Author Topic: Regrets  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Regrets
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »
Greetings All,
There was a time, just a year or two (mostly two) before USFA's ultimate demise, that you could order a variety of options on their SAA's and be fairly confident that your order would be fulfilled in a timely manner.  They would work with you.  Grip styles, hammer styles, barrel lengths, to say nothing of finishes.  It was sort of a "mix and match" smorgasbord!  You could custom order just about any SAA configuration that USFA had to offer.  Looking back, had I known what would become of all of this, I would have custom ordered a few more than I did.  First on my list of regrets would be;

1:  Blue/CCH, standard SAA with a 10" barrel.
2:  Nickel plated 4" "Sheriff's Model" with the Bisley style hammer (I did get the 4" nickel Sheriff's model w/o the Bisley hammer).
3:  4" ejectorless Omni-Potent.

So... there are three of my regrets!  Why do I still torture myself over things that will never be?  Surely there are others among us  who occasionally kick themselves in the ass for not ordering their perfect SAA from USFA. 
If only, to quote the Lone Ranger, we could "Return to those days of yesteryear,"  What would you have ordered?
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Regrets
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »
> So... there are three of my regrets!  Why do I still torture myself over things that will never be?  ...
>If only, to quote the Lone Ranger, we could "Return to those days of yesteryear,"  What would you have ordered?

IBM in 1980 at $12-$15 a share ..

Oh, oops a USFA!

yup My vote would be two OmniPotents, a snubby and a 4 3/4 WITH ejector

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
I would order the four black powder framed models I have now...and pay so much less for them (LOL).

Also, I always preferred a 3-1/2" barrel on the ejectorless models, rather than the 3" I have. So, one of those four would have been a 3.5" in 45 Colt, nickle plated of course. (smile)

Dave

PS: I think I would have ordered/purchased a Lightning Magazine Rifle in 44 WCF as well.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:58 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

Well  actually   None.  I always had a real problem with High End SAs.  After laying out all that folding money, one still needed ME.  Or someone line me to make 'em user friendly enough to play the CAS game.  I resisted the temptation for years.  Then, my resolve failed. 

Special order'd a consecutive pair of Omnipotent in .38 Special, 4 3/4 inch barrels.  Couldn't find a way to draw and fire 'em Gunfighter.  Sold them on.  OOPS.  Should have just shelved em.

Next I ordered a consecutive pair of 3 1/2 in barrel Double Eagles.  After I got em, I added .45 ACP Cylinders to the guns.  Then I switched to Cap Guns and Sold em on.  OOPS.  Should have just shelved em too.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:00:49 PM »
As many as I could afford. First up would be an all USA Bisley (prefer a 4 3/4" but would settle for any barrel length now), a 3 1/2" Double Eagle, and an armory blued/CCH SAA prewar with 7 1/2" barrel and one-piece wood grips. These are just starters.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:45:23 PM »
As a "sort of" regret, my last order from USFA, shortly before they closed their doors, was a nickel plated Double Eagle with standard grips.  When it arrived it wasn't bright nickel, it was their less expensive Rodeo II matte nickel finish (I was charged for the bright nickel finish - my dealer got me a rebate from USFA that didn't, dollar wise, quite make up the difference between the two).  Ah well...
And now it seems that very few Double Eagles ever left the factory with the matte, Rodeo II, nickel finish.  It's a pretty little gun and a keeper.  Still, I wish it had the bright nickel finish.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 04:54:39 PM »
I would want a Bisley Flattop Target .32-20, 7 1/2" barrel, full Armory Blue, CCH hammer, fire blue appointments and two-piece walnut Fluer-de-Lis grips.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
To be honest it is hard for me not to covet at least one of each model. Frankly, I just have a cowboy gun faddish and have had since I was a kid. I don't know if I have ever seen one I didn't like. My interest in the USFA's just started too late. I grabbed up as many as I could find and afford before the prices shot up and the doors closed. I didn't care what model it was at the time. I am darn lucky and thankful for the ones I did get my grubby hands on.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
Agree with Buckaroo I would have ordered a 44-40 4.75" with case colored hammer my 2 7.5 came with shinny hammers didn't know any better

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 03:19:17 PM »
I wish I had not sold my Custer Battlefield and my dual cylinder 3 1/2".  I had a nickel 44-40 that I am sure was an Italian parts gun, that also went down the road.  One of my best friends wanted the Custer, the other 2 were traded for a '73 Winchester.  I still have 3 and they are the only ones I really wanted.  I would rather spend my money on 1st Gen Colts.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »
Sold off my original purchases in a fit of stupidity.   But I was lucky and got these and a few more cheap after the factory closed down  ;D   So I'm good, but thanks for asking  ;)

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 06:41:22 PM »

:P  Aw Shucks   :P

My Regerts have nothing to do with what I didn't order/get/buy/wish for.  I'm just kicking myself for not keeping my special order pair of consecutive Omnipotent.  4 3/4 barrel, 38 Special, Optional Grips.  sold 'em on.  Dumb.

Also my special order pair of consecutive Double Eagles.  45s, to which I also added 45 ACP Cylinders.  The ACP cylinders were absolutely perfect with Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Sold this on too.  Some dumb.

OH WELL

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
Coffin maker,  you realize of course that you are just repeating yourself.   "Well  actually   None."   Age?  The second thing to go?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  What was this thread about??  ::)

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »
 ;D

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
I have a chance to buy a USFA 7 1/2" Nettleton, new in the box.  Serial number is 47386.  It have the standard Colt type base pin.  I just looked at another Nettleton that has the extended two notch cylinder pin.  Is one Italian and the other US made?  Which is which?

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »
Serial numbers:
123093 is a early Uberti Neddleton with a USFA roll marked barrel built "under the blue dome".

HN 47169 Uberti gun
HN 47191 Uberti
HN 47238  Uberti

HN 47239  (this is a 5.5" Neddleton the owner says is all USA made, compare to Uberti 47238 below)
HN 47241 USA gun
HN 47280  USA gun
HN 47346  USA
HN 47350
HN 47472  USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com