Author Topic: Who makes the most authentic 1873 SAA repro?  (Read 13302 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who makes the most authentic 1873 SAA repro?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
Why do people always settle for "just good enough".  Buy something for which you do not have to make excuses.  Either buy the Colt Peacemaker Centennial or the USFA "Henry Nettleton" .html [/url]

I thought it was Nettleton after I typed it.  Oh well.  It looks real pretty in my case and it shoots real well.  I shot it at a GAF Shoot in Nebraska one year and the pin came loose and was lost so the cam would not stay in.  A new pin and locktight squared that away and I look forward to shooting it again at the GAF events.  It is a beautiful pistol.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
I think one of the importer was marketing an "Ainsworth" sp?  modle after another inspecter.  Anyone know about it?
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
People settle for good enough because price CAN be an object.  It's the same with uniforms.  If you're going to insist on being museum-quality correct, you can easily spend several thousand dollars on a uniform.  It may take several years to get it so you won't want to come out and shoot until it's perfect.  OR, you can put together a fairly decent uniform for a lot less money and come out and play right away.  Then you can upgrade as you see fit.  Fortunately, GAF has room for people at both ends of the scale.  In some areas, I like to get the best right away.  (Gunleather is in that category for me.)  On other things I'll get by with what I'm able to get for what I'm willing to pay.

Amen!
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:38:21 AM »

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »
I think one of the importer was marketing an "Ainsworth" sp?  modle after another inspecter.  Anyone know about it?

USFA made the goverment series which included the (Orville) Ainsworth inspector cartouche.  I have one cased with an original ammo packet, with case made by Bills Cases.  Everytime I show it to someone they gasp at the beauty.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
I remember hearing that the were really nice.  It sticks in myh mind 'cause I grew up not far from the town of Ainsworth in north east Nebraska.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Calico Kirby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:21 AM »
Either buy the Colt Peacemaker Centennial or the USFA "Henry Nettleton" (I have both).  Both have minor authentiicity problems

I own both too, and I’m curious what authenticity problems you find with the USFA.  Are you referring to anything visible or are you talking about non-visible things like not having a type 1 or 2 ejector rod, no milling on the top strap by the barrel for fouling, etc.?
Always drink upstream from the herd...

Offline The Wizard

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
Calico Kirby,

The visible problems are the barrel markings and the lack of the small holes in the cylinder pin.  The one that is only visible when the hammer is cocked is a cutout in the frame left over from some "safety" device.  

Write Colt and maybe we can get the real thing! http://davelanara.homestead.com/CusterColt.html

Offline Calico Kirby

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

Write Colt and maybe we can get the real thing! http://davelanara.homestead.com/CusterColt.html

Wizard,
I actually have already signed Dave's registry.  I would be first in line if Colt would make this happen.  I'd probably sell off a few other pistols and buy several of these if Colt would do it RIGHT.  But I'm sure if Dave has anything to do with it, it will be done correctly.  He's done some work in the past for me and is a true craftsman.  He has more knowledge and attention to detail than any other when it comes to the Colt SAA.

Thanks for your post.  I appreciate your feedback.
Always drink upstream from the herd...

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
I signed his guest book today.  I want one of these.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:53 AM »
I signed his guest book today.  I want one of these.
T-Joe

I signed it last night. I want one too. In fact, I want two!
H-Starr
A work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com