Author Topic: When is a Blackpowder Pistol considered "Loaded"?  (Read 3892 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When is a Blackpowder Pistol considered "Loaded"?
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:37:45 PM »
A stupid question actually .... since I handled my first gun lo those many years ago, the answer was ALWAYS treat  any gun as if it was loaded.

The reason I ask then is concerning WHEN is a blackpowder gun considered loaded by SASS ...

I seem to remember somewhere reading that, due to the time it takes to reload with black powder, that one was allowed to place powder and ball in the cylinder and the gun was not considered 'loaded' until the caps were placed on the nipples.

That as long as the caps were uninstalled, one could carry the weapons away from the reloading table without getting a proceedural called.

Is this true?  Any experienced blackpowder shooters want to comment?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: When is a Blackpowder Pistol considered "Loaded"?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »
Sorry Wadd I didn't see this thread.  Check out your other thread where ya first asked the question.

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »
I seem to remember somewhere reading that, due to the time it takes to reload with black powder, that one was allowed to place powder and ball in the cylinder and the gun was not considered 'loaded' until the caps were placed on the nipples.

That as long as the caps were uninstalled, one could carry the weapons away from the reloading table without getting a proceedural called.

'Tis true.  If you think about it, a cylinder filled with black powder and topped with a lead ball, but with no means to ignite the powder, is pretty harmless.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:26:35 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
Daniel, Yeti,

Thanks for reaffirming what I thought ... I just didnt want to scare or alienate of of the local Range Officers by doing something incredibly stupid because I 'thought ' some thing was okay to do ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Daniel, Yeti,

Thanks for reaffirming what I thought ... I just didnt want to scare or alienate of of the local Range Officers by doing something incredibly stupid because I 'thought ' some thing was okay to do ....

You've never done that?  Man are you missing an great experience.  HA!!!   :o   ::)   ;)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
You've never done that?  Man are you missing an great experience.  HA!!!   :o   ::)   ;)

OOHHhhh Forty Rod......I'mma think-n yer an instigating stinker!!!   ::) ::) ::) ;D :D :D :D

GOOD ON YA

Yeti
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »
Actually Forty Rod & Yeti,

I entered into this kind of backwadly ... I mean backwardly.

I had been approached to possibly be a part of a blackpowder reenactment group and let it be known that I would be interested in some 5.5" bbl SS Fixed Site ...

Well for various reasons, the reenactment thing just did not work out ... but a fellow member of my shooting club heard of my search, and had this friend with two of exactly  the weapons that I had been looking for.

The Rugers have Uncle Mike Nipples, have been reworked and are hella smooth, and have faux bone grips.....

The price he quoted would have been a bit much for one gun, but for TWO? I pulled yet some more from my 401K and bought them (Well, my 401K was going to hell in a handbasket quick anyway, and my rationalization was that when I went to sell them, the selling price would probably be more that what would have been left in the 401 K ... hey, it's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it!) *S*

So I have had these two weapons and never shot them for a couple of months ... and as luck would have it, they fit as good in the Will Ghormley holsters as the Schofields the holsters were designed for ... just had to get a black powder belt (i.e. no cartreidge loops) ... already have this HUGE Bowie that is much more appropriate for a black powder era knife than for the Schofields .....

So who knows; maybe this is the start of a new  ... maybe there is a Colt Revolving Rifle and a black powder Coach gun out there somewhere with my name on it   ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com