Author Topic: problem with winchester 1873 44-40 ejection  (Read 2133 times)

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
problem with winchester 1873 44-40 ejection
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:00:30 PM »
Hello Pards,
I picked up a 73 Winchester 44-40 about 30 years ago. At the  time I bought it was bad shape. Had it cleaned up or restored which came back to me in super shape. Had no intent on shooting it, but now I have retired and have time to mess with my old guns and reloading for them. I am starting to get into Cowboy action shooting and reloading for them. Well any way I got the 73 Winchester 44-40 out and was going  to just check a dummy round ( since I have never fired it) that I reloaded ( no primer or powder in the case) and slipped it into the loading gate and into the chamber. The cartridge chambered fine but will not eject. I seems the ejector or extractor does not pick up the case rim and eject it on the downward movement of the lever. It seems like the ejector does not even go into the notch above the chamber. Any ideas before I hang it on the wall?

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: problem with winchester 1873 44-40 ejection
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »

Check to see if the extractor is bent. As you start to work the lever to extract the case the extractor should be engaged in the groove of the cartridge.

This happened to me a couple of years ago with my '73. I have no idea how it got bent.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »

RockingR

Some confusion in terminology.  The "Ejector" in an 1873 is the Carrier Block.  Your having a problem with the "Extractor" on top of the Breach Block (Bolt). 

The extractor should reach over the Case Head to grip ties case to extract it.  To do so, the Bult must also travel all the way to the cartridge, minus about 4 - 6 thou.  It sounds as if either your bolt travel is too short (Bad Head Space) or the extractor is Kaput.  Sometimes folks try to fix things by turning the part into junque.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:47:10 PM »

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
Sorry for the confusion Coffinmaker, I meant the extractor on top of the breech block. I does not clip over the rim of the cartridge on the downward motion of  the lever .It also looks like there is a .050  or more between cartridge face and the breech block face. I think I may have excessive head space but have a extractor coming and will replace it and will try but in the event it doesn't and one know of a competent gunsmith that might be able to turn barrel down (re thread)and solve the headspace problem? I live in the NW Washington area. I appreciate any and all recommendation and comments fellas. Thanks again in advance!

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
Run your dummy cartridge in as you did, then press the breech bolt forward and see if it snaps over the case rim. If that works it maybe the linkage and / or pins are worn. The fix then is a rebuild of the action.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »
I tried pushing the breech  block forward  still didn't clip the rim of the shell

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »

NEXT STEP:

You will need a set of TAPERED automotive type blade feeler gauges.  With a DUMMY cartridge chambered, start checking the space between the Bolt face and the Cartridge head.

Optimum Head Space for your rifle is .004 to .006 although the rifle may still function with as much as .010.  Sounds as if yours is an "Original" and if so, links may be a problem as will a different Bolt.  Custom links for an original '73 are really hard to come by.

May well be the barrel needs set back.  That may also include set back of the magazine tube.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:35:01 PM »
 I'm w/ the others ,, try this ,, pull the side plates , remove the links , lift the carrier up to support the bolt, then push on the firing pin moving the bolt forward up to see if the extractor slips over the rim , if it does , need pins & links ,( what ya'll think ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:21:29 AM »
I did manage to push the breech block forward a smidge where the extractor clicked over the rim but seems like there is a lot of head space. I was able to slide a small allen wrench between the bolt face and the cartridge rim measuring .070 to .080 .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »

Oh Wonderful  NOT.  Your Head Space is WAY WAY WAY too much.  I wonder if the Breach Block and Links are even original to the rifle.  NOBODY ships a rifle with that much head space.  Nobody.

Your rifle needs serious attention by a Skilled Toggle link/Rifle guy.  I would personally list your rifle as "Unsafe to Shoot."  As is ..... A good looking wall hanger.

Offline RockingR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 09:06:30 AM »
 :'( Thanks gents

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:12 PM »
Rocking R.....In Granite Falls, Washington, 98252,  is Grumpys Gun Repair.   He told me he was well versed in toggle link rifles.    E-mail;  GrumpysGR@gmail.com;   Addy; 172020 100st NE, Granite Falls, WA  98252.   425-2101373.    contact him with your info. and problems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com