Author Topic: Anyone have a Presidio 76  (Read 1614 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Anyone have a Presidio 76
« on: May 03, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »
Watching YouTube video on the 76, and saw a couple about the Presidio 76, a recreation of a Texas Rangers rifle. Wondering who has one.
King Medallion

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Anyone have a Presidio 76
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:56:17 PM »
I have one:

Ordered it right after it was announced and took about 6 months to get it.

Mine is exceptionally well made (like most all Uberti products) its very accurate with my smokeless handloads and is very fast handling and points well in the offhand position.

The one thing that I don’t like about it is the ladder sight.

When folded down the rifle shoots about 5-6” high at 100 yards and once you flip it up (even at its lowest vertical setting) the POI is miles higher than the POA at all suitable ranges for this carbine.

POA was the center of the center diamond.

To regulate the POI to the POA I had to built up th front sight with solder and file it down.

Here it is along side my Chaparral in 50/95 (the Chappy is an exceptional shooter as well).

I like mine (even though I paid through the nose to get it on the first run) I don’t shoot it near enough as brass is somewhat hard to get and I haven’t gotten around to making my on out of 50 AK brass.

A few more pics:

As you can see the engraving on the side plate is tastefully done and most people who view/handle the rifle don’t even notice it.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »
Back in the late 1980s I bought a junker 1876 in Tucson, AZ. It's barrel had been cut down to around 22" and the magazine tube was also cut down, but extended 3-4 inches out of the forearm. The bore was a sewer pipe to look through so I sent it to Cliff LaBounty somewhere up in the Pacific NW (Oregon or Washington, can't remember which).

He reborred and relined it to a new and shiny 45-60. Don't remember the twist I requested but the groove diameter was .457". I cut down 45-70 brass and loaded Lyman's 295g 458" cast bullet. My 1-20 alloy brought the weight up to right around 300g. Can't remember exactly but the load was something like 55g of FFg GOEX and the bullets were lubed with SPG. I think the magazine held 4 rounds and with one in the chamber and the hammer on the substantial safety notch I had a really cool five shooter.

Busting rocks in the desert and mountains of Southern Arizona, imagining they were highway, men or outlaws I was pursuing, was great fun. Sadly it got sold along with all my other 19th Century guns when life happened, as it frequently does.

Still this Presidio 76 is the kissin' cousin to my old, rebuilt 1876.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:26:05 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »
 ATCDoktor, That is a sweet looking rifle. Carbine? I don't like those ladder sights either, I have always replaced them with Buckhorn sights of some sort. Ever think of sending is off to get it Case Colored?
King Medallion

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 11:21:17 AM »
The only thing prettier than a lever action ,, 2 of 'um,, ;D nuff said !!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
I don't like those ladder sights either, I have always replaced them with Buckhorn sights of some sort.

I would like to swap the ladder sight on the Presidio put for a buckhorn too but they cut the dovetail so close to the receiver that any standard sized buckhorn sight wouldn%u2019t fit.

It would end up sitting on top of then receiver.

Here%u2019s a pic of the ladder sights proximity to the receiver:

I%u2019d go with a tang sight but on a rifle (carbine) of this type it just wouldn%u2019t look right and honestly I don%u2019t think I%u2019d get the good out of one reference the short distances (150 yards and closer) I shoot.

As far as sending it off and having it case colored is concerned, part of the appeal of this specific model (to me) is its blued finish.

I do dearly love a color cased frame but the Chaparral (albeit chemically colored) scratches that itch nicely for me:

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »
The colors on that Chappy are very nice, indeed.

As for the Uberti rear sight, back when they used to make yellowboy rifles with that ladder sight too close to the receiver, some folks put on a buckhorn turned around backward, but that shortens up the sight radius (and looks funny).  On mine, I put in a folding leaf rear sight (mine came from a Ruger 10-22).  Works fine.  Doesn't have an elevation adjustment, but the center piece of the sight blade can be moved up and down to adjust the depth of the notch.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 08:28:00 PM »
Maybe a barrel mounted Skinner peep?
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »
Watching YouTube video on the 76, and saw a couple about the Presidio 76, a recreation of a Texas Rangers rifle. Wondering who has one.

Get Ya one King . Look's like they shoot pretty dang good . ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22:29 AM »
I have one:

Ordered it right after it was announced and took about 6 months to get it.

Mine is exceptionally well made (like most all Uberti products) its very accurate with my smokeless handloads and is very fast handling and points well in the offhand position.

The one thing that I don’t like about it is the ladder sight.

When folded down the rifle shoots about 5-6” high at 100 yards and once you flip it up (even at its lowest vertical setting) the POI is miles higher than the POA at all suitable ranges for this carbine.

POA was the center of the center diamond.

To regulate the POI to the POA I had to built up th front sight with solder and file it down.

Here it is along side my Chaparral in 50/95 (the Chappy is an exceptional shooter as well).

I like mine (even though I paid through the nose to get it on the first run) I don’t shoot it near enough as brass is somewhat hard to get and I haven’t gotten around to making my on out of 50 AK brass.

A few more pics:

As you can see the engraving on the side plate is tastefully done and most people who view/handle the rifle don’t even notice it.
                 Nice looking pair ATCDoktor  and good shooting . ,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »
Wonder what happened to that original?
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
Don't know but it would be a Hoot to see it . Really Cool story with that one . ,,,DT

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »
A few years ago, I got a call from a guy who I think worked at the Ranger Museum in Waco.  I can't remember his name, but he was telling about this gun.  It was my understanding that it had been donated and was going to be put on display at the Waco museum.  I was curious about the gun and asked for the serial number so I could check the records at the Cody museum, but he would not give it to me.  If anyone knows the serial number of this gun, please let me know.  I have my suspicions that the barrel and tube had been cut off during it's period of use and the buttstock was off an 1876 carbine.   Not sure why they put that rear sight on the reproduction.  That sight was standard on the Henry and early 1866 Winchester rifle.  It was never used on the 1876 model and certainly not on the .50 Express.  The Express caliber guns had two sights offered as standard.  One was the long leaf rear sight (called sporting leaf rear sight) usually marked 1876.  This sight  was also available for 1876 carbines in a short version with graduation markings on the reverse side of the leaf.  They were made this way so the sight could be mounted backwards in the earlier guns that had the dovetail close to the receiver ring.  This reverse marking configuration is also found on the longer leaf sight marked 1876.  The other sight fitted to Express caliber guns was a special short buckhorn with an elevator specific to the Express caliber.  The special order sight most often used was the short 3 leaf express sight (#34) often seen on the model 1894 Winchester rifle.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 02:20:30 PM »
I was at the Ranger museum in Waco  3-4 years ago, I did not see that gun there, pretty sure I'd remember it. Very nice place, I spent a good portion of the day there.
King Medallion

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:28 PM »
The phone call I got may have only been a couple of years ago.  As I remember, it was only a few months after the phone call that I read about the possibility that a reproduction gun was in the works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com