Author Topic: Possible Canadian Boer War revolver - 1900-production .455 Colt New Service  (Read 10103 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
The latest addition to my collection of Canadian-issue military pistols is a 1900-production (serial no. 4087) Colt New Service revolver, chambered in .455 Eley.  All I have to post in the way of images, so far, is a couple of rather poor "cell-phone-grade" photos.

First, one supplied by the previous owner, showing the incorrect wooden grips (possibly M1917 grips to which someone has added a border line) it had on it -

After I substituted a set of reproduction Colt "hard rubber" grips which I had on my other New Service (see below .... another set of these grips is on its way ....)

After using existing .45 Colt Model 1878 Double Action revolvers in equipping her initial Boer War contingents, Canada acquired 943 (if memory serves) New Service revolvers, some chambered in .45 Colt and others in .455 Eley, in 1900.  It is possible that this is one of those revolvers (proof of that, one way or the other, will have to await an Archive Letter from Colt) but in any event it is the configuration of the revolvers obtained by Canada, and thus "representative" if nothing else.

I have long had a "Second Model" (introduced in 1906, IIRC, mine built in 1918) .455 New Service revolver, but am pleased to finally get a "First Model" for my collection.

Although this one looks quite nice on first view, as you can likely tell from the above photos it has been re-blued, after a rather severe "buffing" which has obliterated all outside frame markings, and also largely removed the "NEW SERVICE   .455 ELEY." barrel marking, although that is still readable.  Going into the deal I was aware of that issue, as well as the mechanical problem mentioned below, and thus got the revolver for a good price.

It also has a mechanical issue which I hope can be repaired with relative ease - the cylinder stop latch is not dropping in the frame to permit the cylinder to rotate when one tries to either cock the hammer single-action or pull the trigger in double-action mode.  I have just acquired the H&L Publishing eBook on the Colt New Service Revolver, and will be disassembling the revolver to try to ascertain what is causing this problem, and what can be done to remedy it.  Can anyone offer any ideas, in the meantime?

Assuming that problem can be remedied, it will be an excellent addition to my stable of "shooters" .... for use in a late -Victorian/Boer War impression .... with little or no "collector value" to worry about.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Congratulations!

Will it be making a trip south of the border this summer?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Very likely .....  ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
According to what I can find, mine was built in 1917 as a .455 Eley.  It was later converted to .45 Colt and has the "55 Eley" x'd out.  It's a handful to shoot double action one handed!  What is the difference between the first and second models?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
RSJ;  Strathcona's Horse (RC) are still waiting to find out where their revolvers came from. They probably were a private purchase outside of Canadian channels.  I confirm that Clive LAW stated in his book that 943 New Service revolvers were purchased from Lewis Bros & Co., Montreal, by Canada for the Boer War.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
Tres cool!

Another reason to attend the Grand Muster. There is going to be such Show 'n' Tell sessions. And shooting opportunities of same, I'm guessing . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Just thought I'd show you my New Service.  It's a fun shooter, but it's a little difficult to control double action with one hand.  It tends to crawl up in my hand pretty badly.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
What is the difference between the first and second models?

Dale, the single most obvious visual difference is the configuration of the trigger-guard, which was machined narrower than the frame on the "Old Model", so there is a quite noticeable "step" where it merges with the frame.  That machining process was eliminated in the "Improved Model", so the trigger-guard is as wide as the frame.  There were some internal differences (a re-design of the hammer-block safety being one of them).  The contour of the top-strap was changed a bit where it forms the collar into which the barrel was screwed, but that isn't as noticeable.  Some writers talk about other differences in external appearance between the Old and Improved models -  e.g. change of contour at the rear of the barrel to eliminate its "straight stove-pipe look" and differences in the ejector rod head.  However, I have seen the straight barrel and different ejector rod heads on Improved Model revolvers, so I'm not so sure about that.  I suppose such differences might be attributable to switching around of barrels and other parts .... the one thing which definitely can't be changed is the actual contour of the frame, so it is those differences which are the most reliable indicator .....

Colt New Service "Improved Model" - note that this one has the "straight stove-pipe" barrel contour .... as does yours and also my 1918-produced revolver -  

Come to think of it, although I have seen writers attributing the changed barrel contour (where it screws into the frame) to the "Improved Model", I'm now wondering if that particular variation wasn't actually introduced specifically for M'1917 version of this model - seems the only versions I can remember seeing it on for sure are M'1917s ....

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks for the information, Grant!  I believe mine was made in 1917, a year before my 1911 Colt.  Both great guns!  (I'll have to take a family photo of all my Colts just because I think they're really cool!)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Sir Charles:

Clive indicated in his book that the revolvers purchased by Canada in 1900 were .45 Colt .... apparently because the records he was able to locate suggested that, and it would make considerable sense since that was the chambering of the Model 1878 revolvers.  However, it has become evident of late that many (if not all) of the revolvers in the later shipments were in fact .455, as at least two have turned up that came to Canada in one of those later shipments. Here is the specific information from the Colt Archive Letter on one of them -

As you may know, Captain Benoit was the head of the Purchasing Department of the Department of Militia a Defence, and Lewis Bros. were the firm through which the New Service revolvers were ordered.  Must get an Archive Letter ordered on this revolver ..... especially as it takes months for it to be produced. 

Clive Law indicates that only the First and Second Canadian Contingents "... were raised, supported and paid for by the Canadian Government.  The other Contingents, although recruited in Canada by the Department of Militia and Defence, were recruited on behalf of the War Office and were considered to be British units.  As such, they were armed by the War Office."  That suggests that either the War Department specified .455 revolvers for those later units, or that M&D decided that .455 made more sense for their own troops, the ammunition being more readily available through the British supply system ....

It is not surprising that the Strathconas would have difficulty following the trail of their  Boer War revolvers .... the "Strathcona's Horse" of the Second Anglo-Boer War were raised and equipped entirely at the personal expense of Donald Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, on behalf of the British War Office (albeit with the acquiescence, if not assistance, of the Dept. of Militia and Defence) .... so who knows exactly what channels were followed!  The original unit was disbanded in March, 1901, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Rifles (created as part of the Permanent Militia in 1901) perpetuate the original regiment, having been re-named "Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians)" in 1909, with the word "Lord" added to the name in 1911 .....

For what it may be worth, my MkIII Ross rifle was issued to Lord Strathcona's Horse -

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
And here is my .455 Improved Model New Service ....

A Colt Family Portrait would be a good idea for me, too.  Mine (without various "clones") would include my London Model Navy, Model 1878 Double Action, these two New Service revolvers and my 1914-production Government Model.  The "youngest" of the clan would be this 1918 New Service, being a mere 96 years old this year!

(Rather outnumbered by my Webley clan, but good solid American stock nonetheless!)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
For shooting I use a Pachmayr 'Grip Adapter' to fill in the gap behind the trigger guard on my commercial 1914 NS. A Tyler 'T- Guard' works well, if you can find one.
Why Colt designed a DA action revolver with such an odd grip and heavy pull baffles me. But they also designed the Bisley grip, a love it or hate it proposition. I'm in the latter group.

Just thought I'd show you my New Service.  It's a fun shooter, but it's a little difficult to control double action with one hand.  It tends to crawl up in my hand pretty badly.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com