Author Topic: The faithful Infantry  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The faithful Infantry
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »
Today in Spain, it is a festival day. It´s the day of the Blessed Virgin and in the Army, we celebrate the patron Saint of the Infantry, the Blessed Virgin.

I´m a Infantryman and I´m proud for it. Today I want to send my best wishes to all the infantrymen that are on duty in Iraq and Afghanistan and very especially to all those that at some time were infantrymen.

"The old soldiers never die, they just fade away"

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: The faithful Infantry
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:28:17 PM »
They can use 'strategic bombing', and 'smart bombs' - they can fire artillery and rockets until Hell freezes over and drive tanks over the resultant moonscape - but when time comes to take and hold ground - it's done at the point of a bayonet on an Infantryman's rifle.

I've worn the Crossed Rifles since Tigerland - well over three decades ago - and the day we pinned ours on was one of the proudest in my life - surpassed only by my earning my jump wings.

Airborne!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »
When I started in the Civil War reenacting hobby it didn't occur to me to be anything other than an infantryman, and that goes double for NCOWS and GAF. Artillery and cavalry may have all the flash and dash, but infantry is the chess queen of battle. The war is won when the first weary, footsore infantryman sits down in the town square and says, "Where are we, and when do we eat?" Besides, I never remove this beautiful Miraculous Medal from around my neck  - how could I go off and dally with St. Barbara while I'm wearing it?  ;)
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:21:46 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:07:56 AM »
I commanded two Battalion-sized units - one, an Infantry battalion - the other, a Cavalry squadron - but when I took the Colors for the Cav - I did it as an Infantryman.

My own medal is that of 'St. Michael' - patron saint of Paratroopers...

Not to take anything whatsoever away from the various and critical support branches - but when you're out on the Division's Parade Ground with the rest of the Brigade, and you call to 'your' fully-geared-up outfit - there's a deadly sense of 'mission' that transmits itself that can't be beat, as the smaller elements' leaders call to their Companies and Platoons at the ending of that first half of the command, and echo across the field - 'Batt-aLION! (with Comp'NY! - 'Pla-TOON! - fading away...) A-Ten-SHUN!!,  and all the weapons and gear shift into position 'with purpose'...

There's nothing like it in the world - no matter what your position is in the unit - when you hear 'that sound' and see the guidons and the colors with their battle streamers in the breeze, and the bugle's notes peal.

Hell - the oh-so-distinctive Huey rotor blades cutting the air just made it even better...

Airborne!

Out
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »
St. George,

I think that you have definatly the feeling.  Thanks for the reminder

Old Top
Airborne
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com