Author Topic: got some new boots !  (Read 21792 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: got some new boots !
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »
I bought a pair of the Ft Western Boots and love them

My only problem was that in the 1850s, (when I am reenacting) most of the boots out west had a one piece toe and front shaft ... but by making a one piece buckless spur strap, I covered the 'modern' (circa 1880s on) 'keyhole joint and they look like the 1850 when I need them to ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »
If you are going to cover them with leggings Surplus navy boon dockers actually look a lot like the shoes worn by the army during the late 1800s.  They were close enough I pulled a 3d Place military costume at WR

They run about 50 bucks.  There is an out fit in Chicago that carries them.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
Capt. Dan,
I got a pair of them "infantry" boots from CAB a few years back. It has been a pretty good boot, but after a 2 day match, I know I have been wearing them.
They have held up well though, even though they have been thoroughly soaked with rain and snow more than a few times.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:47:37 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Time will tell - I hope the off the shelf boots work.  Even more interesting will be the custom boots they measured me for.  Hope I can report they were money well spent - if they suck, will let you folks know that as well.

Do not think I have exaggerated expectations, but would actually like a great pair of boots that fit my foot.

For the most part I was always able to find boots that fit in the army after basic training anyway.  The initial boots from the reception center were a little big.

Seems like most of today's boot makers only make wide, very wide and damn near as wide as the Mississippi
having 17 inch calves sure does not help when getting period type boots either.  Went to Wild West Merc once and a lot of their boots were way to small in the shaft.  Not knocking the store, just the folks that make boots make them for the average calf, which ain't me.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
I know what you mean. I have large calves too and a regular boot won't fit me anymore. I had to give my old pair of mule ear boots to my son because I couldn't squeeze my leg into them anymore. That is why I got the pair from Fort Western. The leg part has cuts in it that look like a design and they have a stretch material in them that allows them to fit my leg. I can even tuck my pants down inside them for that old west look. At $130.00 I believe I got a good deal. Just wish the soles were more period correct is all.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »
Rubber soles were not the most common sole in the era, but they were there. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
I know what you mean. I have large calves too and a regular boot won't fit me anymore. I had to give my old pair of mule ear boots to my son because I couldn't squeeze my leg into them anymore. That is why I got the pair from Fort Western. The leg part has cuts in it that look like a design and they have a stretch material in them that allows them to fit my leg. I can even tuck my pants down inside them for that old west look. At $130.00 I believe I got a good deal. Just wish the soles were more period correct is all.
Ended up getting similar boots preacher boots as I recall. Think they were on close out for like 99 bucks.  Ended up in 7.5s due to square toe.  Problem is the toe is long enough but some kind of stiffner in there makes it really tight top to bottom so presses on tops of toes, hurts after a while so don't wear them much.  Have been storing boots with shoe trees in them  kinda expanding the vertical distance in the toe area.  Getting more comfortable. 

Maybe I should just fill the boot with warm water, let soak in tub for 10 min then wear till dry.

Occasionally wear with cowboy clothes.  Never with a uniform - have proper boots now more or less.  Will put a rubber heal on CAboots.  current is either hard leather or synthetic - kinda slick  getting way to old to fall on my kyster from a slick heal.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/usn-chukka-boot-/    with leggings about as good as it gets.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:32 PM »
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/usn-chukka-boot-/    with leggings about as good as it gets.

Thems the ones I wear with leggins or w/o for Civil war period.  Cat Balue (sp?) called broghams at WR  Was wearing sack coat, 1858 dark blue officers pants, kepi and a NBS 1850 foot officers sword and 1858 remmie to take the 3d place.

Cowtown Scout took 2nd in his engineer uniform
1st place went to a guy dressed as TR complete with the glasses on a ribbon.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
Yep, got 1st military at the 05 SASS Convention wearing those.  Along with an 1884 light artillery sgt dress uniform.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »
Those navy chukka boots look great! but unfortunately, no 11 1/2 or 12 wide sizes. Guess I'll stick with my "Wal Mart Brogans" for now....

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »
Luckily the 9.5 fit me pretty well but for some reason rub a blister on inside of right heel.  Cannot feel anything out of place with the shoe.  Spent many years in the infantry rarely ever got a blister after basic training back in 68 even with doing 12 - 25 mile road marches.  Usually wore the old dress socks next to feet and the wool socks over them.  Think my Drill Sergeant recommended that.  Something about the socks rubbing on socks and not the foot,  Seemed to work even if only Voo Doo.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
I am going to El Paso this weekend.  Fly out 09:30 friday.  Will stop at CA Boots and see what fits my foot.  The old metal shoe sizer at Sportsman's Wearhouse says between 10 and 10.5 B.  Most boots are way to wide, offer no support and end up with really sore feet at the end of the day.  Hope I am a standard size so I dont have to pay extra for custom fitted.

Will let you know how things turn out.  In the mean time 9.5 regular navy boon dockers work ok for a close to period shoe.  Get them for $50 out of a chicago army navy store (on-line)

Made the trip to El Paso, forgot to update.  CABoots had me try on a pair of 8.5 D or E.  They actually fit.  These were thier stock boots so $190 vs $400.  Feel good look good, will need to put on a rubber heel, come with hard leather I think.  Would put on taps but have tile floors in the house - mama would kill me.
Did have foot measured and my Nacona's (I was married in) duplicated, only to fit my foot that has expanded almost as much as my waist.
Wonder ween the dress boots will arrive.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
Those navy chukka boots look great! but unfortunately, no 11 1/2 or 12 wide sizes. Guess I'll stick with my "Wal Mart Brogans" for now....
You might try Eureka Arsenal.  Jim Kanne has a lot of used prison issue shoes.  You'd have to dye them black, but that's not a problem.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY3JAA/ref=asc_df_B000EY3JAA1679533/?tag=nextagus0052547-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000EY3JAA&linkCode=asn

THis is a VERY comfortable shoe I've found for under $50 at JC Penny,  with a square toe it looks great under a set of Leggings.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
http://www.rockport.com/day2night-desert-boot-mens/d2ndesertboot,default,pd.html?dwvar_d2ndesertboot_color=d2ndesertboot_pineconedarkbrown&start=24&cgid=mens-footwear-categories-all-mens-shoes&dyncatsale=null&dyncatnew=null

These look interesting as well, if I can find them.

Those look good, but for that price, you can get a pair of 1892 boots made!

Was walking through Target the other day with my wife, and right there on the end of the sack in the shoe department...so-called "desert boots" that are nearly a dead ringer for civil war brogans, but with a rubber sole. The toe is a bit round, not as square as brogans, and they're suede(sp?), but I expect if you treated them with some leather conditioner and didn't brush them, they'd look a lot like rough out leather. BUT, they're in the womens department, so they're waaaaayyyy too small for me.

Anyway, now I know they're calling this style boot a "desert boot" instead of a chukka, so that's  what I'll search.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
Actually the dress boots arrived the day after my last post.  Look and feel great, but way to expensive to wear cleaning the barn

CABoots does a great job but cost a bit.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com