Author Topic: Interesting 1880's photo - Canadian military, winter kit ...  (Read 4311 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Interesting 1880's photo - Canadian military, winter kit ...
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:18:57 PM »
Just yesterday, I took the plunge and made a "long-distance" purchase of a new baby brother for the Snider-Enfield three-band Infantry rifle I already have: a Canadian-marked .577 Snider-Enfield two-band "Short Rifle", like this:

In British (and colonial) land service, this pattern of rifle was almost exclusively issued to "Rifle Regiments" (as opposed to regular line infantry, who got the longer 3-band rifle), though the Short Rifle was also issued to Sergeants in all foot units.

In browsing through my reference material, looking for information/pictures relevant to this new toy, I again came across this image - a studio pose depicting members of the Canadian "School of Mounted Infantry" in winter kit - which has always fascinated me.  So I thought I'd scan it and post it here, for your enjoyment and comments ...

Although I'd have to dig deeper for more information, the School of Mounted Infantry was apparently established in 1885, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, as one of the small units comprising the "Permanent Active Militia", which had recently come into existence (through an 1883 amendment to the Militia Act) as Canada's only "full time/professional" military force - with a mandated maximum strength of 750 men, in total!

In addition to the interesting garb for Canadian winters (they'd definitely be able to keep their heads and hands warm), I note that the kneeling infantryman and standing Sergeant are both equipped with a British Pattern 1882 Mounted Infantry bandolier, though they would be using it for their .577 Snider cartridges, of course, rather than the longer bottlenecked .577-450 Martini-Henry rounds it was designed for.  (As I have mentioned in the past, Canada acquired less than 7500 Martini-Henry rifles, in total, and the great majority of those were never issued.  Rather, our Militia were armed almost exclusively with the Snider-Enfield until adoption of the Magazine Lee-Enfield in 1896-97.  Since I have one of the currently available reproductions of this bandolier pattern, and had already noted that it does accomodate Snider cartridges - albeit without any of the bullet nose being exposed -  I'm very pleased to have photographic evidence of period use of this bit of kit by Canadians.)

I am presuming, from this photograph, that the Mounted Infantry School Corps was armed enitirely with 2-band rifles, though they were not technically a "Rifle" unit.  The Sergeant's rifle, clearly visible, would be appropriate to his rank regardless of unit, of course.  However, although it is not really possible to make out what type of rifle the kneeling infantryman is holding, I note that he is equipped with the sword bayonet which presumably would have been issued only with the short rifle - as opposed to the triangular-blade socket bayonet used with the Infantry rifle.   Indeed, one would think that mounted infantry units, which were only then emerging as a distinct type I believe, would likely have been armed with the short rifle in preference to the 3-band. 
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Interesting 1880's photo - Canadian military, winter kit ...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:30:05 AM »
Well, I believe that I have been able to answer my own question about whether the second man also had a 2-band Short Rifle.

I was able to locate an online image (on the Library and Archives Canada website) which was clearly taken at the same time as the first one I posted.   Both men appear to have Short Rifles ...

Another interesting detail is apparent in this photo - the Other Ranks have "snake" belt buckles, which in British service were normally limited to use by mounted units (cavalry, the North West Mounted Police, etc.)  But, of course, this is Mounted Infantry, so it would seem to be entirely appropriate.  (Mmmm ... I am already beginning to think about yet another Frontier Military impression ....  :-\ )

Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:21:26 AM »
VERY interesting!  Thanks for posting and good luck with your new impression!

Those fellas DO look like they could stay warm!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:25:16 AM »
I have some experience with musical instruments and I would NOT liked to have been that poor youngster who had to put that bugle mouthpiece up to his lips in the kind of cold they're dressed for! :o And worse, when he took the bugle away from his lips! :o :o :o
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
I have some experience with musical instruments and I would NOT liked to have been that poor youngster who had to put that bugle mouthpiece up to his lips in the kind of cold they're dressed for! :o And worse, when he took the bugle away from his lips! :o :o :o

As a born and raised Canuckian, I certainly know exactly what you are talking about, Steel Horse!  ::)

However, with that lifetime of experience to guide me, I'm confident that it would likely have been SOP in winter to keep the mouthpiece warm (perhaps in the hand, inside one of those lovely fur mitts) until it was "time to blow" ...  ;)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  I was remembering back to a couple winter marching band parades, and that's what all us wind players, but ESPECIALLY the horn players, had to do!  Fortunately, we had a good instructor who pointed out the possible dangers of cold mouthpieces and wet lips before  the parade! :o

Great pics.  I really look foreward to meeting you someday.  We've e-muled enough before so you know my wife's history (she being from Scotland) and she doesn't get into this Old West/Cavalry/Military thing.  She did, however, think that you looked pretty sharp!  Her comment was something like:  "Now there's a guy with a great kit on!" or words to that effect.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 06:32:34 PM »
What I would be worried about is when night came how would you make a warm fire out of those painted trees on the background. ;D  Sorry I'm orery as you know. ;D  Nice pictures Jack, as always.  Nice rifle also.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
Give your fine lass my best regards, SHB!

Delmonico:  I figure as long as one kept within the confines of that studio wilderness, a painted fire would do just fine ... ;)  Matter of fact, I'd be more concerned with getting overheated, wearing all that stuff indoors like that!  :-[

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:46:17 PM »
Me two, I've seen many studio photo's with heavy winter clothing. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 12:44:26 AM »
I noticed that , also, RCJ .....  unfortunately, I don't know the answer.   I wonder if there were no military overcoats available in childs sizes, and so they just used a similar coloured civilian model, instead ...   ???

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 02:17:25 PM »
Once again, the mysteries out number the answers.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com