Author Topic: Brand new Ruger Old Army, locked up, straight out of the box.  (Read 2583 times)

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brand new Ruger Old Army, locked up, straight out of the box.
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
I bought a pair of these clean up guns. The club armourer bought them around to me at the range and we pulled one out and loaded her up and shot a few cylinders full. While my friend was relaoding the gun in use, another friend asked about them and I pulled the unused one out of the box to show him. I started to cock the hammer so that I could rotate the cylinder and show him it was clear (and to see myself, as I had never laid eyes on it at this stage. The hammer moved back almost to where you could rotate the cylinder and it all locked up tight. No way could we get it loose or remove the cylinder. It was at that time that I noticed the burring on the screws. The lazy bum that assembled them had obviously used teh same sized screwdriver on all of the screws as the big one was marked where the narrower screwdriver bit into the slot. There was also about three scratches near where the screw slot was on the frame. I am not impressed I can tell you.

I ended up removing the grip frame which freed up the cylinder allowing me to remove it. I reset the spring, re-assembled it and it did the same thing again.

Next step is to pull them both apart at the same time comparing them as I go to see if anything is amiss.

I don't want to send it back as it is interstate, I would have to pay a dealer to ship it for me and while you guys in the states get great warranty work, it is easier to do your own here.

I can't see how it would be possible to assemble the gun with a part upside down or back the front or broken.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I'm  abit strapped for time at the moment and haven't had time to get back to it.

I have always done my own warranty work or paid for any repairs that needed doing, less hassle and cheaper than freight and dealer's handling fees. Most charge $100 to ship a gun interstate.

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline sawgrass

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Brand new Ruger Old Army, locked up, straight out of the box.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »
I had a simiilar problem with a used ROA and the problem turned out to be a damaged pawl plunger spring.  It had evidently been pinched from a re-assembly before I got it.

You may also check the pawl itself where it makes contact with the cylinder.  I would compare the pawl on the operating ROA to the non-op.  Maybe swap them out and give it a try.

Good luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com