Author Topic: Anyone Else Notice?  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone Else Notice?
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »
After a check of both the 2010 catalog and the website, it appears that Ruger is no longer offering the New Vaquero in the 7 1/2in barrel length. Glad I got mine.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone Else Notice?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »
After a check of both the 2010 catalog and the website, it appears that Ruger is no longer offering the New Vaquero in the 7 1/2in barrel length. Glad I got mine.

+1, if true.  Ol' William B. must be spinning like a pistol with what they're doin' to the product line!  :(
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »

Howdy Gents

This might be a temporary situation, Great Western ll from EMF, is only offering the premium Great Western ll's in 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" barrels, I think we will be seeing a lot of company's down sizing to what sells the most, we're seeing this in in all areas of retail right now, and now Ruger has done the same.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:18 AM »

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
Apart from older guns you hardly ever see long barrelled rugers here. Some years back, the longer barrels were popular here as they were mostly used for silouette (we can only use handguns for target competition). Since cowboy really took of 5.5" seems to be the most popular, although lately, the shorter barrels are becoming really popular.

The only size I could find in the shops when I started buying big bore SAs was 5.5" I wanted the ahorter Bbl and when the guy came out with it, he obviously hadn't heard me, because he was apoligising that he didn't have any 7.5" guns in stock. I since have had 4 sets of 5.5s and 2 sets of 4 5/8" guns. I think th e5.5s handle a touch better but the shortys got the cool factor. I picked up an old 44Mag SBH with a 10 1/2" Bbl (they were real popular here for awhile). I will try it out, but I think it will fall victim to the drop saw and end up as a 7.5" gun.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
I picked up an old 44Mag SBH with a 10 1/2" Bbl (they were real popular here for awhile). I will try it out, but I think it will fall victim to the drop saw and end up as a 7.5" gun.

My Pard Fourfingersofdeath,

I started out in SASS shoot'n a pair of those 1012 (Thanks MG fer lern'n me these numbers!) bbl SBH in 44mag with an ol' 44mag Rossi '92......the sight pattern was very similar!   :D :D :D :D

Had to ware them holsters REALLY low so that I could clear leather and still felt like I had to be Dbl-jointed in the shoulder and elbow!   ;D  Only clean match I've had was with this set-up!

Enjoy!

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:45:12 AM »
Dang! You shoulda had a handicap, you were closer to the target that the other guys!  ;D
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Yep!!!  I was accused of this type of "unfair advantage" rather often; however, I promptly pointed out that all the EXTRA time it took to pull that Iron; additionally, find'n the front sight was like line'n up the tip of a long tailed puppy dog happy to see ya! :D :D :D

After hear'n this a few too many times let 'em know to go find their Ma Ma too....... ;D ;D ;D

Reality was slow'n down and "Front Sight Stupid" gets ya clean shoots!  Didn't say where I placed...just was my only clean shoot...placed somewhere 'round hind-teat that day.... :D :D :D

Please NO OFFENCE!...Non here 'cause the weather and air "UP" here is just fine too!   :) ;)

Yeti

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline Dog River Dan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
Ruger keeps on changing things that are not to my liking.
I love the 7.5" barrels.
I guess I'm lucky to have a couple.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
I bought my 7 1/2 after seeing re-runs of the old Cimarron Strip TV western with Stuart Whitman. His was nickel. Matt Dillon preferred the longer barrel length and I believe that's what Clint Eastwood used in High Plains Drifter despite using the 5 1/2 Ubertis in earlier films. What other good guy can you remember who used the longer barrel?

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
Howdy!
Yep, Ruger has deleted the long barrel New Vaqueros in 45.  I was not surprized.  In fact, I was surprized they even issued that length.  (CAS is really geared toward competition these days in my opinion, and the 7 1/2 inchers just don't draw and reholster as quickly, from what I've heard.)

As for me; I prefer those long barrels, then again I tend to be more historically minded in my approach to CAS, and I shoot them more accurrately, to boot!  I do have some short ones, but they don't get out of the safe very often, unless I'm dressing like a character from history or film/TV that would have carried such a length.

As for films where long barrel SAAs are used, check out  Eastwood in "Joe Kidd", McQueen in "Mag 7", Costner in "Open Range", Boone in "Have Gun, Will Travel".

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
Had to ware them holsters REALLY low so that I could clear leather and still felt like I had to be Dbl-jointed in the shoulder and elbow!

Yeti,

There's another solution to that.  I routinely shoot a brace of Uberti New Model Army pistols (aka 1858's) and they have 8-inch barrels.  I have some shoulder problems, and was having pain and the same troubles as you until I figured out something.  Take a look at this picture and tell me what's different.  (That's me bellying up to a bar on a Western 3-Gun stage.)

BTW, I typically shoot Double Duelist.  Once I reversed my holsters and started using the Reverse Draw (aka the "Cavalry Twist"), all the pain and nearly all the problems went away. It felt odd at first, but by spending a little time practicing in front of a mirror, I got it all smoothed out.  Now my draws are smooth, painless, and at least as fast as I was able to do with shorter pistols in "regular" holsters.

You can try the move, by the way, without reversing or even wearing your holsters.  If you want to, I'll send you a description and a very brief video clip.

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »
You can try the move, by the way, without reversing or even wearing your holsters.  If you want to, I'll send you a description and a very brief video clip.

Daniel Nighteyes Sir,

You're very kind in this offer but those 10.5" (1012) bbls are long gone to another younger Cowboy Shooter.  I've a pair of OMV's in the 5.5" (512) bbl.

I might try yer method shoot'n my ol' Pards Remington 1858 "cap gunz" made by Pietta when I go Holy Black'n.....never played the black game yet although my ol' Pard tried to get me on it when he was still with us....  I figure if I'm "cap gun'n" it'll be for the total fun and speed or pain will not be a factor.  Butt front will look cool and add to the fun!  Thank you all the same. ;)

Yeti

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »
Howdy!
Yep, Ruger has deleted the long barrel New Vaqueros in 45.  I was not surprized.  In fact, I was surprized they even issued that length.  (CAS is really geared toward competition these days in my opinion, and the 7 1/2 inchers just don't draw and reholster as quickly, from what I've heard.)

As for me; I prefer those long barrels, then again I tend to be more historically minded in my approach to CAS, and I shoot them more accurrately, to boot!  I do have some short ones, but they don't get out of the safe very often, unless I'm dressing like a character from history or film/TV that would have carried such a length.

As for films where long barrel SAAs are used, check out  Eastwood in "Joe Kidd", McQueen in "Mag 7", Costner in "Open Range", Boone in "Have Gun, Will Travel".

Speaking of Costner, I saw Open Range again the other night on TV. In a film which is otherwise pretty authentic, I was surprised that near the beginning of the big climactic gun fight, Costner manages to fan off what, by my count, were 10 shots in rapid succession. Quite a gun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com