Author Topic: NCOWS questions  (Read 27689 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: NCOWS questions
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »
Cyrille,

I did go back and read a lot of your postings, 57 pages since Feb '06.  You are new to CAS shooting (~6 months) and new to handgun shooting (~ 1 year) if I picked up on the correct information.

To start off here, you may not know but NCOWS is member driven.  We all can vote for what we want or don't.  That means that around 300 to ~700 people voted 'No' on those particular guns.  I have been in CAS for 16 years and NCOWS 8 years.  I did not have a problem believing that those guns where not replicas or copies of originals.  When NCOWS started 12 years ago, the Ruger Vaq. was new and looked like a SAA Colt and there were 'not' a lot of other choices in firearms.  When the Bisley came around we had several different Western styled guns and suppliers to choose from, so the Vaq was grandfathered but the Bisley was not accepted.  That's the way I believe it went back ~2 year ago.  So that decision or rule is not new to this Club.  But it does differ from other venues.

As far as carts.  They are conveniences, a type of added service device.  While they did not exist back then we have chosen to allow the use of them, but they must look or at least use proper materials.  I even thought of a large barrel attached to a dollie cart.  No, I do not use a cart, I use authentic designed saddlebags.  One thing you should know also, some NCOWS posses have ranges that are set up in such a manner that they do not require the use of carts and so they do not allow them.  Range/posse options.

Now back to your guns.  As RCJ mentioned you can borrow.  But you also have stated elsewhere that you have one Standard Ruger Vaq..  So I would recommend you shoot the Working Cowboy Class, where only one pistol and one pistol caliber rifle is used.

You see you still could join us.

Reconsider your feelings and positions about NCOWS rules and regs and accepted/unaccepted lists.  H$ll, I can't use my first CAS rifle anymore as a main match gun, a Win. '86 in 45-70.  SASS made that ruling change back in approx 1990 or 1991.  And it is an original, not like the angle eject 94.

Please reconsider.

Black River Smith

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »
Without seeing the actual plans I wouldn't unconditionally commit to this, but if you really wanted to use Henry Big Boys, angle eject '94 Winchesters and Ruger Bisley's as materials for building a gun cart there's a good chance it would be considered acceptable...but there are much less expensive alternatives.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 06:18:11 AM »
Not to worry; I'd sooner jump out of a perfectly good airplane than even think about turning my Wonderious Winchester'94 or Hevenly Henry BB or my Roguish Ruger Bisley into guncart parts ::)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:10:01 PM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 08:02:26 AM »
Cyrille, this is an FAQ thread.  If you want to start or continue the discussion about why which guns are allowed in NCOWS and which aren't I think that the NCOWS forum would be better suited for it.  Let's try to keep this thread for questions that have more simple answers and aren't as open to as much discussion.

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 08:10:12 AM »
Without seeing the actual plans I wouldn't unconditionally commit to this, but if you really wanted to use Henry Big Boys, angle eject '94 Winchesters and Ruger Bisley's as materials for building a gun cart there's a good chance it would be considered acceptable...but there are much less expensive alternatives.

Lone, I have to agree with him.  It would be a waste to make a cart out of those firearms.  Who knows?  He may take up bass fishing.  Those things would make excellent anchors for his boat.........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 08:16:12 AM »
The Top says that this topic shoud be moved to the NCOWs forum Arcey so I will not answer that snyde remark here nor there
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 03:59:51 AM »
I was disappointed when I found out NCOWS is not in the Phoenix,Az area,when I found out NCOWS is no where to be found in the state of Arizona, I was shocked! NCOWS is missing a BIG chunk of the "Ole West"Too bad. Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 04:29:41 AM »
This thread is starting to remind me of the same type of arguments I used to see years ago when I did CW reenacting-this is close enough,that isn't,this gun is allowed but that one isn't. The reenactment groups that I belonged too had one simple rule,"it is either period correct or it isn't" this rule kept the authenticity factor high BUT what killed a-lot of these groups where inter-group politics,that's why I hung it up. Enough said,Dusty. :-\
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 05:20:28 AM »
Dusty,
There aren't any NCOWS near me either (the closest is about 9 hours away) which is a shame. From what I have read on other boards NCOWS is really member driven and can vary greatly club to club. From what I understand of it's history it was started by old buckskinners who were getting too old to do the traditional rendezvous thing and decided to move it up about 50 years. There are clubs in CA that work that way, they have a 2 or 3 day camping event with a quarter mile trail walk using cowboy guns instead of a stand and deliver match. I would love to attend an event like that, you aren't shooting on the clock you are trying to do a period style weekend set in the second half of the 19th century. I wouldn't do that instead of SASS, I would like to do both. I think NCOWS might do better if folks didn't think of it as SASS with more period correct clothing and guns.
Oh well, like you said, enough said!  ;)
Mild Myles

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2007, 05:51:33 AM »
You know, when you did more than fifteen years as a reenactor it is hard to bring yourself to sit on a plywood horse and shoot the old winchester.All the SASS groups here in Phoenix are cool, I guess, BUT when I left the reenactment group I was in they were pretty hard core,I just did not like all the politics between groups or clubs,it lasted for years and killed several good groups in the area. I did like what I saw with NCOWS from the videos,I guess it is pretty involved to start an NCOWS group from the git go and I don't think I would have the energy to do it,very sad indeed,I'm no spring chicken! " I think NCOWS might do better if folks didn't think of it as SASS with more period correct clothing and guns." I sorry to say this but that is what comes across on the video's yes,some people(most of them)look correct and some not so BUT it looks like they are really trying to be correct and that is all you can really ask if you want to keep your group.
 Dusty.

W.T.

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 06:25:14 AM »
Dusty,
There aren't any NCOWS near me either (the closest is about 9 hours away) which is a shame...a quarter mile trail walk using cowboy guns instead of a stand and deliver match...

Mild Myles

Joined NCOWS just cause I like the philosophy, tho the nearest club is in Kentucky.  A 'Trail Wak' shoot would be just the thing; wasn't one of the pards posting here someplace looking to start an NCOWS posse down in SW Virginia?  Anything come of that?

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 06:35:37 AM »
I don't know, I just jumped in with a post then I saw this thread is from last year another reason why I should wear my glasses. Dusty.

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 07:28:12 AM »
Joined NCOWS just cause I like the philosophy, tho the nearest club is in Kentucky.  A 'Trail Wak' shoot would be just the thing; wasn't one of the pards posting here someplace looking to start an NCOWS posse down in SW Virginia?  Anything come of that?

W.T.,
Marshal Deadwood was talking about it, he was going to try and go to the NCOWS Nationals later this month in KY. I was waiting to bring up the SW VA group until after the Nationals in case he was waiting to talk to folks there. I don't mind helping out and would drive to SW VA for events when I could but I would probably only make 2 or 3 a year due to my work schedule. If nothing happens in SW VA after the Nationals then maybe we can look to other alternatives, with all the CW reenactors in VA we should be able to do something!
Mild Myles

W.T.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 07:37:53 AM »
Yep, same boat here.  Rough work schedule, long way, but at least it's in Virginny.  Hope to see more about this one.

Yeah, you'd think with all the N-SSA stuff out in the Shenandoah, NCOWS woulda found fertile soil here; guess everybody's too busy

Offline sharps54

• Top Active Citizen
  • Alias Mild Myles
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 07:52:46 AM »
W.T.,
Could be, it's hard to play when you'e not retired! Are there still buckskinner (mountain men) groups around? I wonder if they wouldn't be a good source for recruits as well, they would probably already have suitable camping and shooting areas picked out, hmm. I guess I need to get "surfing" and find out!
Mild Myles

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 06:53:46 PM »
You know, when you did more than fifteen years as a reenactor it is hard to bring yourself to sit on a plywood horse and shoot the old winchester.All the SASS groups here in Phoenix are cool, I guess, BUT when I left the reenactment group I was in they were pretty hard core,I just did not like all the politics between groups or clubs,it lasted for years and killed several good groups in the area. I did like what I saw with NCOWS from the videos,I guess it is pretty involved to start an NCOWS group from the git go and I don't think I would have the energy to do it,very sad indeed,I'm no spring chicken! " I think NCOWS might do better if folks didn't think of it as SASS with more period correct clothing and guns." I sorry to say this but that is what comes across on the video's yes,some people(most of them)look correct and some not so BUT it looks like they are really trying to be correct and that is all you can really ask if you want to keep your group.
 Dusty.

Dusty ....your words could be mine....

..." You know, when you did more than fifteen ( 27 in my case ) years as a reenactor it is hard to bring yourself to sit on a plywood horse and shoot .... ::)
I also tired of the Farbs , the politics .. & the fact that , at the Raymond 2001Tactical , a fellow was Shot for real ! course they blame the Cavalry ( saying it was small Caliber ( hell ,we were'nt even mounted or in the field at 6:45  AM when it happened. )
Here SASS is only game in State aside from W3G... I go  :-X but the Walmart Wranglers , denim shirts abound. Most everybody Has SS Ruger & Fish guns .
( I had them  ::) I sold them ... ) the fast boy's have 73's & 97 Pump's.

I would think Florida would have some NCOWS minded people.. but then on the other hand we had more than a fair share of just get by Farbs.

I've held off joining  ... rather than being the only flea on the Dog, as it were...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 07:25:54 PM »
Major2, I was starting too think I was alone on this forum,glad to see I'm not! All the years of research and money all of which are gone now-memory and money and the books(gone with the wind?). I'm finding it very difficult to find a place(club or group)to fit in with like minded people. NCOWS looks like the only group and I say looks like the only group BUT I can't say for sure that I might want to join. No NCOWS in Arizona,BUMMER! So....what does an ex-reenactor do? I shoot by myself and its fun but it ain't the same,this is so god d** sad, I could just scream! Dusty. PS: One big reason I love it here in CAS CITY is this, very few rules,the people are real nice and they behave themselves for the most part. I don't have to look at Farbs although,they may be a farb and they may think I'm farby but we just never know. A very nice place to be. The Demin shirt thing I could not do and I remember groups that wore converted postal-worker duds-a cav group,oh man, that was so bad,I hear the reenactment stuff has gotten huge now so....I guess all the farb stuff has gotten just as big,on a good note....the replica guns just keep getting better,thank God!

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 07:47:24 PM »
so decribe what the event in kc is to entail , weres the sales pitch ?
so just what is a convention ? is this a shoot ? or a meal felowship i havent found the right page to decribe what it is
thanks in advance for your info
i thinlk you should collect names & info of people awaiting a possie to start
where is the guide to start a new possie
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »
Take your questions down to the NCOWs forum, I think you'll get more looks.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
I know some NCOWS members live in the Phoenix,Az area. Is anybody planning on starting a NCOWS posse in the Phoenix,Az? Joss? Dusty.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com