Author Topic: GAF Call for Volunteers  (Read 17305 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Call for Volunteers
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Guns,

As the winner of the Dress Uniform competition at the 2006 Grand Muster, you are automatically volunteered to help judge the uniform competion at the 2007 Grand Muster.  Congratulations!

Sgt Drydock and Rattlesnake Jack appreciate you joining the team. 

If we can figure out who won the field uniform competion this year, that will give us five judges which should help considerably in breaking ties. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF
Chief Uniform Judge

Actually.....Mel Kent aka Last Cigar won the working uniform.  So, it will be Guns and Last Cigar by your direction.  We should have a third...either Dry Dock or Rattlesnake. 

Guns,

Since you won the Dress Uniform, can you please put together the Criteria that you will be judging others by.  Both Formal and Working. 

Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:17 PM »
Small correction here, Major Matt:

I was on duty during the last 2 GAF Musters. That is why I was not able to attend.
It was not that I don't care to shoot under NCOWS rules.  I do have some other CAS guns than my RBV's.

Respectfully,
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 06:23:19 AM »
Guns,
Since you won the Dress Uniform, can you please put together the Criteria that you will be judging others by.  Both Formal and Working. 

I've already drafted something (we used it at the 2005 Muster), so I'll take care of that and send it to all of the Uniform Judges for coordination before we post.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:59:42 AM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 08:29:19 AM »
Small correction here, Major Matt:

I was on duty during the last 2 GAF Musters. That is why I was not able to attend.
It was not that I don't care to shoot under NCOWS rules.  I do have some other CAS guns than my RBV's.

Respectfully,
MG

OK,

I do have a mission for you if you choose to accept it.  I was thinking that we could run a 4 stage CAS Match on Friday as a side match.  If you are willing, I would like you to build it and run it.  If you are running it, you determine weather it is a 2 or a 4 gun match.  I don't feel that it will be required to offer all the catagories that you would find at a normal match.  Go with 3 or 4 and let me know what they are so I can have medals for them. 

I would like to keep this match an NCOWS event.  I have talked with Grizzle Bear and will be talking with Kayleen on the subject of filing for an exception on behalf of the GAF with the NCOWS Exec Committee to allow the use of period correct bolt action rifles and to rename our shooting catagories based on the rifle/pistol combinations.  Griz seems to think it should not be an issue.

Thank you MG for volunteering.  Could you also Command the Color Guard for Opening Ceremonies?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »
Major:

Side match stage writing & running would be fine.   That way we could get in a 4-gun.  Which we really like.  I have an idea for a stage that would use a shotgun involving a tent, blankets and a snake in the AO.
I would probably decline being the OIC of the Color Guard, though.  I'd rather march with flags or rifles.   ::)

I'll PM you about how we would work military rifles into main match stage.  [ie: Reduced cast load or DISTANT targets with real ball ammo?]

One thing we are working on here in NE (CAS at the State Games) is for each stage to be sponsored by a different SASS club or posse.  They would furnish props, targets, stage instructions, maybe a posse marshal.

Is NCOWS membership necessary?  I am not a member anymore.

MG from NE

PS:  Are you shooting at Topeka on Christmas Eve?  We will be in KCK for Christmas.
I ain't got a CCC newletter lately.

BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
Unfortunately CCC will not be shooting on Christmas Eve...

Didn't you have access to flag slings?
Major Matt Lewis

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »
...I'll PM you about how we would work military rifles into main match stage.  [ie: Reduced cast load or DISTANT targets with real ball ammo?]

Those who were present at Muster 2005 will have a good idea how this can be done ...  without significantly reduced loads or other special preparations .... ::)   ;)

I was prevailed upon (only after much arm-twisting, of course) to shoot through the Zulu War Defence of Rorke's Drift  scenario using a very appropriate rifle: my .577/450 Martini-Henry.  As indicated by that experience, the solution is quite simple really: you just need to ensure that there is at least one target which cannot  be knocked down (or destroyed) by hits from such a rifle, coupled with a rule that if a rifle target gets "killed", the shooter moves on to the next - at least until that one also disappears - and so on ....   ;D

