Author Topic: GAF Call for Volunteers  (Read 17306 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF Call for Volunteers
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
OK,

We got something good going on the What is GAF thread.  I would like this thread to be used to Enlist Volunteers for the GAF as a whole and the Muster Specifically....

1. River City John has offered to write 3 Stages.  Accepted (The Marines hooking and jabbing in Korea would be fun.)
2. The Bristow Kid has offered to help schlep steel. Accepted
3. Sage Brush Burns has offered to Provide a side match about the fight in Milk Creek.  Accepted
4. Sgt. Drydock has offered to help with some administrative duties.  Accepted.  Sgt Drydock, you are incharge of registering shooters at the Muster and sending out the application electronically to a list of email addresses that I send you.  I will also send you the application when I have completed it.
5. Kayleen and I talked last year.  She indicated that she would be willing to promote the match and obtain prizes in such.

So,

Here's we we are.  I still want to do a Civil War themed shoot.  As discussed with Last Cigar, Guns Garrett and a couple of others last year, Steve and Kayleens range just offers too much opportunity to pass up.  We can do stages about Little Round Top, Fredricksburg, Yellow Tavern and Burnsides bridge (yes, we have the use of a bridge.)  Not to mention The Crater.  Everyone who was there last year saw the potential. 

Needs:

The way I see it we still need some volunteers for the following:

1. Awards.  Need someone to get the medals.
2. Stage writing.  We need somebody who can write challenging fun and safe stages.
3. Squad Leaders.  Prefereably someone who is at least a SASS RO1. 
4. Uniform Judges.  Working and Formal
5. Banquet:  I think Kayleen and I were talking last year about just having a hog roast.  I like that idea.   It's infomral and sounds fun, but if somebody has a better idea, stand be heard and make it happen.
6. Encampment Judges:  Prefer somebody with a re-enacting background. 
7. Need someone to put the shooting packets together.
8. Need somebody to run the side matches (Sage Brushburns maybe?) Not only would this person run them, but would determine what they are.
9. Need someone to be in charge of Props.  Would be best if they were local.  Bristow or Dusty Tagalong?  We will REALLY need a horse that we can sit on and shoot from.
10. I know I am missing something so, expect more requests for help.

So, is there anybody besides myself a SASS RO2 in the bunch?  I reckon I can write some stages too...I will take the ones I mentioned.  So, we need someone to write 3 more stages.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: GAF Call for Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »
Write three stages, - Aye Aye Sir!

I have also ordered a crate of hardtack from the government supplier for the Muster as a donation. Not sure when I will roll in, but I will also volunteer as a Squad Leader.

www.bentscookiefactory.com

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »
Ok.  1 squad leader down and 2 to go.  I want to field at least three squads this year. 

More good news.  Looks like Scout is going to come up with some scenarios this year too.  So we have that nailed down.  I will be taking to heart the catagories being defined by the rifle.  More on that when I have it worked out.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:02:23 AM »

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:50:11 PM »
Major:

Having every intention of attending Muster 2007, and having made the suggestion originally, I am willing to write a Stage (or side match?) based on the Confederate raid made from Canada on St. Albans, Vermont, if you are willing to include such ....

(Can't say that I am sufficiently knowledgeable on the ACW to write other stages - but this incident is rather obscure, so I imagine I could research it as well as anyone .... besides, since it consisted primarily of a multiple bank robbery, I figure it is just ideal for a Frontier Action Shooting scenario!)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »
Rattlesnake,

Thanks for the reminder.  You got it....Go ahead and write a scenario and provide a history. 
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »
Major Matt

I'll help with props since I am the closest.  A horse to sit on huh I'll see what can be done.  I am pretty handy with a hammer and nails.  Let me know what else ya need and I'll work with Steve and Kayleen to get it done.

Bristow Kid 
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
Thanks Bristow.  I hope one of my good pals from the KVC are reading this and planning on coming.  Hopefully Trap or Griz will be able to loan the McClellan Saddle....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 06:08:31 PM »
A saddle would be helpful even pictures would help.  I kind of have an idea on what to do.  Let me know what other props you will be needing and I'll put the brain in gear and get the butt in gear too.  I had a lot of fun at the last Muster and I'm will to do all I can to help with this one.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 08:44:35 PM »
(cough cough) Uniform and encampment judge... (ahem)... reenacting background... I'm sure we can find someone foolish interested enough to do that...  ::)
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 10:56:56 PM »
(cough cough) Uniform and encampment judge... (ahem)... reenacting background... I'm sure we can find someone foolish interested enough to do that...  ::)

You're offically hired.  I want you to find two more volunteers to assist you.  Please publish the criteria in which you will be judging people on in advance.  I wouldn't mind helping out with the judging, but don't want to head it.

Lone Gunman has agreed to assist with the medals. 
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 11:48:32 PM »
Well,

Here is what I was thinking....

