Author Topic: Captian Schaeffers 1851 (replica)  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Captian Schaeffers 1851 (replica)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
 :)

The first run of these was 3 years ago. and I lusted for one...
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,57433.msg693713.html#msg693713

With exception of using an off the frame bullet press & conicals w/ 16 grains of BP ....I'm still enamored

Here it is with my other Stubby ( 38 heel based ) ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »

Good Grief (Famous stolen line from Charlie Brown) .....  Has it really been 3 years already??  Flies certainly have Time when the Fun Flys.

Well, ok.  Back when the Capt. Schaeffers were first hinted at (GOTOW) I JUST ABSOLUTELY had to have one so I grabbed a pair from the first run and went thru em to prep for CAS use and found them to just EXCELLENT.  I still judge them to be most excellent.

The Cap Schaeffers, the Marshals and the 1862 Dance are all made the same way.  High polish heat treated steel.  In my never overstated opinion, these are special guns.  I personally think they are the best made Cap Guns on the market.  However, they still need the TLC required for CAS gaming.

I was some surprised Mike didn't use a separate cylinder loading stand and instead opted for the "Slixhand" to make use of the loading lever.  Without the Slixhand, the loading lever is useless except it really looks the Biz.  I fast forwarded thru most of the presentation (BORING) so I don't know if he covered his ministrations.  The guns do shoot some high, but because of the rather nice engraving, I opted NOT to pull the Navy pattern front sight and dovetail a blade sight.  I also don't shoot .375 balls.  I use the EPP UG - 36 as cast which drops at 380. 

If your looking for something just a little different ...... go for a Capt. Schaeffer or even a PAIR for CAS Gaming.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:14:28 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com