Author Topic: IW Campaign Hats  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
IW Campaign Hats
« on: August 28, 2006, 08:07:46 PM »
This is probably an elementary question for some of you but not me, so here goes. What was the color of an officer's campaign hat of the earlym to mid 1870s? Had there been a change from the Civil War black slouch hat yet?  Guess I'll have to do something "Yankee" for future musters or just to shoot in even though it pains my old Rebel heart.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: IW Campaign Hats
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:16:36 PM »
The Brown Slouch was around in the 1880s through the Spanish American War.  I also reckon that you would have to get down into the unit and timeframe, but you won't go wrong with a black slouch hat   ;D
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:05:51 PM »
The Civil war slouch/Hardee was replaced by the Infamous black "Andrews" floppy folder in 1872.   This was replaced by a conventional black campaign hat with a fore and aft crease in 1875.  The First "drab" or tan campaign hat was issued in 1881, and remained with minor changes, mostly in vent patterns, until the issuance of the Montana peak in 1905.

The Andrews was hated by most everyone, and most wore a simple black campaign/slouch thru its issue era.  I would look for either a Hardee had, stripped of badges and crushed to the desired shape, or the later black campaign hat.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:49:00 AM »

Offline Wavey1us

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:18:49 AM »
As mentioned, the issue hat in 1872 was the Andrews Hat.  The Officers ANdrews Hat was made with a little better material (binding, hat material, etc).  Since officers purchased their own clothing, you can use any type of hat that would fit the period.  a good source to view pictures is US Army in West.  By the 1870s, the Hardee hat was dispensed with for dress wear.

Bill

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:33 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen -

If you are talking "in the field" the most uniform thing about officers' hats was...there was no uniformity.  The Andrews hat was certainly present (I believe Benteen wore one), but so was almost anything else that was available, including left-over slouch, civilian felt, and many wore straw "planter's" hats.  Some would wear officer's gold and black "acorn" hatband cords, plus the stamped brass crossed sabers, some would do without.  For reference, see "With Crook in the Black Hills", a photo book taken during one of the campaigns.  There are grouped shots of most of his officers, mostly 2nd & 3rd Cavalry.  Take your pick!  :)

In garrison, of course, it was a different story.  There the kepi was the official item of headgear for officers, though it depended again on who the post commander was and what his own policy was, absent any visiting inspectors, higher echelon commanders, etc.  ;)

I personnally wear a straw planter's hat with officers hat cord and crossed sabers pinned to the front of the crown.  That is in summer.  In winter, I wear a muskrat fur cap sans insignia.

Hope this is of interest...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »
Thanks Guys!  I have the palm leaf planter's hat and a tan felt hat so all I need to get is the black slouch 'cause I ain't gonna wear no Hardee or Andrews hat. They look stupid and Major Matt knows we don't want no stupid troopers.

BTW Major Matt, why are the Marines STILL looking for a few good men?  (I await your, always snappy, comeback ;>)!)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 05:45:06 PM »
You know Larry,

There have been times when I actually felt sorry for you....that's right felt sorry you.  See, you have gone through life never knowing what it was like to be the Worlds Finest.  I liken that to be being a side kick and carrying around the Hero's sweaty athletic supporter... ;D  Poor Larry, always second best... ;D

Whitty enough for you?   :)
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 05:50:10 PM »
Did you know Custer wore Jock Straps?   ;D 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:54:02 PM »
Richard,  And here I thought 5 years of Special Forces duty with resultant travel and adventure could make up for not being a Marine. Now I am crushed. Ah, the things our government can make you believe. Darn!!

Del, WHAT!?!?

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:11:04 PM »
LOL....Marine Envy is an ugly yet understandable thing.... ;D :D
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »
As an old, retired US Army Cheif Warrant Officer 3, I can truthfully say that there is NOTHING in this world like a US Marine.  They are infinitely better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  However, I would prefer their company to any other service when the fecal matter hits the oscilating fan.  Semper Fi to all my friends that are and were MARINES!
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline the_armywarfighter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 04:33:19 PM »
What was the correct style of 1883 Campaign Hat worn by Army Officers in the field during the Geronimo campaign of 1886?  How dark or light was the color? Did it have bound brims or did they wear the enlisted version with the rows of stitching?  What type of vents did it have?  Were linings worn inside the crowns?  Were officer's hat cords worn on them?  Most of all, who are the suppliers that make the correct reproductions of it?
Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com