Military Bolt Action - Cartridge Pistol (Smokeless only)
Percussion - Must have a C&B Pistol as well (BP or BP Substitutes only.)
Lever Action - Cartridge Pistol (Smokeless)
Lever Action - Cartridge Pistol (BP or Substitute)
Lever Action - Cap & Ball Pistol (BP or Substitute)
Single Shot Cartridge Rifle - Cartridge Pistol (Smokeless)
Single Shot Cartridge Rifle - Cartridge Pistol (BP or Substitute)
Spencer Carbine/Rifle - Cap & Ball Pistol (BP or Substitute)

I would really like some ideas for cut-offs for the Military Bolt Action.  Would a Springfield 03 Make the cut because I am sure it was in testing prior to 1903?  I know the Krag and the K-98 would and the Swiss Veterli (sp?) but what else?

Major Matt Lewis

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 12:55:48 AM »
Ain't some Mausers were 1896 patent?  GAF approval?

OBTW:  I can furnish  steel for targets.  Also stage writing experience.  I am also a SASS RO II, if needed.

Will the match include shotgun on stages?

If you need any gunny-type prizes, I would be willing to furnish a few.

MG  
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 08:21:42 AM »
OK,

Here is were we start to fall apart boys and girls. We have our basis in CAS.  We also allow a Hollywood representation.  So, we keep all things uniform....Meaning, a rifle and a pistol.  That is how the stages should be written.  I also said, in the catagories that I laid out, that there would be a "Percussion" catagory.  Not a Muzzle Loading one.  So that meaning that anything that is fired based on the use "percussion cap" falls into it.  Be it a Sharps, an 1861 Springfield or so on.  I am not also going to be the costume or accoutraments police, so, you either have a rifle with proper ammo or not.  What if you are doing a Pancho Via theme or some other type of revolutionary you are a soldier, but don't have the proper accoutraments...period.  Remember, the GAF does not require a uniform.  So, if we don't require a uniform, than you can't require "proper" accoutraments. 

Mustang Greg,

Love to have you as a Squad Leader, but in the past three Musters, you have choosen not to come because you don't like the fact that we shoot under NCOWS rules and with a rifle and a pistol.  If you can get over those, we would love to have you.   

Sgt. Drydock,

Please provide a list of Bolt Action Rifles that are acceptable.  I would like the list to be exhaustive.  So, please begin with the GAF "Approved" rifles on the GAF Website and build out from there, please.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 08:59:23 AM »
Matt, I am RO2, but unless my schedule changes, I will not be able to arrive until Saturday AM.

Dusty

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »
Dusty,

Consider yourself a Squad Leader.  Thanks for volunteering.  Will you be able to provide photo services again this year?
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 09:24:59 AM »
Well, if you will take a recent recruit, I'm SASS ROII certified. I'm also willing to come early to the muster and assist in the set up. I'm not enough of a history maven to write stages, but will assist to insure they are safe and fun.

Last Cigar- you got me involved in GAF, where are you in this? How about colaborating on a stage or two?

For those of you who don't know Last Cigar was a multi-decade (I think that's a word) who I convinced to become a CAS shooter. He liked the idea of real bullets.

Regards,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 09:29:43 AM »
OK,

You are in as a squad leader.  If you can be there early, would you mind pre-shooting the match also?  I think we are good on writing stages.  We got River City John, US Scout, Myself and Rattlesnake Jack....
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 09:32:17 AM »
I will also need someone to help with Scoring.  I have a laptop that can be used.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Bristow Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 09:44:06 AM »
If you need others to pre shoot it Major Matt just get me a round count in advance and I'll do it too.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
A reminder that this will probably be conducted under NCOWS rules and that all NCOWS classes will be offered, too. This is not to say that there could not be additional classes appropriate to the era created just for this event, as you are noodling about here, but if someone shows up and says they're shooting Working Cowboy, or Smokeless Shootist (2-handed), that they will be accomodated.

If three squads of 20 people show up, which I predict we'll easily exceed (my gut feeling is this is going to be the biggest and best Muster to date!), you are going to have a hooligan's assembly of different arms. And this is what makes a GAF Muster unique and such a treat.  
If there is a class for every conceivable longarm/sidearm/propellant combination, then be prepared to award a "First Place In Class" medal to everyone. ;) This may make medals and awards a mild nightmare.

The stages will have to be written as generic and loose as possible just for this reason.

There is value to creating specific classes for side matches, though.

In a similar vein, though I am familiar with the Prairie Fire Range and the arrangement of their existing stages, many who have come forward to write stages are not. And from the sound of it Major, you have specific settings that you want to incorporate? In that case it would be extremely helpful if some basic topographical line drawings with general dimensions, placement and arrangement of permanent stage fronts(doors, windows); the Fort with multiple levels; the footbridge setting, etc.- could be posted to guide us.

RCJ  
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com