Author Topic: Original Winchester 50-95 Brass Question  (Read 1255 times)

Offline JustinGr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original Winchester 50-95 Brass Question
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
I picked up an original 1876, and it is chambered in 50-95. In my reading, I have seen reference that the modern Uberti uses a small diameter rim on the modern 50-95, and the original 50-95 had a larger diameter rim (628). Any truth in this?

Anyone shoot the modern brass (BP) in an original and have any issues? Also, I found a company that makes 50-95 brass from new 32 Gauge Shot Shell, reformed. They claim it is dimensionally identical to the original Win 76 50-95. I read some posts that this shell is not capable of any longevity in BP for the 50-95. So looking for input on this. Do not want to sink money unnecessarily. The 32 Gauge Shot Shell Brass is significantly cheaper than Bertram.

Thank you

Justin

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Original Winchester 50-95 Brass Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
I picked up an original 1876, and it is chambered in 50-95. In my reading, I have seen reference that the modern Uberti uses a small diameter rim on the modern 50-95, and the original 50-95 had a larger diameter rim (628). Any truth in this?

Anyone shoot the modern brass (BP) in an original and have any issues? Also, I found a company that makes 50-95 brass from new 32 Gauge Shot Shell, reformed. They claim it is dimensionally identical to the original Win 76 50-95. I read some posts that this shell is not capable of any longevity in BP for the 50-95. So looking for input on this. Do not want to sink money unnecessarily. The 32 Gauge Shot Shell Brass is significantly cheaper than Bertram.

Thank you                                                       I cant help with the question 32 gauge shot shell or the Bertram brass , having never used either in my original 1876 with a new barrel in 50-95 wcf. I have used Jamison brass and Winchester 348 brass fireformed to 50-95 wcf along with 50-90 Sharps Starline brass formed into 50-95 wcf . I do know shooters that are using the same brass mentioned that I use in their Uberti rifles without problems . The Jamison brass is not made anymore so you are limited to the others mentioned , unless you find some old new stock . If you are concerned that your Bolt  / Extractor will not work with newer brass , then measure from center of firing pin hole to bottom inside of extractor x two and you will have the measurement that is Max. for rim dim. Personally I would purchase the 50-95 wcf brass formed by Buffalo Arms  and try them through the rifle . One thing to remember is the rim thickness Dim. control's Head Space and that Dim . is not forgiving , where the outer rim Dim . is somewhat forgiving . As long as your Head Space is within spec. I  doubt you will have any trouble  using Dave's brass at Buffalo Arms  .  Good Luck .,,,DT

Justin

Offline JustinGr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
Thanks. I just obtained an original Winchester 50-95 round today, purchased from a collector. The Rim Diameter is 624, and the Rim Thickness is 060. This is a unmarked case with a ?x? in the copper cup in the nose. Told it?s from 1879-1884, before they started stamping. It loads and proper headspace with gauges. So it?ll be my template to make rounds.

The company that reforms the 32 Gauge claims online that the original Express was 628 Diameter. Makes me suspect. I?ll call them.

I found several boxes of JBA loaded ammo for less than a bag of brass. Cheaper to buy it and pull the tips and start over. Seems a rude profit margin is acceptable when the rounds are scarce.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:36:34 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
How about a pic. of that Big .50 . Here is mine .,,,DT

Offline JustinGr

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Mines in pieces. Purchased from this site from an estate of a man restoring it, who sadly passed. It has a new 22? octagon barrel ( Winchester Bob installed), and will be heading to Mike Hunter for finishing the barrel dovetails for the tube and forearm to be installed. He will also traditionally blue it.

It came with the Winchester Letter and 3 new set of stocks. I?ll post a picture when I get home.

Thanks

Justin

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »
Oh Ok , good luck with your project .,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk