Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 243523 times)

1stSgt Fritz King

Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 05:19:52 pm »
..."It can wait if you're busy."

The image shimmered in his mind for a moment.  He closed his eyes to focus.  When he opened them, the Dragoons were still there.  But they were back on Scarlet's hips, where they belonged.

"Ah...no.  Now would be just fine," Fritz replied.  "It'd take my mind off things."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Maybe later.  Whatya got there?"

He recognized the piece of doeskin.  It had held many presents in the years they'd been together. 

"I hope you like it.  It's not quite done," Scarlet said, "but it's done enough."

She handed the package over.  Fritz unwrapped the gift.  He smiled.  "So there it is."

The first thing he noticed was the grip.  Bill had reconfigured it.  Instead of the traditional plough handle, it was gracefully curved at the base.  He slipped it into his hand.  It felt different...not bad, just different.   

"Bill told me he copied from the British Webleys.  It's called a 'bird's head."

The next thing he noticed was the the ejector rod.  Somehow, Bill had put a full-length ejector rod on the barrel.  At only three and a half inches, it was a short rod, but it would do the trick.

"I'd told him to put ivory stocks on it, and to have it engraved," Scarlet said.  "He went east with Patches before it got done.  We didn't expect this.  Cosmetically, it still needs some work.  But mechanically, it's just fine."

Fritz turned the pistol in his hand.  He noticed the markings on the barrel.  They read, ".45 Colt."

"He converted it!  Where did he get the parts.?"

Scarlet smiled again.  "Your friend Keith out at the fort was very helpful."

Fritz put the pistol down, and pulled his wife close.  "Thank you!  I love it!  And I Love You."

They kissed.

"Since we're in a gift giving mood, I suppose I should let you have your present now."

"MY present?"  Scarlet was confused.  "But my birthday..."

Fritz interupted.  "I know.  But I can never surprise you.  I figured I'd leave it in plain sight, and just drive you nuts for a month or two."

He took her by the hand and led her out to his mount.  Fritz untied the parcel and handed it over.  Scarlet's face lit up like a child's on Christmas morning.  She tore at the paper with equal enthusiasm.  When she opened it, she gasped.

"Is this what I think it is?"

Fritz smiled.  "Yep.  I knew you'd want one of the first ones."

She asked, "How did you get it?"

"I have some friends...well, Johnny has some friends."

She turned the carbine over in her hands.  It was marked "Winchester 1876."       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 08:19:50 pm »
Scarlet shouldered the rifle it fit perfectly.

If he was giving this to her now she figured it meant he didn’t think he’d be back in time for their anniversary. She had wondered how long he’d be gone after she saw the telegram. Fritz would just have to wait for that gift, Bo was only half done with it.

Scarlet had done some reading about the new rifle and looking at this one she knew it had been ordered with a few of the options. She favored the octagon barrel over the round and the pistol grip stock over the straight, Vernier and Windgauge sights and the tiger stripe wood was breath taking.

“Why Mr. Fritz, I do believe you have a keen sense when it comes to knowing what your lady likes.” She said with a grin.

“Thank you.” She whispered just before she kissed him. 
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 11:23:04 pm »
They made love many times that night.  There was an urgency to their lovemaking.  Each kiss was like the first...

...or the last.

At long last they fell exhausted into each other's arms.  But sleep did not come easily.  They held each other close, saying little.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2006, 09:53:34 am »
The sunrise came much too soon.

“Good morning.” Scarlet said kissing Fritz sweetly.

He pulled her close; his eyes sparkled as he smiled at her.

Scarlet had sworn to herself she’d make sure Fritz carried memories of her smile with him, from the way he smiled at her now she knew he’d take memories of more than just a smile. 

Scarlet returned his impish grin. She’d have very sweet memories to recall on the lonely nights to come also.

She traced her fingertips along his jaw line. “Where ever you go you take my heart with you.” Scarlet slipped the horn and turquoise fetish she wore from her neck and put it around his.

Fritz couldn’t remember her ever taking it off. He started to object. “Don’t” She said softly.

“Scarlet.” He started again. He knew it was much more than just a piece of jewelry she wore. It was more than a gift her father had given her along time ago. Scarlet didn’t wear a cross she wore this. 

She cut off his objection “When he gave it to me he said it would guide me in my travels, protect me from injury, danger and possession by evil spirits. I believe it must work because I am still here and I know there have been times over the years I should not.”

She could see the concern in his eyes. “There is another that hangs on Lucky’s bridle, I will wear that one. If that is what is causing this look in your eyes.” Scarlet thought on it a moment. They had never really discussed religion, although she knew Fritz carried a bible and he knew she did not. “If you are uncomfortable wearing it and would rather give it back Sweetheart I understand.” 
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 10:48:25 pm »
They enjoyed a good breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and coffee.  Scarlet was an accomplished cook.  His campaign trousers were a little snug, but that would not be a problem for long.  Fritz sipped his coffee, and fingered the fetish around his neck.  He swore to his love that he'd never take it off.

"Please don't hate him," he said.

Scarlet set her spoon down.  "What?  Who?"  How could he know?

"Don't hate Captain Bill," Fritz replied.  "I never really told you much about my time with the Second.  It was my first and only unit.  I've only been away from it while serving at Jefferson Barracks...and during our time in Mexico.  It was the only home I ever knew...until now."

Scarlet sat down beside him, and took his hand.

"I was too young to fight in the Mexican War.  I joined that Cavalry in '56.  It was then I met Captain Schurman, my C.O.."

"Wait a minute," Scarlet said.  "You mean to tell me your C.O. was William Tecumseh Sherman?"  No wonder she hated him!

"No.  No, of course not.  Bill Schurman had been in the Army a long time.  He called himself a 'long service Captain.'  I guess he figured he'd pissed so many people off, he'd never get promoted.  His career would've ended, if not for the war.  We rode East, and made quite a record for ourselves.  There was no way they could get rid of him now."

She saw that far away look in his eyes again.

"In the Shenandoah in '64, we ran into an ambush.  Captain Bill was pretty shot up.  I rode in without thinking.  Ranger was still young and plenty strong.  I pulled him up on my McClellen and rode out.  Took two pistol balls for my trouble.  That's where the medal came from."

Scarlet recalled the inverted star he wore on his dress uniform.

"Anyway, Captain Schurman fought the rest of the war from a hospital room.  He put me in command on the spot.  A battlefield promotion.  Breveted a Lieutenant.  I had the honor of leading the men at the Grand March.  Bill worked some magic, and got me that position at the Barracks.  But a desk job didn't suit me.  It was like a death sentence."

He squeezed her hand.  "And the rest you know."       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2006, 09:47:04 am »
“Be cautious of all people and remember to never judge them by the way the look but by the actions they take” Scarlet said thoughtfully. “Dad told me that along time ago.”

Her eyes met his and she smirked. “Why you think he was so agitated when I started lookin’ your way Darlin’. Makes him madder ‘n a wet hen when ya use his own wisdom against him.” She chuckled softly.

“I’m glad you listened to Johnny about that.” Fritz smiled back at her.

Her voice became serious again. “I understand him wanting you there Fritz, especially after what you’ve said. There are certain people I choose to ride with me depending on the task at hand. I will not hate him for that.”

“I’m irritated he has found where I tried to hide you. Apparently out of sight out of mind does not hold true with this one.” She said a bit teasingly.

Scarlet leaned forward and placed her fingertips on the fetish and his chest. “This does not deflect bullets. That I can tell you for sure, I’ve been reminded of it to often. So maybe think a little before you ride in. That's all I can ask because dad also taught me don't ask anything of anybody you wouldn't do yourself."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 07:40:12 am »
Once the breakfast dishes were cleared, Fritz pulled a tablet and pencil from the cupboard.  He sat down and wrote two letters.  The first one read:

"To Marshal Tensleep Ross, U.S. Marshal, El Paso, Texas.

Dear 'Sleep,
I've been recalled to active duty with the second Cavalry.  Whatever happens, I intend this to be my last patrol.  Please consider me for hire as a permanent Deputy Marshal upon my return.
Respectfully,
Fritz
P.S.  Please look in on Scarlet from time to time."

He folded this letter and pinned his badge to it.  With a strange feeling of Deja Vu, he started the second letter.  It read:

"Last Will and Testament.

I Frederick H. King, being of sound mind and body, hereby bequeath all that I own, all that I have, all that I AM, to my dear wife Scarlet.  As to my remains, Scarlet may dispose of them in any manner that she sees fit.
Signed,
Frederick H. King, El Paso, Texas
April 7th, 1876."

He folded this letter and placed it back in the cupborad, with the tablet.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:41:53 am by 1stSgt Fritz King »

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006, 12:08:00 am »
He'd checked the girthstraps twice.  Buddy was set up with a pack saddle and saddle blanket.  He carried the supplies, as well as Fritz's Berdan.  There were oats for the horses, and a brand-new tarred haversack with some of Ella's cookies in it.  Much better, not to mentione healthier than Army fare.  There were extra blankets, a medilcal kit, and some salt, as well as a canvas water bag.  Strider was rigged with the McClellen, and a scabbard for his '66.  The sky blue greatcoat was strapped to the front, and a valise with spare clothes on the back.  The saddlebags contained coffee, jerky and ammo...
...lots of ammo.

He was ready.

Fritz ran his hand across the smooth butt of the convereted short barrel.

"Ni Itzo!"  Yellow Arm.

Fritz spun about as he heard his name, his Lakota name, called out.

There stood his friend Grey Eagle.  "Ni Itzo...where are you going?"

"I've been recalled," Fritz said.  "I go to fight with the Cavalry."

Grey Eagle came forward.  "Then...your time has come."

Fritz reached for his arm.  "Take care of Scarlet for me."

Fritz rode Strider to the porch to say goodbye.   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006, 10:09:12 am »
Scarlet stepped off the porch as Fritz approached. He dismounted and they embraced one another.

“Good” Fritz started to say only to be cut off by her kiss.

“I will miss you.” She said softly “goodbye is bad luck unless there is no intention of seeing one another again.”

Scarlet would have liked to tell him she would be here waiting for him when he returned but she knew she wouldn’t. The walls had already started to close in around her and the voices from the past had already made their presence known. She gave herself a few nights in the house before she’d either be back at the Starr or living in Bo’s house again. Perhaps she would ask Tensleep for a field assignment.

“I’ll not watch you ride away either and don’t look back it’s..”

Fritz chuckled “I know bad luck.”

Scarlet smiled as she ran her fingers gently across his cheek. “Take care of yourself Darlin’ and if you think you hear my voice on the wind it is because I am talking to you.” 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2006, 06:33:58 pm »
He touched her cheek, and felt her warmth.  He'd miss that in the days to come.  He swung into the saddle, and wheeled Strider towards the road.  Buddy fell into step with them as they headed up the small hill.  At the crest, he stopped, and turned in the saddle.

Scarlet had gone inside the house, and closed the door.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:13 pm »
Scarlet busied herself in the house as long as she could, then gathered her shooting gear and headed for the range again.  As she approached, she heard gunfire.  Someone was practicing, but the rhythm of the shots didn't sound familiar. 

She was surprised to recognize Ella, wearing britches instead of her usual skirt or divided skirt.  Ella was shooting faster than usual for her, and missing a lot more. 

Scarlet waited until Ella stopped to reload to make her presence known.  "Hi, Ella.  What's up?" 

"Hi, Scarlet.  I'm taking my own advice," replied Ella, holstering her guns and turning back to the firing line. "I" BANG! "heard" BANG! "from" BANG! "Alan." BANG! "He" BANG! "wrote" BANG! "a letter." BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Ella returned to the loading bench.  "He got back a month ago. He says he is staying in Boston until fall.  He was offered a position as a guest instructor at the medical school and agreed to take it for six months so that he can share what he heard in Vienna.  He 'suggested' that I come join him in Boston.  Of course, if I do, he is never going to come here." 

She sighed then continued, "I'm almost calm enough to write a reply.  I am needed here.  I won't leave."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »
Scarlet was shocked to hear what Ella had to say. She took a deep breath then said “Of course you needed here Ella. You’ve also become family and we’d all hate to see you go, but what is it that is best for you? Do you want to start a practice in the city or stay here, and does Allan want the same?”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2006, 05:09:03 pm »
"If Alan had asked me two weeks ago to join him in Boston for the summer, I would not have hesitated to go.  I could have traveled east with Patches and Bill, and Alan could have met me in Washington for the last leg of the trip.  That might have been a nice trip for getting reacquainted," replied Ella.  "I had told him in letters about learning to use the telegraph and that I expected to get a wire from him as soon as he arrived.  And I got replies from him that said he had received those letters.  But he was in Boston for two weeks before he wrote that letter.  I don't feel respected by him."

She sighed again before continuing, "Grammy's journals tell about when Grandpa first came to their town to practice.  He didn't take her healing skills seriously until a scarlet fever epidemic forced them to work together.  Then they fell in love and married.  My healing skills have always been overshadowed by Alan's, which seemed perfectly natural.  But I've learned a lot of practical medicine during the past 2 1/2 years, and learned a lot more independence, especially from Rose.  You and Patches are more independent, but Rose is a clearer model for how independence fits into a marriage.  I want Alan to learn from Johnny how the man's side of that kind of marriage works."

"I will send a gentler answer than would have come out of my pen an hour ago.  One reason I will give for not heading east is your condition.  I won't say any names, just that I have a patient at high risk of miscarriage that I need to keep close watch on."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 10:53:20 pm »
“When you said you and Alan were going to through some readjustments you sure weren’t exaggerating.” Scarlet smiled “I hope he realizes how lucky he is and what a great team the two of you will make with your combined knowledge.”

Scarlet’s smile turned into a grin. “If he doesn’t I’m sure there a few men around the place that will inform him how lucky he is.”

Ella knew Scarlet was referring to the doctor from the fort. There had also been a few of the ranch hands that had told Ella her husband was a lucky man.

Scarlet was not the only one the sound of gunfire had attracted, Grey Eagle rode into view. Scarlet excused herself, mounted back up and rode out to meet him.

“I didn’t expect you today.” Scarlet said as she approached.

“I came to” Grey Eagle paused trying to figure out how to say it without upsetting Scarlet.

“You came to pray for him didn’t you?” She looked over at her friend who looked incredibly guilty of the accusation. “You always seem to know when something is happening in my life.”

“We share the same blood. Sometimes the same vision.”

“I am glad my brother thinks my husband is worth praying for. It means a lot to me.”

“His time has come. I wish to pray for the husband of my sister before he rides into battle.” Grey Eagle replied.

His comment puzzled Scarlet. “Do the old ones speak of things happening beyond their home?”

“Yes. They speak of changing times.” Grey Eagle said looking into the distance. “They say things beyond our home will shape our future.”

“Sometimes the same vision Grey Eagle. You know what I ask. What have the elders seen?”

“They have seen mother earth blanketed in blood but they are unsure what this vision means. Black Wolf fears for his people while he waits more advice from the elders.”

“Must be something in the air making everybody unsure of what tomorrow holds.” Scarlet sighed.

“I must go.” Grey Eagle said looking at her. “Where shall I look next time?”

Scarlet knew he was asking where she’d be next time he came to visit. She shrugged her shoulders. “You’ve always known where I was, I spect it will be no different.”

Grey Eagle nodded his head in understanding then moved his horse out at a quick pace.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2006, 12:00:22 am »
"Scarlet, will you promise me something?" asked Ella.  "Will you let me know before you take off somewhere so that I can go with you?" 
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2006, 09:58:57 pm »
The hardest part was saying goodbye.

Knowing that there is a possibility that this will be the last time you ever see your loved ones in this world.  You hold on as tight as you can, for as long as you can.  But eventually...you must let go.

After that, it's easier.  As you ride down the trail, you begin to focus on your mission.  The sooner you get the job done, the sooner you can come home.

Fritz made about forty miles that day.  He set camp when the sun was low, tying off a picket line between two trees.  Both horses were unsaddled and wiped down, then fed.  They liked Ella's oatmeal cookies as much as he did.  Once the horses were taken care of, he made some coffee, and watched the sun set.  Fritz ate light, and looked at the stars awhile.  As he bedded down for the night, Fritz missed his bed...and the woman he shared it with.  As he drifted off, he began to dream..   

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2006, 07:01:32 pm »
He was back a Jefferson Barracks.  It was some sort of ball, in full dress uniform.  He was wearing the shoulder straps of a First Lieutenant.  On the left breast of his jacket he wore the medal.  They made him wear it at every event.  A string quartet could be heard in the background.  The tinkling of glasses, cigar smoke and small talk filled the air.  Fritz hated these things.  There were arranged to impress people you didn't like.

"Fritz?  Is that you?"

Fritz turned to see an old friend.  Sgt Gustav Geotsch. 

"Good to see you old man!  How are you?"  Gus had a cigar clenched in his teeth, as usual.  His uniform was grey.  Gus was serving in the 10th Georgia...when he was killed.

"Ah...good.  And you?"  Fritz reached for a glass from a tray, and hoped it was bourbon.

"Never better!  Glad you finally made it!"

Gus swirled away in the crowd before he could reply.  But he wasn't the only one.  They were all around him.  Old friends, long since dead.  Most had perished in the war, some on the plains.

But they were all dead.  That much was certain.

"What are you doing here?"  The voice shocked him.  She hadn't changed.  His first wife, Melissa.  She adored these parties.

"You gave all this up, and for what?  A blonde whore and a tin star!  You're worthless!!!"

"It's not like that.  I love her," Fritz replied.

Melissa said "You should go," turning her back on him.

He said "Wait!"  But she vanished among the revelers.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the large double doors.  The Officer of the Day called out, "The Guest of Honor has arrived."  Fritz ran towards the man as he pulled the latch.  The doors swung wide as blood curdling screams fill the air.  Savage Sioux poured through the opening.  Fritz instinctively reached for his Colt...but it wasn't there.  Only his sash and belt were tied about his waist.

In a moment, they were all upon him.             

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2006, 07:41:37 pm »
Fritz sat bolt upright, the hammer back on his short Colt.  He scanned the darkness for...

...nothing.

Strider looked at him and snorted, as if to say, "what?"

Frtiz tossed another piece of wood on the fire.  It was going to be a long trip.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2006, 08:54:33 pm »
Scarlet watched after Grey Eagle for a moment then turned to Ella. It was no secret that when Scarlet grew restless she could not stay put in one place, in fact along with the restlessness came the dangerous side. Scarlet didn’t know why for sure, best she could figure if she doing something dangerous it took her mind off of other things. Danger kept her focused on the task at hand.

“I promise Ella, but when I go you may want to think twice before you choose to go with me.”

Ella looked at her questioningly.

“I saw a wanted poster on Tensleep’s desk I was considering, Charley Firehorse, the one wanted for murder and arson. Or maybe I’ll give a shot at that outlaw mare the boys been tryin’ to tame.”

Ella knew the man Scarlet talked about. He’d been robbing stages and setting them on fire along with some of the passengers recently, and the horse, Ella had set two broken arms and wrapped one man’s ribs thanks to the horse Scarlet was considering.

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2006, 09:10:31 pm »
"I'm telling Alan truthfully that I'm not returning to Boston because I have a patient I need to keep close watch on," replied Ella seriously.  "So if you go off bounty-hunting, I'm coming with you.  Women die from miscarriages, far too often.  Most of the rest of the time, the miscarriage leaves her weak and sickly.    I'm not trying to keep you from activities that might trigger a miscarriage, but I want to be on hand to minimize the impact it would have on your health."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:03 pm »
Scarlet took a deep breath and slowly let it out then said. “I love you like a sister Ella, and I appreciate your concern, but please do not saddle me with the guilt feeling I am keeping you from joining Allen and I don’t want you endangering your life following me around.” 

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:55 pm »
"It's Alan who is keeping away from me, no fault of yours.  I was not planning to return to Boston, because in his letters Alan had agreed to come out here," replied Ella.  "I am going to follow you around.  You might as well get used to the idea.    But can we take a pack horse?  I've gotten used to carrying a field hospital with me."
Elegant Ella

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2006, 03:03:25 pm »
Scarlet had to smile at the get used to it statement followed immediately by the request for a pack horse in spite of the fact part of her really wished Ella would leave her alone. Scarlet knew Ella would follow her, even if she snuck off in the middle of the night. Ella was stubborn and resourceful, too much like herself and she reminded Scarlet of Becca to a point.

“Yes, we can have a pack horse.” Scarlet chuckled softly then asked “You always been this stubborn Ella?”

Offline Elegant Ella

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2006, 05:41:41 pm »
"Of course, I've always been this stubborn.  Grammy wanted me to be able and willing to stick up for my opinions.  You just hadn't seen the stubborn much since I was usually getting my point across without it."
Elegant Ella

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:03 pm »
Fritz ran a hand across his face.  There was stubble there.  He'd shave tonight if he found a good creek to camp by.  Maybe even a bath.  If not a creek, he'd have to wait until the next town. 

"This sure is a pretty country," he thought.  Fritz would see a good chunk of it on his journey North.  He adjusted the McClellen on Buddy's back, and readied for the day's ride.

Menu Editor Pro 1.0.2 | Copyright 2014, Matthew Kerle