Author Topic: A "terrifying" (good) experience with Ruger  (Read 3609 times)

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A "terrifying" (good) experience with Ruger
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
I have been collecting and shooting Rugers since I was 16 and owned my first at 18. That was in the mid 50s. I still have a boat load of them and my most recent find was a single six with dual cylinders, .22 and .22 mag. The gun is a new model about six years old or so. Shooting it was fun but the internals did not "feel right" I had heard all the negative stuff and read some horror stories about Rugers customer service, something I had never experienced. Well I called and sent it back anyway with a short note about my concerns. Well 6 or 7 weeks went by and I decided to call them just to check up on the progress of the gun. When I got home from the post office, and before I called, I believe it was Fed Ex showed up with a package. I had given Ruger a "card" number and was expecting at least a nominal fee for the work performed on the gun if any. To my surprise the entire internals were replaced, all new screws and even the grip frame was replaced. The old one had some scratches on it from use. There was a note in the box which said there was no charge and a "Good luck partner". I had forgot I had mentioned I was using it to practice some Cowboy action shooting. Well every once in a while you "win one". Thanks Ruger.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A "terrifying" (good) experience with Ruger
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:04 AM »
I've never heard any "horror stories" about their customer service.  I have heard that they will replace any after market parts with factory parts on guns sent in for repair so I'd say save them factory parts and put them back into the gun before sending it in.  I own 5 Ruger revolvers and have never had to send one back.  They take a licking and keep on ticking.
 8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »
You betcha!!! GREAT SERVICE FROM RUGER!

I have sent in several for refinish or replacement of parts and was always happy with their service.   ;D
It has been above and beyond what was needed.  ;D  They have even replaced parts that were not even requested---AT NO CHARGE!

The only customer that was ever unhappy with Ruger Customer Service was a feller who had a blue Security Six that was in a house fire.  A HOT ONE TOO!!!

He brought me the revolver and wanted me to send it to Ruger for new springs (they were "toast") and reblue and new grips.
I tried to tell him it was not worth the trouble, since it had gotten way too hot and was unsafe.  ???

Well, I sent it in for him anyway, after a lot of whining.  I soon got a letter back with a coupon for a new GP-100 where he would only have to pay something like $40.00 (for the difference in the price of the two models).  They stated that would keep the Security Six and destroy it, since it was unserviceable and they were no longer building them.  He was really unhappy with that and wanted the original Security Six back fixed  :o.  
He got mad at me too, since I could not get it back, either.  :P

No way could he understand that it was not safe to shoot the burnt-up old revolver.

I reckoned Ruger was doing him a BIG FAVOR by their offer.

Love them Rugers and their service,
Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:54:47 AM »

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
I've had excellent service with Ruger. They almost always change the grips. I had a real nice set of walnut grips that I thought were great. Ruger changed them out without asking me for a new pair that had a rather blah look to them. Sure wish I had the old ones back. I guess if I had to do it over again I would pull the grips before sending in. If you have a scratched up ratty pair, then it is a good deal. That's the only negative I've had with them. Other than that their service has been excellent.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

I reckoned Ruger was doing him a BIG FAVOR by their offer.

Yeah, when the manufacturer says it's not servicealble or a good idea, they most likely aren't just saying that because they were looking to cheat him out of a gun.  The crew at Ruger should have placed the pistol in a rest, then fired it with cameras rolling and send him the video when it comes apart.  Complete with round count.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com