Author Topic: Stovebolts, Flatheads and Mutts, old iron that moves you.  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: 1945 Chevy 1.5 ton (And other Stovebolts, Flatheads and Mutts, etc.)
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
I've seen what happens to "parts" when you gets done with them, Ned . . .   ::)

I remember my days in engineering, I often got detailed to the Fleet warehouse, as I was the best damn thie . . . ah, Procurement Petty Officer in the department . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Stovebolts, Flatheads and Mutts, old iron that moves you.
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
Doing some picture looking tonight, found these that will go well here, taken by The Office of War Information May 1942 New River North Carolina:

I thought they fit here well.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »
Great pictures, Del!  I'd like to think that at least some of the equipment in those pictures begain life with the Army before it found it's true home.  Drydock, just remember;  There's only ever been one thief in the Marine Corps.  Everyone else was just trying to get his sh@@ back!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:02:53 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
Y'know,  I remember something like that, that there really was only ever one real thief in the Navy, and that was a Marine . . .

And we never did get our sh)&@ back!

::) :P ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
Hi,

Although the wrong era, I had a '62 Chevy 'Suburban/Carryall' (with dual ambulance doors in the rear and two doors up front) that I had rather fixed up .... 3/4 ton variable rate springs, anti-sway bars front and rear.

Then there was the engine ... I had found an old Offenhouser 4 bbl manifold in a junkyard, and put a Holley 450 on it... and I met a man who built race distibutors ... had him take a '69 HEI ignition system and throw away anything that had to do with smog ... when he got done it was a fully centrifugal distributor.

The thing had instantaneous torque ... in the lowest gear of the Chevy 4 speed (actually more like a 3 speed with a hellacious granny gear) would pull stumps out and never get over 1000 RPM. And it was so low that I could literally walk along side the car and steer it at 800 Rpm ....

The gas finally got to me ... I was commuting 60 Miles one way to the USAF Reserves at Travis AFB twice a month ... and I sold it to a friend who still has it (he uses it just for hauling and camping.

On the one hand, I wish I still had it ... but I could never afford to even fill the 20+ gallon tank up ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com