Whatcha ponderin', Pards?

Heck, yes!!!
27 (77.1%)
Naw, don't bother.
5 (14.3%)
New ideas?
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Ya reckon Ruger oughta keep buildin' the "old model" Vaqueros & Bisley Vaqueros?  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
I would really like to see Ruger keep a-buildin' the (larger sized) Vaqueros & Bisley Vaqueros & Birdhead Vaqueros. We have a whole passel of 'em.  BIG AN" HEAVY!!!
Do many of you Pards also reckon they oughta?

I'm way-partial to the Blackhawk sized six-guns.  No offense to the New "New Vaqueros".  Jus' a preference.

Thanks for votin'.
BTW---Ya don't have to be a RATS member to vote!

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline REELFOOT REGULATOR

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
YES! Even though i have small hands i prefer the larger frame with slimmer grips. Also the new RV's that i have handled and shot seem to be lacking in the quality dept. Just my opinion
NRA
SASS
IDPA
SMOKEY BOTTOM GUN CLUB
WEST TN LONGRIDERS(HOME OF THE FARRINGTON BROS GANG)
COLLECTOR & SHOOTER OF MILSURPS

Offline Calamity JoAnne

• SASS 38400
  • Citizen
  • CJ & the Gunwagon
  • Liked:
I have two of the 7.5" .44 K-Vaqueros.  My hands aren't very large, but I like them better than the smaller new Vaqueros.  In fact, I have installed larger grips to hang onto those .44's.
So I'm voting for the big ones.
Calamity JoAnne

Advertising

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
I'd like to have another pair in 44-40, to stuff some Black Powder in.  got a pair of 45's that like it pretty good.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Howdy, Pards!

Yes, I'd like to see them keep building the Old Vaqueros.  But I doubt they will, given the investment they have in the New Vaqs' tooling.  In addition...and I have NOT verified it..., my understanding was that one thing influencing the decision was the fact that the Old Vaquero and Blackhawk tooling had worn out!

I think Ruger might have been ahead to have brought back the XR-3 gripframe slightly redesigned to fit up on the old Vaquero cylinder frames, offering them as an option.  Ruger's management has changed considerably over the past serveral years, and the Old Man had "crossed the divide", along with one of his sons.  The other son has "ridden off into the sunset", having resigned as honcho.  Sometimes, in the course of corporation history, the visionary founders, dispite attempting to bring along heirs and proteges', are just a hard act to follow. 

This isn't an answer to the question, exactly... But, it's the best I can tell you.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Dogwoman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
yes BUT
I'm really having a problem with my Ruger I bought last April.  We sent it back to Ruger (our expense $60) and they 'fixed it'.  Fired 7 rounds through the 'new improved' gun and the cylinder jammed (would not advance, hammer would not cock).

Sent it back, Ruger covers shipping this time.  Replaces cylinder, hand, does work on barrel and hammer and other internal parts.

It's WORSE.

Tomorrow, DogWoman is calling them and they won't like me AT ALL.

I had to shoot HOW with a back up gun.  Now I'll be shooting the Utah State match again with the same back up.

I'm really irritated.  I can't believe they are range testing this gun since the second time we got it back it jammed on the SECOND ROUND.  We have owned over a dozen Rugers over the years and LOVE THEM.  This really has me frosted.

So, yes I wish they'd make the old Ruger Bisley BUT SURE HOPE IT WORKS LIKE MY OTHER ONE!
SASS 22073
NRA Life
Past Quartermaster, Wahsatch Desperadoes
Deseret Historical Shooting Society
Wasatch Summit Regulators
Guide Dog Puppy Raiser

Offline Henry Logan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
I voted yes, but right now mine are at a premium. More on the market and mine go down. Of course I have no intention of selling. I love my 44-40's. They have had approx. 10,000 rds each run through them and just keep on runnin'. ;D
You don't measure wealth by how much money you have.

member Verdigris Valley Renegades
SASS # 3709
RATS #206

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I own 4 Vaqueros.  All the big frame version, all 45 caliber.  I wish Ruger would stop making the big ones so my 4 would start gaining collector value.  ::)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
Well, to tell the truth, shortly after purchasing my first SS Large frame Vaquero .45 Colt caliber w/ 5 1/2 inch barrel I wanted another but by the time I had saved enough, the OM Vaqueros had been replaced by the NV. Look as I might I couldn't find an OM anywhere in my area and believe me I looked. Mr. Gregg offered to send me one but the added s/h expense put the revolver just outta reach, so I kept looking.
  Two weekends ago I went to a gun show in my area and lo and behold, guess what caught my eye  when I entered to door? Yep thar she was a SS 5 1/2  inch barrel .45 Colt caliber OM Ruger Vaquero w/ Ruger faux ivory grips! Needless to say that OM Vaquero now rests in a new home! So YES! I think Ruger should go back to producing their OM Vaquero as there is still a demand for them. But I sure am glad I have a pair of the 'older' OM Vaqueros! ;D

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
I guess I am in the minority.  I owned an old model and didn't like it.  It was a 5.5 stainless in .45 LC, too big for me.  Shot it with a real colt and decided it was just too different.  Now I own a 50th ann. blackhawk and plan on buying a new model one of these days.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Hey Man, whatever Ruger fills yer hand. Go for it! ;D
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Tuco Forsyth

• stercus accidit
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
 Size does matter. ;D
1*

Offline Dog River Dan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
I like the feel of the OM Vaquero, it should be kept in the Ruger line-up.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
I own 4 Vaqueros.  All the big frame version, all 45 caliber.  I wish Ruger would stop making the big ones so my 4 would start gaining collector value.  ::)

Bingo  Danny this should be the number one reason they should stop making them...Just keep improving ther New Models.  Our Vaquero's will never be worth more than we paid for them if they keep making them.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I agree with Mr. Dog River,
I bought my OMVs to shoot--- not let it lay in a gun case, safe or cabinet gathering dust and value. The value that will accrue, if any, will be after we are gone. So I say shoot'em and enjoy 'em while you can.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Well Cyrille... I do shoot 'em.  Lots!  They sure ain't a layin' around collecting dust in the gun safe, but I would still like to see them gaining collector value.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
A revolver ain't like a car, You shouldn't hav ta wait 25 years or longer for it to become a classic.
 If Ruger has stopped making the OMV completely I believe it will be classical within five years after the current OMVs now on the market are sold out. If, however Ruger does start producing them again [which I doubt seriously] Then it will a long, long time before anyone will see an increase in the value of that particular model. Unless, of course a sub-catagory is created which seperates the OMVs of today from the NOMVs of tomorrow (New... Old Model Vaqueros.)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Well Cyrille... I do shoot 'em.  Lots!  They sure ain't a layin' around collecting dust in the gun safe, but I would still like to see them gaining collector value.   8)

Neither do mine......and it's BP in them too boot...............If I buy a 1st generation Colt made 1873 I am going to shoot it.  Just like a classic car it's not going to sit in the damn garage so the piegons can roost on it
Mathew 5.9

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
I figure that they should just produce the 44 Mag version with an optional 44/40 and 44 Special cylinders. The 45s and 357s are well covered with the new model. The odd run of 45s would walk out the door as well.

Now I just gotta find an old model 44 to match my existing Vaquero revolver. Any guys from Australia want to sell one?

Mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Kulshan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Yes, the new ones are just too small!
SASS 20262 L/R

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com