Author Topic: Custer, Little Bighorn battlefield visit.  (Read 7010 times)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Custer, Little Bighorn battlefield visit.
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:25:39 PM »
Howdy all....we are heading west this fall for the great all American road trip and one stop is the Little Big Horn battlefield.  Since I was a little boy I have heard about Custer.....my dad bought me a record about it when I was 5.  I must have played that 500 times as a kid.  :o I have also read a bunch about it over the years and finally I get to visit the Little Bighorn.  

Can you guys recommend some books/reading materials about the battle?  I am especially looking for recommendations that will give me some good familiarity with how things played out on the ground.  In other words when we get there, I hope I will have a good feel for the ground and flow of the battle.  I will have the wife and 2 daughters in tow and want to be able to explain it well to them.

Thanks!
GAF#379

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Custer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »
Archaeology, History, and Custer's Last Battle: The Little Big Horn Re-examined by Fox. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »
Archaeology, History, and Custer's Last Battle: The Little Big Horn Re-examined by Fox. 

Thanks!!  Added it to my Amazon cart.
GAF#379

Advertising

Re: Custer, Little Bighorn battlefield visit.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:11:27 AM »

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »
While you're there it is worth while to do one of the guided tours.  Our was low key, but really knew his stuff.  I've read a fair amount about the battle, but he helped me gain a much better "on-the-ground" perspective and understanding.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
Sagebrush...thanks for the tip.  Is there a visitor/ranger station to check in at and find out about the tour?  Are the a private operation?
GAF#379

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:27:00 AM »
There is a visitors center, parking is adequate but somewhat limited.  If you are in an RV or travel trailer, find a camp ground near by and drop your rig and go to the battle field in your car or tow rig.  The first time I went, I was pulling a 5th wheel and could not turn around.  I had to pull thru the entire park to the turn around near Reno's defensive position.  There is a farm museum nearby that is almost as interesting as the battlefield.  One thing to remember:  Custer fought the tactics of the time.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
I'd also mention that the Fetterman battle, Hayfield fight, Wagon Box fight sites and Forts C.F Smith, Reno, and Phil Kearney are all relatively near by.

How long will your road trip take? If you're coming back east just before the first of next month, you ought to drop a little south and swing by the Grand Muster.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
I'd also mention that the Fetterman battle, Hayfield fight, Wagon Box fight sites and Forts C.F Smith, Reno, and Phil Kearney are all relatively near by.

How long will your road trip take? If you're coming back east just before the first of next month, you ought to drop a little south and swing by the Grand Muster.

Sadly, I cannot make it to the Grand Muster.  We have to be out in MA during that time.  I had planned on being there but my 88 yr old mother is not doing well so we will be there. 

We are heading west from MI around Labor day, hoping to miss the crowds at Yellowstone etc.

I was actually going to do another thread later about what else to see as we swing west.  Thanks for mentioning those.  Are any of the forts active/interactive?  We love that stuff and usually do memberships to things like that(Plimoth Plantation, Fort Michilimackinac,Fort Mackinac etc) so we can go repeatedly.
GAF#379

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Sagebrush...thanks for the tip.  Is there a visitor/ranger station to check in at and find out about the tour?  Are the a private operation?

They are just inside the door at the main visitor center.  Easy to find and easy to arrange.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 06:28:46 AM »
Sadly, I cannot make it to the Grand Muster.  We have to be out in MA during that time.  I had planned on being there but my 88 yr old mother is not doing well so we will be there. 

We are heading west from MI around Labor day, hoping to miss the crowds at Yellowstone etc.

I was actually going to do another thread later about what else to see as we swing west.  Thanks for mentioning those.  Are any of the forts active/interactive?  We love that stuff and usually do memberships to things like that(Plimoth Plantation, Fort Michilimackinac,Fort Mackinac etc) so we can go repeatedly.

I forgot to mention the Rosebud Battle site. It's also pretty near the Little Bighorn.

The forts I mentioned are nonexistent today (You can find the site and read the plaque) except for the partially reconstructed Ft. Phil Kearney

Well, If you're going to Yellowstone, I'd go to Cody WY and see the Buffalo Bill Cody Center. (If you do be sure to have the prime rib buffet at the Irma Hotel) Then I'd swing south and visit Ft. Laramie WY, and Forts Robinson, Hartsuff and Atkinson in Nebraska. All four do some living history, but it depends on the weekend how much.

Unless you are taking a really extended trip you might run out of time before you run out of places to visit.  ::)

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:54:58 AM »
We are definitely stopping in Cody WY...prime rib buffet you say :o   ;D

We are planning on being on the road for a couple of weeks at least.  We will hit the Rosebud battlefield.

Thanks for the tips on the other forts.  We should be able to stop at one or 2 of them.

How would you rank them?  Most interesting one?

Thanks!
GAF#379

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »
The Rosebud battle played a large part in the Custer fight.  In a limited amount of time you have I would put the must see places.

1. Little Big Horn
2. Fort Phil Kearney  (Fetterman)
3. Fort Laramie

The Cody Museum takes a LONG time to go thru if you are interested in American Indian items and guns.  I have spent 2 full days in the gun museum alone.

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »
I read somewhere that the Cody museum is the 3rd ranking museum in the U.S. right after the Smithsonian and a museum in NY that I can't remember the name of.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
I read somewhere that the Cody museum is the 3rd ranking museum in the U.S. right after the Smithsonian and a museum in NY that I can't remember the name of.

Guggenheim?
GAF#379

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
This may not be what you're looking for but the guy who runs this is a good guy and knows what he is about.  I've worked with him a couple of time at at Cavalry Competitions.

http://www.uscavalryschool.com/

SQQ

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »
Most interesting one?

Thanks!
Ft. Hartsuff, but then I'm prejudiced

Offline SgtRickHenry

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
FYI when walking around at the Custer Battlefield site, one should be mindful of rattlesnakes (the no-legged variety) especially in the grassy areas. Wearing closed toe shoes or maybe boots should be given favorable consideration. One should be particularly watchful in that regard, if accompanied by children or pets.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip thru there in '98. In retrospect I wish I'd taken one of the tours.  Just wanted some time for reflection but definitely will next time. One can never see everything in a single adventure.  Hope you have a really Great trip.
Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
An NCOWS Posse

NCOWS, SASS, & NRA Life
Fly Navy, Support Your Local Police

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
It sounds like your family enjoys standing buildings and guided tours or living history.  With that in mind I recommend:

1. Ft. Laramie WY, National Park Indian Wars post with plenty of restored buildings

2. Ft. Robinson NE, NE state park, IW Fort with original buildings.  Army's remount depot between WWI and WWII. 

3. Ft. Hartsuff NE, smaller IW post with great buildings, Pitspitr could tell you more about tour info.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »
How far west are you going? Ft. Vancouver in Washington State is worth a few hours. It's a bit early in the westward expansion period but shows how Hudson's Bay Company trading posts operated.  When the living history folks are present, it is very informative.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:26 AM »
FYI when walking around at the Custer Battlefield site, one should be mindful of rattlesnakes (the no-legged variety) especially in the grassy areas. Wearing closed toe shoes or maybe boots should be given favorable consideration. One should be particularly watchful in that regard, if accompanied by children or pets.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip thru there in '98. In retrospect I wish I'd taken one of the tours.  Just wanted some time for reflection but definitely will next time. One can never see everything in a single adventure.  Hope you have a really Great trip.
Don't they have most of the battlefield fenced off now?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com