Major Matt and others will attest that in the Rorke's Drift  event, the Martini-Henry demonstrated its vaunted "hard-hitting" reputation very well - I only managed one hit (or at most two) on each of the close in targets before they went down, and accordingly ended up taking most of my shots at the final one (which was a big-bore rifle gong, anyway)  8)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 09:07:06 PM »
MML:

Yes, I have acess to 4 ODG harness' & sockets.  Also 3 sets of white ones.
I have to sign them out from supply.  They ain't mine.
I might be able to get some brown leather ones from our Legion post too.  But they are in poor shape.  :o

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Lastcigar

• Active citizen
  • ambro by Rambow
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »
As I have been voluteered to be a Uniform Judge I will be happy to serve as such.  Will we be judging camps also?  Happy to help with that also if needed or if its automatically part of the job.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. 
LastCigar
LastCigar
USMC 1966-70   Viet Nam 69-70
SASS GAF NCOWS
BOSS SSS Henry Shooter

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 04:49:13 PM »
As I have been voluteered to be a Uniform Judge I will be happy to serve as such.  Will we be judging camps also?  Happy to help with that also if needed or if its automatically part of the job.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. 
LastCigar

I would prefer whoever won best camp last year to judge the camps this year, but we can certainly help out.  Its not an easy job deciding which camp or which uniform is the best.  We have some very competitive and authentically minded folks in the GAF. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2006, 07:23:14 PM »
BG Scout,

If I make it I would be happy to help judge the Camp contest.  I wasn't there last year.

YMH&OS,

Capt. R. H. Dorian
Brv't. LtC., Chief Topographical Engineer
GAF
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »
Major Matt - Thanks to Trailrider, the Departmant of the Platte has four white canvas flag slings.  They are in my possession and are, of course, available for the 2007 muster.  SB

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »
Outstanding!  You are here by put incharge of the Color Guard.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2006, 11:51:40 PM »
US Scout, I guess the best camp would fall on me. I was given the award for the 2006 Muster.

Dusty

Offline Guage Rod

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
Guage Rod here, surveyor, scout, bridge inspector, rail hand and all around slow guy with a gun.  Count me in at the next Muster, I can Hold or supply a timer,I can keep score, count cou, instill good will and confidence and swap lies with the Best of them.  Dressing up as regulation or scout for US infantry.  I am not opposed to helping out with anything once I get there.  Heck this is home range for me. 

Vaya con Dios and Merry Christmas to all.  Hope Santa is extra generous with things that go boom, bang and clang.     

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »
Major, as I was AWOL from the last Muster I feel that Any TAD  assigned would be the lightest punishment to be expected. I'm fairly close to the range and can be there early and/or stay late. I do need to schedule my vaca by 010507 to guarantee the time off. Also I have a barrel horse(50 gal. not rodeo) I'll be PMing Bristow to see if this meets his needs. Al
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2006, 08:57:41 AM »
Major, as I was AWOL from the last Muster I feel that Any TAD  assigned would be the lightest punishment to be expected. I'm fairly close to the range and can be there early and/or stay late. I do need to schedule my vaca by 010507 to guarantee the time off. Also I have a barrel horse(50 gal. not rodeo) I'll be PMing Bristow to see if this meets his needs. Al

OK,

Your "punishment" if you choose to accept it is to assist Bristow with setting up the range.  If you are available for the shoot thru on the Thursday, that would be great. 

See, those that do the shoot thru get jammed up, because in the shoot thru I look for safety in the stages, and may change the scenario, but with the shooting done early, we get to do much more socializing with everybody.  So, if that is what you consider "punishment" you are most welcome to join in.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2006, 10:06:49 AM »
Major, Can do. I've been in contact with Bristow and will keep in touch with him. Shoot thru on Thur. should be no problem. I'll arrange my vaca accordingly. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »
Looking forward to shooting the through with you, Shalako ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »
Maj Matt:

I cannot work the GAF Muster.  >:(  I have orders cut for the month+.
I do have a good shotgun side match written, if ya want it.  It is blasting snakes while they are in a tent.  I have a canvas tent that I will sacrifice if ya want it.  It will probably get pretty tore up by the end of the day due to prolongrd birdshot splatter.  Oh well!   ;D   

Leaving for SLC in the am.  I will email you early in Feb.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com