Author Topic: Need help with clothing decision  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help with clothing decision
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »
Greetings all.  I have been asking a few questions on garb over the past period of time.  I have been purchasing and trading for my get up for persona 1867-1870 era cavalry.  Am still in a quandry...which would I be happier with (I know, an unanswerable question for sure) a Shell Jacket or 4-button sack coat?  When were the shell jackets, I think 1858 issue, taken out of service?  The cost between the two is not too significant, but for the life of me cannot decide which.  I have studied perod photographs where I can find them and see both styles in use....i.e. 2nd Cavalry...same time period, different pictures and locations, but both styles represented...I think it was late 60s photo...can't remember for sure, and can't remember which web site I used.

Any and all help appreciated.  Onwards, always onwards...then stop and ask them that know...
Thanks,
Two Dot Wrangler
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Need help with clothing decision
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:47:38 AM »
In the time period you indicate, field issue for mounted service was the Shell Jacket, this remained offical issue until 1872.  The 4 button sack was considered fatigue wear, and primarily found among dismounted troops, though was often enough seen among mounted troops as well.  IE you could use either.  But by regulation you should be wearing the Shell Jacket.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
Sir:
I take alphabetic telegraph keyboard in hand to reply to yours of the 8th ultimo.

During the Indian Wars campaigns, just about anything went so far as field clothing was concerned.  So your choice comes down to: do you wish to portray a trooper in-garrison, or in the field?  If the latter, a lot of clothing left over from the War was ultilized by both officers and enlisted troops, so as to save wear and tear on the most current regulation clothing when in-garrison.

There are some excellent photos of troops and officers in a photo book called, "With Crook in the Black Hills".

Wishing you and yours a Happy, Healthy Holiday Season, I remain,
Your obdt servant,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:20:47 AM »

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
Hey Sgt Drydock and Trailrider...thanks for the good info.  It looks as though, for campaign, I am gonna be a mismatched and kinda military dressed trooper...lots of mismatch, and very little kinda...If I ever get it together, will post a pict of a really, really, old, kinda crippled up, overweight and gray haired trooper who is still feelin' young at heart....
Thanks again,
Two Dot Wrangler 141
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com