Poll

Should we limit the number of times any one individual can win the Brigade Champion?  

Yes, Limit it to once
7 (35%)
Yes, Limit it to twice
5 (25%)
Yes, Limit it to three times
2 (10%)
No, don't limit it
4 (20%)
Don't care. I'll never compete for it.
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: November 18, 2012, 05:23:11 AM

Author Topic: Brigade Champion - should we limit it?  (Read 13843 times)

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Brigade Champion - should we limit it?
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
Having never attended a muster, I dont suppose I have a dog in the fight but I think we are pole vaulting over mouse pills.  I suppose the intent of not allowing a winning uniform to compete a 2nd time is to have members expand their wardrobes.  I think knowing that Rattle Snake Jack or whoever is coming back with his fantastically researched correct uniform would cause other members to try to improve what they have to be competitive.  It is sort of like telling Jimmy Johnson, ok you won the Texas race with that car, you cant use it again.

FWIW

Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
I don't know who Jimmy Johnson is & I'm not the military type so I shoot dressed as a civilian - but have to agree with Bow View & Joe, limiting the number of times you can win something lessons the competition.  Once all the great uniforms have won their fare share then the mediocre uniforms will get their turn.  It would be kind of like excluding the fastest runner in each race from all future races - eventually someone as slow as me could win.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »
Once all the great uniforms have won their fare share then the mediocre uniforms will get their turn. 
While I support limiting the number of times as uniform can win, I have to admit that I am concerned about this too.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:27:32 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
We could be guilty of overthinking this: is this a real problem, or one of perception?  Probably the latter.  I'm always in favor of as few rules as possible, and I know for a fact that good shooting is the most important factor in a BC.

Seems to me, if you set a limit on the BC (2 or 3 times) that takes care of the percieved problem right there.  No need to limit uniforms.  If i'm no longer eligible for a BC, then none of my uniforms are.  Best I can do is win my shooting class, which is all I want to do anyway.   If I sell my uniforms later, then someone else has a chance to win with them.  THey've still got to shoot, and shoot well.

Maybe (Thinking out loud here, just thinkin'.  JUST thinkin' dangit!)  Instead of Judging uniforms, we establish a standard that must be met in order to be eligible for a BC.  Meet the Standard, and you're eligible.  Call it a uniform inspection.  You declare you wish to be considered for the BC.  At this point you will be inspected in accordance with the field regulations of your chosen service.  Pass inspection, and your entered into the list as BC eligible.  At this point, the BC then is selected from the those eligible folks who accumulate the most points in their skirmish class, and in their long range element, just as now.  And just as now, if there are no BC eligible persons who finish top 3 in both elements, then there is no BC.

We still have a seperate judging for Dress Uniforms, or perhaps reserve Dress uniforms for the Dining in we're contemplating?

Got my foxhole dug,  have at it!   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
... If i'm no longer eligible for a BC, then none of my uniforms are.  Best I can do is win my shooting class, which is all I want to do anyway.  

Not quite.  Uniforms competition is the same as shooting competition.  Even if you've earned BC and are no longer eligible, you can still compete in both shooting and uniform.  You can still win in both shooting and uniform, you just couldn't earn a BC again.  No one is saying that a "retired" BC can't compete or win, just that they couldn't earn the BC again.

....And just as now, if there are no BC eligible persons who finish top 3 in both elements, then there is no BC.

Very true, and the very reason why we want to keep the BC difficult to earn.  Its more than just being a good shot.  I have absolutely no issue with the BC not being awarded at a Muster because no one was able to place in the two shooting competitions and the uniform competition.  

And remember, if a "retired" BC wins or even places in their shooting categories and for uniform, that means it is even more difficult for someone else to place.  Theoretically, if 3 "retired" BC take top honors in the long-range competition, then there is no way anyone else can earn the BC.  

As for "retiring" a uniform, it is not the BC uniform, but the uniform that placed FIRST.  That means there will be FOUR uniforms that will be ineligible for future competition: 1st place Officer and Enlisted Dress, and 1st place Officer and Enlisted Undress (field).  They can still be worn, just not be used in competition.  A 2nd or 3rd place uniform that earns a BC can still be used in the uniform competition again.  

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
....Once all the great uniforms have won their fare share then the mediocre uniforms will get their turn.  ...

Actually, based on the quality of the uniforms we've seen in competition, I don't believe this is an issue at all.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to identify the very, very best of the best because of the high quality we're seeing.   

And, as I've pointed out, it would only be the 1st place uniforms that would be ineligible.  2nd and 3rd place uniforms, even if used to earn a BC, would still be used in competition.

Theoretically, average shooters could take the uniform competitions, leaving the best shots without any chance to earn a BC. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com