_up_like_Henry_1860.29
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 11:47:49 PM »
I know I’m resurrecting the dead here, but I was watching the DVDs of the first season of Gunsmoke and saw what I assume to be a real Henry in an episode aired on 07-07-1956 called “Prairie Happy”.  A character pulls it out of a cloth case in the Long Branch and shows it off as the new gun he bought for fighting Indians.  It shows it long enough to see that it’s a Henry, but that’s about it.  I was hoping it would show up again later in the episode, but it didn’t.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »
In 1956 , Stembridge gun rentals might have provided the Henry or Western Costume who also had a large prop gun inventory.

the photos below were provided by Stembridge 

The Hollywood Henry ( often called ) was a 92 converted to mimic a Henry , actual number is not know to me but a goodly number were produced .
This one was in " Cheyenne Autumn " used by Jimmy Stewart as Wyatt Earp. Photo from Stembridge .
Several of these were use in the "Bonanza" carried by the Cartwright's.....

Stembridge also had several REAL Henry's , this one sold at auction 4 years ago. Photo from the Little John Auction

And this Iron frame also , I believe from Stembridge collection is reported go between $80,000 - $ 140,000. Photo from the Little John Auction.

Enjoy but Watch your keyboard from the drool  ;D

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
Here are some stills from the Gunsmoke episode.  It is certainly a Henry and I'm assuming that it's an original.  The front sling swivel is visible, although I couldn't spot the corresponding one on the stock.

I might add that he looks pretty proud of his new Henry.  I imagine that most of us have had similar looks when we're showing off our new guns!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »
Quote from: Judge Roy Bean link=topic=12819.msg17, 3735#msg173735 date=1172534605
Very interesting Major. I'll have to ask a buddy of mine over here in the U.K. Who knows Garry James & Phil Spangenberger if they may have eny info on the Halls replica? As i would love to do a1850's Dragoon impression.

Glad this old thread got resurrected , I know it leans on Henry's

but since the Halls was brought up....

The Halls re-pro was being made by the late Bill Laybourne of Ordnance Park in the mid-80's, I had actually contacted him, as I need some for a film I was doing pre-production for...
I wound up using a original, I had bought , as Mr. Laybourne was unable to meet the time table requirement for the show.
In another thread, I had mentioned this, though it had slipped my mind in resent years...

as an aside , I did not Prop "Ride with Devil" nor work on it...but I know several that did...
and put the Prop master in touch with Uberti USA & Taylor's . I was despondent they use brass framed Remington s.
 I understood Ang Lee like the look of them even though, several advised they were unauthentic. 

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
 Just watched a old gun smoke  episode,with Ken Curtis as FESTUS as a wolfer ( hunted wolf's for the ranchers),at first I thought he was carring a hennery but after stoping the scene ( 8-10 times) an backing up I believe  it is a 66 w/ out a stock,,anyone else see this episode,,??  It was in b/w.

Hootnix.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
Just saw 'War Arrow' from 1953, with Jeff Chandler, Noah Berry , Henry Brandon.
You can see a lot of ' Movie Henry Rifles' and at least one ' Original Henry Rifle'.
 Jeff Chandler is loading the 'Original  Henry Rifle'.Never saw this in a movie before.

;)

Oh boy! A "Frankenthread" brought back to life! IT LIVES!!!

Actually, I watched "War Arrow" yesterday and I was going to start a thread about the Henrys in the movie.  I thought that I'd better do a search, though, to see if it had already been pointed out.  Well, of course it had.  I will say, though, that in the movie, they arm a bunch of fighters with Henry rifles, handing them out from a case.  The men are seen admiring the rifles.  When they have to shoot them, however, the guns transmogrify into "Hollywood Henrys".  As noted, Jeff Chandler is seen loading a Henry and even easing down the follower onto the live rounds.  I'm not sure what he was putting in, but I doubt that they were actual rimfire rounds.  I'll have to say, I was pretty impressed that they even tried to get something authentic by showing actual Henrys, even if they couldn't use them for the shooting scenes!

Oh--and the person quoted above failed to mention the lovely Maureen O'Hara in the movie!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline dddrees

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2019, 04:06:04 AM »
There are a couple of episodes on Hell on Wheels where the Henry is used as well as the 1866. In fact there are a few where both are used. The time period depicted would coincide with this since it occurs after the Civil War.

Silverado is mentioned often but it's actually a 1866 with no forearm hence the loading gate. Looks like sepearte magazine and barrel as well but the loading gate is easy to identify.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2019, 04:53:16 AM »
Since you mention "Hell on Wheels"

The use of Henry's & Yellowboys was (at least for me) overshadowed by the ignoance of both

the Armorer & Propmaster  ::) guy !

Used as the hero piece the brass frame never-ever 1860 Army repop !  for a Griswold & Gunnison
then compound the 'BULL" with this ....
https://www.amc.com/shows/hell-on-wheels/video-extras/season-01/episode-01/the-guns-inside-hell-on-wheels

then he clains there were "100,000 Griswold's made so they are quit rare "  ::)

Well rare is correct...but only 2500 were assembled before the works were destroyed

This is a Griswold & Gunnison 2nd Model

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
There are a couple of episodes on Hell on Wheels where the Henry is used as well as the 1866. In fact there are a few where both are used. The time period depicted would coincide with this since it occurs after the Civil War.

Silverado is mentioned often but it's actually a 1866 with no forearm hence the loading gate. Looks like sepearte magazine and barrel as well but the loading gate is easy to identify.

There were two in Silvberado.  One was an 1866 without a handguard, and one was a 1860 Henry.  You see them both in the scene where Danny Glover picks up one in each hand.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com