Author Topic: Savage Navy percussion revolver  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Savage Navy percussion revolver
« on: January 17, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »
I always thought of this as a strange-looking clunker. I have a different view after seeing this informative video.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Savage Navy percussion revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Howdy

I had a chance to examine one up close last week.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/99/179.html

It was completely functional and after watching that video I understood how to operate it. Really nifty the way the lower 'trigger' cocked the hammer and rotated the cylinder. I was temped to bid on it, but I had something else in my sights that day.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
Thanks for the link Skeeter, cool video.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:41:45 PM »

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
It always amazes me to see the actual engineering savvy those folks had back then.

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
Got one for sale if anyone's interested. It's a shooter and I'll include a 390rb mold with it. Send me a PM

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
Got one for sale if anyone's interested. It's a shooter and I'll include a 390rb mold with it. Send me a PM

What are you asking? Historically speaking, Lt. Fred. Beecher, of Beecher Island fame was packing one of these during the CW. Although the original gun was NOT with the holster, I happened to see the holster and belt he owned, with documentation from relatives of his. The owner of the holster tried every CW revolver in the leather, and the ONLY gun that fit correctly was a Savage Navy! (You could fit a Colt's M1860 in the holster and have room left over for a small additional gun!  :o  Too bad the gun was sold by the relatives back in the 1940's, and in their letter authenticating the holster and belt, they couldn't remember the type of gun.)   :(

Beecher was, from my research, a gun nut! Before being KIA in the Beecher Island battle, he had, by his own account in letters to his family a Hawken rifle, a Slocum revolver, his issued M1860 Colt's, and had asked his brother to send him a Henry Repeating Rifle. There was at least one Henry at the Beecher Island battle, and it was probably Beecher's.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
$1200...shipped