Author Topic: 1895 Navy Holster Pattern  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
1895 Navy Holster Pattern
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
Hello!
     Does anyone have a copy of the drawings of the Navy Pattern holsters?  I'm talking about drawings like the ones produced by the Rock Island Arsenal for the Army's holsters.  A friend of mine is trying to make one or two and the original drawings would be very helpful.  If anyone has a fairly large copy of the Army holsters, that might also be helpful.  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1895 Navy Holster Pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
About the best I can suggest is to get ahold of a copy of Meadows' "U.S. Military Holsters and Pistol Cartridge Boxes".  There doesn't seem to be any mention of a Pattern 1895 holster, but some span the period of 1881-1889 in the Army holsters. The Navy didn't adopt the .38 Colts revolvers until 1889, and there are photos on p. 346, but no drawings.  There is a comment in the Army revolver holster section stating that the Navy holsters for the .38 revolver were similar to the Pattern 1881 Army holsters, but without the second hole in the flap (for the S&W Schofields).  Also, if I'm reading this right, the Navy holsters were worn butt rearward.

Hope this helps a bit.

Your obdt servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »
I knew Trailrider would know the answer to that question.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:10:49 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
 Prior to the adoption of the 1889, Naval revolvers were worn in short open scabbards called "Frogs" with the butt to the rear.  Indeed, with the adoption of the 1889, the navy pretty much adopted a modified Army pattern M1881 Mod 5, altered by rotating the body to place the butt to the rear, shorting it for the 6" barrel and with only one hole in the flap, as noted.  Trailrider is a fine source, Buck at Coon Creek Old West might have a pattern you could use too.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
I could probably come up with a reasonable facimilie of the 1889 Navy holster, but currently I am so behind with everything (not to mention I am typing this on my laptop after my desktop confuser got poluted by some hyenas from England...at least that's what their Trojan horse wanting me to buy some of their anti-virus software, wrote.  Don't worry, this one is "clean".  Was checked out by the pros who are de-lousing the desktop.

If you can wait until sometime in mid-April, I can probably lay out a pattern.  Oh, BTW, is this for the M1889 .38 revolver?  I think I made a pattern for one of the new S&W's that approximate the M1889's.

Check "six" frequently!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
When did the Navy adopt the Canvas "Mills" holster?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
When did the Navy adopt the Canvas "Mills" holster?

According to Meadows' (pp350) in 1905.  One pattern date range 1905-1911, another 1909-1912 or so.

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com