Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Erxta
« on: November 02, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
This week, participated in a movie as an extra. Although, they were happy with my/our performance as extras, I failed, compared to all on set, I was the only one on set that knew/understood the period! Understand, the 1st thing I saw on stage grated me, a modern CSA flag, 2nd my CSA lt was dressed in a Halloween Costume. I am sorry, but it isn?t my call to correct at this point, I had more appropriate uniforms/flags from period. What do you do? I was there as an extra, not an expert, at best, Incan nudge.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Erxta
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
Too bad you went alone. When I have been an extra, it was with my unit. Our unit did a lot of NPS living histories and they were pretty good historians. In one instance, we recast a scene because the movie folks didn't know how to set up a camp or stack Trapdoor Springfields using the stacking swivels. In another movie, the script called for a bunch of soldiers to mill around camp. I had a set of bones, so a spirited craps game broke out, which quickly involved more than just our unit. The director liked it. That's probably the key, having a director that is flexible and cares enough to want to get the history right. I know of at least one instance where the extras revolted because the script was so screwed up, which did result in improved historical accuracy. However, it could have easily resulted in the extras being invited to leave.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
After 50 years in that business  ...I could tell you " ire " raising stories    ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:10:25 AM »

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »
Please explain ?IRe?.
Messed up items, current non period Confederate flag.
CSA Lt wearing a light blue polyester Halloween uniform , cpl cavalry stripes on trousers, nothing on collar, wearing gray kepi, with 1873 crossed Springfields.
You are an extra on set, not an historical advisor, I had corrections in my car. Since filming started before I arrived, I kept my mouth shut.
Thanks
Brian

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
    :)

Definition of ire
: intense and usually openly displayed anger

One example

On location "Ride With The Devil"   Director Ang Lee insisted the use of BRASS Frame Remington's  because he felt they looked good on camera  :o

Tried to tell him they were guns that never were ...he wouldd have none of it  ::)  The principal actors all had them

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
Wasn?t that far, but in my view it was ?fubar?!
Brian

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
"Historical" movies are often on par with "Reality" TV.  Of course, some do better than others............
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 09:07:27 PM »
It wasn't for trying...

what pissed us off was the deaf ear ? often in pre-production ...once filming began it was already to late

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
Makes you appreciate the ones that get a lot of it right.  Being into old guns, I'd always notice the guns weren't right.  One of my cousins is heavily into horses, and she'd notice four different horses ridden by the same guy in one chase scene.  When "Heartbreak Ridge" came out, I was halfway through the movie before I realized that was supposed to be 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, when any Marine out there could see it was obviously Camp Pendleton, specifically Camp Talega.  I won't even get into police shows...........
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 01:20:46 AM »
Or cooking shows. 

Myself and quite a few others have gotten a severe dislike for one featuring camp cooking as well as the YouTube videos.

Let's face it most TV and movies suck.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
CAS-minded viewers want to know...
I'm really curious: what was the working title of the film/video, where was it shot, who starred in it and was it for TV, wide screen or local/state educational use? Were there any other local Iowa City or Iowa troopers in it? What was the production company's name? Hadn't heard about any local casting call, must have missed it.
Best regards and good editing!
'Ol Gabe

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »
Makes you appreciate the ones that get a lot of it right.  Being into old guns, I'd always notice the guns weren't right.  One of my cousins is heavily into horses, and she'd notice four different horses ridden by the same guy in one chase scene.  When "Heartbreak Ridge" came out, I was halfway through the movie before I realized that was supposed to be 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, when any Marine out there could see it was obviously Camp Pendleton, specifically Camp Talega.  I won't even get into police shows...........

Hi, I work in Aerospace.  Don't watch things like Broken Arrow or Pearl Harbor with us.  In Pearl Harbor some of the destroyers that they flew over were current issue next to the Arizona...

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Details at this time minimal, didn?t keep a copy of the release. At this time, movie title ?40?, based upon slaves were given 40 acres as reparation. No well known actors. My personal observation, it may make BET.
The 1st scene I was filmed in was scene 106 DB2, (dead body 2), director wanted me flat on my back, so I took the position he wanted, but thought, dead before hitting the ground, rifle would be past my hand. On ground for 5 takes, when they said done, I sat up, dug my heals in & placed marks where to return too. Sure enough after reviewing raw footage, the director wanted a reshoot, so returned to my marked position. Both producers & director came to me amazed, you didn?t move for 5 takes, then returned to same spot for 3 more.
Brian

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 12:41:34 AM »
For the portrayal of a dead body in a short film or documentary

And the Oscar goes too ...... Dusty Tagalon  ;D

I myself played a slain Mexican lancer in " Houston the Legend of Texas"  and  the Body of Green B Jamerson in "Alamo the Price of Freedom....
seems from all angles I had the BLOAT down just right  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com