Author Topic: Canada's Massive Military - mid 1880's  (Read 5128 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Canada's Massive Military - mid 1880's
« on: December 05, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »
As mentioned on my website, and in the odd posting I have made here (most recently in the "Red River Campaign" thread) at the time of the North West Rebellion of 1885, Canada had no standing army, and in fact had little or nothing in the way of professional soldiers at all.  For most of the 19th century, military and naval defence of the British North American colonies - and of the Dominion of Canada for its first 15 years or so of existence, after Confederation in 1867 - was entrusted to The Royal Navy and the British Army, with Canadian forces consisting of Militia units, only.

With increased "offloading" onto the Dominion government of responsibility for at least its own military defence (though Naval operations and bases remained exclusively with the Royal Navy until 1910) an amendment to the Militia Act in 1883 finally authorised the establishment of "permanent" or "regular" military forces in Canada, but on a very modest scale and with a view primarily to ensuring a small core of "professionals" to aid with training of the Militia.  I was aware that this permanent force was small, but was reminded today just how tiny it was, when I came across the following excerpt from the 1883 enactment of the Dominion Parliament which authorized its creation.  (Note: while British and Commonwealth pards will likely know this, in a statute "Her Majesty" effectively means the government - National in an Act of Parliament, and Provincial in an enactment of a Provincial Legislature.) 

Here is the excerpt (why can't modern legislators be so succinct?) - 

"It being necessary in consequence of the withdrawal of Imperial regular troops, to provide for the care and protection of forts, magazines, armaments, warlike stores and such like service, also to assure the establishment of Schools for Military Instruction in connection with corps enlisted for continuous service, it shall be lawful for Her Majesty to raise ... one troop of cavalry, three batteries of artillery (of which two shall be `A" and "B" Batteries of artillery now embodied) and not more than three companies of infantry - the whole strength of which several corps shall not exceed seven hundred and fifty men."

Emphasis (underlining) was added by me: that is a total permanent force (infantry, cavalry and artillery) of Regimental strength - or less!  This for the second largest nation in geographical area in the entire world (only Russia being larger, then or now!)
[Edit, Dec. 6/05: In subsequent reading, I learned that, by 1890, the authorized strength of the total permanent force had been raised to 1000. That whopping big increase was probably a direct result of the North West Rebellion emergency in 1885.]

Now, just to dress this post up a mite, here is print from that era depicting an officer, piper and men of the 5th Royal Scots of Canada, circa 1891  -  It was  one of many Militia battalions at that time - which ultimately evolved into the present-day Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch) of Canada:

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Canada's Massive Military - mid 1880's
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:13:14 PM »
Thanks for posting, R.J.!  Very interesting.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:20:41 PM »
Hello RattlesnakeJack.

It´s a pleasure to read your posts. 

Thank you for them.

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:13:13 AM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 11:15:42 AM »
RJR,
Many thanks for your most interesting post, I enjoy them and learn something new each time.
It is always fun to look at old Military artwork and envision what the artist actually saw, if he had Soldiers posing in a studio setting or if he merely drew/sketched on the Parade Grounds or from memory. In some cases it even appears that the artist never saw them or their equipment and that he only drew from what he 'thought' they/it should look like. For an example of this, simply refer to the artwork above and look closely at the Piper, his Pipes have the standard 3 drones going over his left shoulder in the correct manner and his left arm is crooked in the correct manner and his hands are in the correct position to operate the Chanter. However the bag, very small and almost unseen, is one used for what are called 'Small Pipes' or 'Lowland Pipes' and not the 'Highland' so commonly associated with Military usage in Scottish units. No big deal really, the artist probably saw the small bag as making the Soldier look bigger, and after all, who wants to see a small Soldier in a kilt?
It is also interesting that this artist concentrates his talents on the uniform and facial structures and not on the weaponry as seen in the odd-looking rifles. Again, no big deal here but still, it would be fun to know what he used for a model or if it was completely from his memory or via a discusssion with others. Perhaps it went something like this, he and one of his cronies were having a cigar and brandy whilst he sketched in his studio after dinner...
"Charles, Old Chap, isn't that rifle those Canadians carry just some sort of a long-barrelled musket and nothing like what our Highland Regiments shoulder here?"
"Right you are Bunnett, Enfields would never be wasted on that lot, Muskets is all they'll ever need, that and plenty of good steel and Scotch, whot?!"
"Well, said, Old Chap, I think it should look something like this...yes, thats got it, and that Piper, a Highland man? Doubtful, he probably came from Liverpool, a small set of Lowland Pipes for him I think, yes, yes, that s much better."
Ah, well, it sounds plausible.
Best regards and good researching!
'Ol Gabe

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »
Interesting observations, 'Ol Gabe! 

