Author Topic: Dominion of Canada Wimbledon Shooting Team - 1889  (Read 3245 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Dominion of Canada Wimbledon Shooting Team - 1889
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »
1889 was the last year that the British National Rifle Association's Imperial Cup shooting competition was held on Wimbledon Common.  The following year, the event was moved to Bisley. 

This is a photograph of the 1889 Dominion of Canada team, posed in Dress Uniform.   The members of the Team were marksmen drawn from various units of the Canadian Militia.  The different styles of uniform and accoutrements (for Infantry, Rifles, etc.) are quite evident - as are a number of Regimental differences.

Note, also, the impressive array of shooting medals worn by a couple of them -  Pte. Armstrong (3rd from left, middle row) and S.Sgt. McVittie (3rd from left, rear row.)

-                        Dominion of Canada Wimbledon Team - 1889                           -

(Left to Right)
Front row:   Pte. J. Horsey,  45th West Durham Bttn. of Infantry;   Lt. W.E. Jamieson,  43rd Ottawa and Carleton Bttn. of Rifles;   Lieut. J.A. Wilson,  33rd Huron Bttn. of Infantry;  Lieut. C.H. Dimock,  78th Colchester, Hants and Pictou Battalion of Infantry;  Maj. A.P. Sherwood,  43rd  Ottawa and Carleton Bttn. of Rifles.

Middle row, seated:  Maj. Egan,  63rd Halifax Bttn. of Rifles;  Cpl. Crowe,  1st Brig. Fd. Arty.;  Pte. Armstong,  The Governor General’s Foot Guards;  Sgt. J. Ogg,  1st Brig. Fd. Arty.;  Lt. W. Conroy (?),  30th Wellington Bttn. of Rifles;  Lt. R. Blackmore,   63rd Halifax Bttn. of Rifles;  Capt. J. Maynard Rogers,  43rd   Ottawa and Carleton Bttn. of Rifles.

Rear row, standing:  Sgt. J. Mitchell,  10th Bttn. Royal Grenadiers;  Georg. J. Rolston,  20th Halton Bttn. “Lorne Rifles”;  S.Sgt. R. McVittie.  10th Royal Grenadiers;  Capt. John Hood, Adjutant,  5th Bttn. “Royal Scots of Canada”;  Maj. B.A. Weston,  66th Bttn. “The Princess Louise Fusiliers”;  Lt. Col. Bacon,  Commandant;  Sgt. Mumford,  63rd Halifax Bttn. of Rifles;  S.Sgt. Curzon,  10th Bttn.  Royal Grenadiers;  S.Sgt. Ashall,  2nd Bttn. Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada;  S.Sgt. Corbin,  63rd Halifax Bttn. of Rifles.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dominion of Canada Wimbledon Shooting Team - 1889
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 02:46:15 AM »
RJR,

Great picture!  Now for the questions, of course. ;D ??? ;D

What was the course of fire?

Was the competition limited to military teams?

Did you have to be from the British Empire to compete?

At the US National High Power Rifle Championships [at Camp Perry, Ohio - a WWII POW camp] there is a match called the Wimbledon Cup Match which is 20 shots, any rifle [I don't think .50 is allowed] any sights at 1,000 yards.  Now the possible is 200 points which is usuall the score needed to win.  When I was shooting at Camp Perry the target was different:  36 inch bullseye worht 5 points and a 20 inch V ring.  My best effort was 100 with 13 V's, which was good, but not enough to get into the final round of the match.  IIRC, the Cup was from the Competitions at Wimbledon but it has been a long time since I was there. [1967 to be exact.]  I was shooting a heavy barreled Springfield 1903 in 308 Norma Magnum with a 10X Unertle telescope.  Good memories.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Dr. Bob:

To be honest, I don't know enough about the Imperial Meeting competitions to tell you a whole lot.  I believe that they started as "military service rifle" competitions open to military teams from around the Empire, but eventually incorporated civilian marksmen as well, including teams from the United States.

However, rather than attempt to expound on a topic with which, regretably, I am not very conversant, I'll direct you to a couple of online resources:

This is the very informative website of a fellow in the UK, David Minsall, who is quite knowledgeable in the area:
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/

And here is the website of the British National Rifle Association (which predates the American NRA by eleven years):
http://www.nra.org.uk/

One of the exhibits in the NRA Museum, now located at Bisley:

The mark left on the iron target plate fired at by Queen Victoria in 1860, to open the first rifle compettion held at Wimbledon by the NRA.  (IIRC from engravings made at the time, she did so in most ladylike fashion by pulling a lanyard affixed to the trigger of a Whitworth rifle clamped in a machine rest.  Apparently, that rifle is displayed next to this target plate.)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:25:54 AM »

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
  Sir:

It is always a pleasure to see your pictures.  ;) ;)

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com