Author Topic: Winchester 1873 bullet does not always enter the barrel  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Midnight Minter

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 107602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1873 bullet does not always enter the barrel
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:45 PM »
As I tried to gunsmith my Uberti Henry 1860 myself and now it is with a real gumsmith for the month to come. I didn't want to miss the CAS competition in the Netherlands, and as we are only allowed to have 5 modern weapens in the Netherlands, I had to buy an original 1873 Caliber 38-40.
In the competitions I was for sure not the fastest shooter but I lost painfull seconds as a few times the bullet head did not enter the barrel. The head bounced against the bottom of it (see pictures).
I borrowed another carrier from a friend of mine but that gave the same result.
Bullet is a RCBS #82306 180 grn CM .401
Has anyone a diagnose and a solution?

Kind regards,
Midnight Minter

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Winchester 1873 bullet does not always enter the barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »
It is a little hard to tell from the pictures whether or not the carrier is rising all the say.  Once the lever is open and the carrier is up, can you push the carrier up any more from underneath with your fingers?  If so, then it is likely to either have a weak or loose carrier spring, or a bent lifter.

Good luck.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
  Yep !!! ditto.

smoke'm if a' got'm Hootmix .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:38:35 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »

PLUS ONE to Abilene and Slamfire.

The carrier is not rising far enough to align with the chamber properly.  Since it did this with both carriers, I am of the opinion the Carrier Arm is either badly warn or bent or both??  The low part of the Carrier Block, at the back, should come up even with the top of mortice.

Offline Midnight Minter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Howdi Abilene and Slamfire, thanks for the quick repons - and while typing Coffinmaker,

When the carrier is up I can push it more upwards with my finger but it is 'pivotting'.  The front side (barrel site) of the carrier goes more up than the backside.
See pictures.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »

It would appear your also suffering from Warnoutpartz syndrome   ???   Were it my rifle, I'd try to source a nice Original Carrier Block and a Carrier Block Arm.  Unfortunately, I am unable to see the inside of the mortice.  I would also take a straight edge and a machinists square and check the front and back walls of the mortice for cupping.  That would be unusual as the frame is of a much harder material than the Carrier Block.  The carrier should NOT tip.  Should travel straight up and down in the mortice.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
It would appear your also suffering from Warnoutpartz syndrome

Coffinmaker: I'm only reading this thread with interest and don't have much to offer, but I'll point out that Midnight Minter is apparently in the Netherlands and may not understand your unique form of slang.  Your reference to "Warnoutpartz", which I take to mean "worn out parts" may not make it through the translation process.  I may be overstepping my bounds, but I'm just trying to clarify things.  Other than that, I have nothing to add.  Nada.  Zilch.  Zip. ;)

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »

CCG and Minter ......

OOPS!!  I missed that.  My apologies.  But yes, I think your Carrier Block is worn and I think you Carrier Block Arm is also worn.  possibly some other wear in the bearing surface at the front and the back of the Mortice.  I suggest checking that with a straight edge Machine Square.

You may also consider putting a slight bevel at the very bottom of the chamber entrance.  Care must be taken not to effect the Head Space.

Offline Midnight Minter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
Thank you all for the good advise.
I will take the 1873 apart this weekend and will do the necessary measurements to see which part is worn.
I assume I need another carrier and lever to start with but first the measurements. (I was to busy with my work and reloading so far)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com