Author Topic: Old time dyes: a How_to  (Read 139009 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Old time dyes: a How_to
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
Hi,

I am just a tyro at this, but I just got done Vinagarooning (is that a word? *S*) a pistol belt and confederate D-guard Bowie sheath.

Instead of the soda wash, I simply skipped it and slathered Skidmores on the outside (I plan to glue a suede liner on the backside and didn't want the glue not to work on the Vinagarooned surface ...).

Once I get my black/flapped/Confederate holster from David Carrico, I plan to give it a 'lip service' vinagarooon coating with an old sponge to get it to match the belt and sheath ...

Then all I have to do is save up to get that Larry Romano Maynard ... LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Dusty Drifter

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
About three weeks ago I put one full 0000 steel wool pad in a quart of white vinegar. Not one bit of the steel wool has disolved and the vinegar is still perfectly clear. I dipped a piece of scrap leather into it a couple of days ago and it did turn somewhat black (more like dark gray).
I'm ready to dump it all and start over.
Anyone have any suggestions why my brew flopped?

DD

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
About three weeks ago I put one full 0000 steel wool pad in a quart of white vinegar. Not one bit of the steel wool has disolved and the vinegar is still perfectly clear. I dipped a piece of scrap leather into it a couple of days ago and it did turn somewhat black (more like dark gray).
I'm ready to dump it all and start over.
Anyone have any suggestions why my brew flopped?

DD
Are you sure you didn't use stainless steel wool.

I've had a gallon eat up four or five steel wool pads before filling it's appetite.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #203 on: Today at 10:11:45 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
OH yeah, also torch the steel wool pads to get any oil off of them, could that have been the problem?

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Dusty Drifter

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »
I'm sure it isn't SS wool.
I didn't torch it but I'll try that on the next batch

DD

Offline Dusty Drifter

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
OH yeah, also torch the steel wool pads to get any oil off of them, could that have been the problem?

Thanks for the suggestion Cliff. Apparently that WAS the problem. I dumped my last batch, took another steel wool pad out of the same package and torched it, put it in a jar of new viinegar and within 5 or 6 days most all of the steel wool was gone. I strained out the sediment this afternoon and tried it out on a new gunbelt. After I ran it through the vinegaroon I dipped it in a solution of baking soda and water. My belt turned a beautiful black color and I don't have to worry about black dye rubbing off anymore.
Now my question is, how do I get rid of the vinegar smell? My wife said when I wear that belt I'd smell like a giant pickle! ???

DD

Offline theshoer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
Ok I just need to clarify for me that I understand the 3 dye that have been discussed here

Vinegeroon - 1 steel wool pad to a gallon of vinegar let soak for 5 or 6 days till dissolved, then was a baking soda solution after you dye your leather to neutralize vinegar, for a black stain. Yes - No

Walnut -  Boil a pound of green walnut husk to about a gallon of water to a thick mix, without iron for a nice walnut dye or with iron for a greyish walnut dye . Yes - No

Coffee - Boil a pound of coffee to about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of water for a nice chocolate brown. Yes - No

Yes I know the color will also depend on how long I soak the leather in the dye, so do I have the basics down for these 3 dyes
I may not be the most important person in your life, but when you hear my name, I hope you smile and say That's My Friend

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Sounds like you have it. For a quart of vinegar, I use one of those large steel wool pads, not the small ones. I get a very deep, rich black with those proportions. I'm not an authority on the walnut or coffee dyes so I'll let the others here reply on them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline wolflobo76

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Just scoutin around
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
In reference to the Black Walnut stain would it work to heat up a light type of oil and add powdered or pieces of  ripened walnut husks and simmer for a while then strain thru cheese cloth to get a type of dye for dark brown to black.

Offline Sgt. C.J. Sabre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
I started a batch of vinegeroon about two weeks ago. I aquired some steel dust from an auto parts store. It is from turning brakes. I'm using a gallon of vinegar, with the dust.
After two weeks, I'm still getting a nice froth in the bucket. How do I know when it's done? I presumed that when it is done, it would stop frothing.
It does a nice job blackening test pieces, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks, Sgt. C.J. Sabre

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
Finally got around to making some vinagaroon, five old steel wool pads in a gallon of white distilled vinegar and waited two weeks. Tried it out on a wristband, neutralized in a baking soda slurry, came out great. Got a project that requires black pieces that are assured not to bleed, here's hoping! Will post pics when complete, if lucky!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
0? or 0000???? :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:01 AM »
0? or 0000???? :)
0000, dissolved fast! The stuff was at least 10 years old and couldn't use it for anything else, would just come apart.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »
I posted on the other thread too. Just use steel wool, it works just fine. Burn off any oil that may be on it with a lighter or torch.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
Chuck,

I have a question that I think you have answered before, but I can't seem to find it.

I have been given a large hunk of 9-10 oz leather ... the person that gave it to me was not the original person who got it , but he believes it is Chrome Tanned and says that I can use it but he is not sure that it will dye very well ...

What do you think? If there is a problem, is there something to help the dye out?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »
Chrome tanned is not one process or chemical but many.  With dyes and glues a sample is always best.

I got some help with this fall's batch of dye as I left the nuts on a boat in my driveway.  After a while, they were discovered by squirrels who hulled the lot which I rebagged.  I have since reduced them to a thick juice just as a result of their sitting around.  Pretty simple.

The 1850 saw the emergence of industrial dyes with the discovery of Mauveine.  Many discoveries and a few fortunes were made as a result.  So I wonder to what extent makers in the western period were limited to natural dyes.  Of course certain artificial dyes, of which vinigaroon could be one, date back millennia.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Massive,

I was wondering if I 'vigorously wiped' the finished section of the leather with rubbing alcohol acetone, or ammonia, if I could 'preset' the leather up for dyeing with a vinagaroon ....

Has anyone tried this?

TTFN

NCOWS #3403

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Burn a piece of it and if the ashes are green it's probably chrome tan.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Cliff,

Thanks; I'll try it!

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
I tried some V on some chrome I have around and it did not darken it, whereas, the instant it touches veg the veg goes black.

This is what I would do, take some water, wet a scrap thoroughly, then shake it off.  If the surface seems damp at all then I think you can:

1)Take another scrap, dampen in tea, very strong tea.  There are other things that do tanic acid even more strongly.  But tea is a nice household thing.

2) Let one piece dry, and try the V on that, and try the V on the wet piece before it dries.  Veg goes black because it has the tanic acid left over from the bark tan, or similar process.  But you can dye something like cotton that does not, simply by first putting some tea on it.  Now the problem with chrome is it does not wet out that well, but I think you can get past that.

Another option is to use black dye.  Dean of all things holster, Will Ghormley, has a section on his site about dyeing with ecoflow.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OldDogsAndNewTricks.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com