Artistic license ... or downright inaccuracy  ... ?  ;)

While the firearms in the print don't look like it, in 1891 any militia infantry unit in Canada would have been armed with the very obsolete Snider-Enfield 3-band rifle - representing the very best of stopgap mid-1860's firearms technology! However, that state of affairs was not the result of any hesitation of the Imperial authorities to arm such Colonials with the latest in weaponry (we were, after all, one of the "White Dominions" ...)   Rather, it was simply the result of traditional unwillingness of the Dominion Government to spend any money! 

In 1891, the bolt-action Lee-Metford rifle had already been the standard longarm of the British Army for three years, replacing the Martini-Henry - but it was not until 1896 that the Department of Militia & Defence finally took steps to replace Sniders with something more modern.  Even then, the fools had decided to "upgrade" to single-shot .303 Martini-Enfields, and had actually placed the order!  However - with considerable pressure from the Imperial authorities (coupled, I believe, with some financial assistance) - that decision was reversed, and we actually acquired the newly adopted - and "state-of-the-art" - Magazine Lee-Enfield ("Long Lee") instead!
Oh, what the heck ... since I like pictures, here is an image of my own "Long Lee" ....   ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:25:50 AM »
Howdy Maj. RJR,

Ohmygawd!  Now you have gone and given me a case of "Enfield envy!!"  What ever shall I do??? ??? ???

Sounds like the Canadian Parliament had studdied Pres. Thomas Jefferson who reduced the US Army to 1 Regt. of Artillery and 2 Regt's. of Infantry, all consistently under strength.

Thanks for your insite into the early Canadian Military experience.

YMH&OS,

Capt. R. H. Dorian
Brv't. LtC., Chief Topigraphical Engineer
Grand Army of the Fronter
[Who has about 7" of new snow in the fron yard & more on the way.  The Great White Plains  :-X]
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 02:44:48 AM »
Ohmygawd!  Now you have gone and given me a case of "Enfield envy!!"  What ever shall I do??? ??? ???

Well, Old Chap ... just to try to make your case "terminal", here's a few closeups .... :P

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 11:55:53 AM »
RJR.

Have you no pity for a poor, snow bound Capt. on the half pay list?? :D :D  9 degrees F. here this morning [11:53 am] with abuout 8 inches of snow.  I'm sure that you can identify with this kind of climatic conditions.

Great looking rifle!  You have so many great toys!  Thanks again for sharing them.

YMH&OS,

Capt. Dorian
&c. &c. &c.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
Yes, Dr. Bob, he has some really cool toys!  I'll bet he even has the proper bayonet for that Long Lee stashed somewhere!

Merry Christmas, pards!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:05:55 PM »
Have you no pity for a poor, snow bound Capt. on the half pay list?? :D :D  9 degrees F. here this morning [11:53 am] with abuout 8 inches of snow.  I'm sure that you can identify with this kind of climatic conditions.

Nay ... Quite Pitiless!    ;D

But I can definitely relate to the Meteorological conditions you are currently experiencing!

..... I'll bet he even has the proper bayonet for that Long Lee stashed somewhere!

Well .... now that you mention it ....   ;)  Yes, a lovely Pattern 1888 bayonet, its condition as nice as the rifle ...

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 02:27:07 PM »
Thankee kindly, RCJ!

As you know, that is a "family trait" ...

In fact, here is a rather poor family snapshot - that particular rifle with younger siblings:

Top to bottom:
- Rifle, Magazine, Lee-Enfield, with Pattern 1888 bayonet (no the blade isn't rusty - it's so shiny it picked up a reflection ...)
- Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield (SMLE for short, later redesignated Rifle No. 1 MkIII), with Pattern 1907 bayonet
- Rifle No. 4 MkI, with No. 4 bayonet
- Rifle No. 5 MkI, with No. 5 bayonet

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 06:00:01 PM »
Shabash, RJR, Shabash!
I'm drooooooooooooooling all over my keyboard and wondering how to write the service request: "Uhhh, it got wet while I was looking at pictures of some British Military Rifles? Uh, OK then, how about I spilt a dram of..."
Best regards and why not bring them ALL down next fall to the Muster, hmmmmmm?
'Ol Gabe

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »
Alas .... it appears that the dates chosen for Muster in 2006 directly conflict with our local main shoot in the autumn, so I will be unable to attend Muster ....    :'(

As but poor consolation, I can only display a few more portraits ....

Offline Red Hooker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »
Reminds me of an episode of Canada's "'Red' Green" tv show. Red and the guys from the Lodge find a missile in the well of a recently deceased member. Red's nephew Harold thinks they should contact the Canadian Air Force. Red says "It's after 5 o'clock, Harold. He's gone home". ;D
 Red Hooker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com