Author Topic: GAF Call for Volunteers  (Read 17308 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Call for Volunteers
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »
A reminder that this will probably be conducted under NCOWS rules and that all NCOWS classes will be offered, too. This is not to say that there could not be additional classes appropriate to the era created just for this event, as you are noodling about here, but if someone shows up and says they're shooting Working Cowboy, or Smokeless Shootist (2-handed), that they will be accomodated.

If three squads of 20 people show up, which I predict we'll easily exceed (my gut feeling is this is going to be the biggest and best Muster to date!), you are going to have a hooligan's assembly of different arms. And this is what makes a GAF Muster unique and such a treat.  
If there is a class for every conceivable longarm/sidearm/propellant combination, then be prepared to award a "First Place In Class" medal to everyone. ;) This may make medals and awards a mild nightmare.

The stages will have to be written as generic and loose as possible just for this reason.

There is value to creating specific classes for side matches, though.

In a similar vein, though I am familiar with the Prairie Fire Range and the arrangement of their existing stages, many who have come forward to write stages are not. And from the sound of it Major, you have specific settings that you want to incorporate? In that case it would be extremely helpful if some basic topographical line drawings with general dimensions, placement and arrangement of permanent stage fronts(doors, windows); the Fort with multiple levels; the footbridge setting, etc.- could be posted to guide us.

RCJ  

John,

Good points.  Thoughts from the memberships?  If we don't honor NCOWS Rules, we can't take advantage of the insurance.  No insurance, no match...Suggestions?  Y'all wanted your say, this is a unforseen consequence.  But a real one none the less.  Do we get our own insurance.  What do we do.  John has a great point about first place medals for everybody.  So, what do we do?  Do we honor NCOWS catagories and rules and give everybody a first place medal? Do we just say the heck with it?  Common Fellas.  Wat do we do?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 10:04:46 AM »
Major Matt,
in reading these threads, it appears that you are leaning towards having Squad Leaders be RO certified, which technically I am not.
(I have taken an RO course that was conducted when NTR was an NCOWS posse, based on approved RO instruction, as did most all of it's members just as sound safety policy.)

That being said, I would be more than willing to step aside for another who is "Board Certified" and assume other tasks as needed.
Please advise.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Pre-shoot-No Problem  Any excuse to clang some steel is fine with me.

regards,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:50:05 PM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »
Major Matt,
in reading these threads, it appears that you are leaning towards having Squad Leaders be RO certified, which technically I am not.
(I have taken an RO course that was conducted when NTR was an NCOWS posse, based on approved RO instruction, as did most all of it's members just as sound safety policy.)

That being said, I would be more than willing to step aside for another who is "Board Certified" and assume other tasks as needed.
Please advise.

To late...your hired.  I know you and trust your judgement.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 10:20:24 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but when exactly will the muster be held and where.  If the timing is right, I will attend and assist on site as needed.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
Mid September.  The Weekend of the 17th.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 10:31:33 AM »
Bvt Col and Maj Robson (aka Rattlesnake Jack) and Acting Master at Arms and Sgt Drydock are hereby volunteered to help judge the Uniform Competition by virtue of winning in the Dress and Field awards at the 2005 Grand Muster. 

Frenchie makes three.

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »
Well,

That's one way to get volunteers....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2006, 10:49:32 AM »
It is indeed.  However, they "volunteered" by having won the Uniform Competition. 

Policy is that if you win, you have to be a judge once before you can compete again. 

I haven't seen anything on who won at the 2006 Muster, but I know Jack didn't judge at that one, so he still has to pay up. 

If Drydock judged at the 2006, he is discharged from this duty.  If not, he is volunteered to be a judge.

Policy is also that you can't wear the winning uniform in any other Grand Muster uniform competion, though you can always enter in another uniform after you've served the following year as a judge. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2006, 11:20:48 AM »
Guns Garrett won best outfit for his Missisippi Marine Brigade Outfit.  I forget who won Best Working. 
Major Matt Lewis

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »
Bvt Col and Maj Robson (aka Rattlesnake Jack) and Acting Master at Arms and Sgt Drydock are hereby volunteered to help judge the Uniform Competition by virtue of winning in the Dress and Field awards at the 2005 Grand Muster...
Hmmm .... was that the sound of one step backward by all of the other Troops Assembled?     ::)   :D   ;D

Major Matt:  I'll endeavor to get a draft scenario done up fairly quickly, and submit it for review.
(Let's see if I have the basic criteria straight from past experience ... one rifle, one pistol, and - within reason - lots of both reloading on the clock and movement within the stage.  Does that have it covered?   ;)  )
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »
Along with special instructions for the kilted-impaired. ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006, 06:03:50 PM »
Will the uniform judging include checking under kilts for appropriate undergarments (or period-correct lack thereof)? Perhaps the "Scottish Moon" would be sufficient to ensure compliance with period practice?
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2006, 07:43:40 PM »
I talked to Kayleen and the range has NRA insurance so we can run the GAF Rifle classes without issue.  The Widow Barlows will be catering the food and banquet, as always included in the price of admission.  Now that I know the price point and the categories, I can build the application....for all those who were wondering, the price is the same as last year...$85....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »
Will the uniform judging include checking under kilts for appropriate undergarments (or period-correct lack thereof)? Perhaps the "Scottish Moon" would be sufficient to ensure compliance with period practice?
Och!  Are ye trottin' out that tired old mare yet again?   ;)

In actual fact, the so-called tradition of "nae nether garments 'neath the kilt" is a relatively modern development.  Earlier British Army dress regulations actually specified that underwear would be issued to only two types of units: Highland Infantry and Cavalry.  (Regretably, I have lost the reference, and really must do my best to re-locate it ....)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »
We'll take your word that you should be wearing it....LOL

That is something I am prepaired to take soley on faith....No need to have Franks and beans siting.... :o
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 09:33:57 AM »
I can do the score keeping, I already have what I need on my compuyer. I can do photographs as well. I will bring an extra digital camera for the other Posse.

Dusty

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2006, 08:14:46 PM »
Come on folks we still need volunteers to step up.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2006, 06:44:34 PM »
I'm wouldn't qualify myself as an expert at anything, but I'll volunteer to help out in whatever position is required - with so many postings, it's hard keeping track of what's still vacant.  I am a SASS RO 1 and formerly a USMC Range Coach.  I can carry a clipboard for someone.  I am adept at multi-tasking - I can talk and annoy people at the same time. I could help out with check-in/registration (don't remember anyone else doing that).  My calendar shows the Muster to be on the 15-16 (Sat/Sun.)  I should make it up there the late afternoon of Friday the 14th, but will probably be leaving Sunday soon after the awards ceremony.   

- BTW: Sep 15, 2007 , my wife and I will celebrate our 28th wedding Anniversary

Guns

Oh yeah, I was a Master-At-Arms of the mess deck on the USS Midway for a time, so maybe I should hang around the galley and make sure everything is going right there?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 07:44:50 PM »
Guns,

As the winner of the Dress Uniform competition at the 2006 Grand Muster, you are automatically volunteered to help judge the uniform competion at the 2007 Grand Muster.  Congratulations!

Sgt Drydock and Rattlesnake Jack appreciate you joining the team. 

If we can figure out who won the field uniform competion this year, that will give us five judges which should help considerably in breaking ties. 

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF
Chief Uniform Judge

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com