Author Topic: Powder Coating Bullets  (Read 1177 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Powder Coating Bullets
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
Is anyone out there powder coating their Bullets?  I am considering getting into that at least for the non BP loads.  Shooting Gas Checks in the Krag and  03 Springfield will stick with Montana Bullet works bullets rather than  go thru the drill of casting gaschecking an lubing.  So guess it will mostly be pistol rounds that I powder coat.  If I acquire a H&R Officers Trapdoor I could be tempted to run smokeless powder coated in both it and the Vaquero vs the Originial 88 TD which will only see BP in its remaining life which required BP in the Pistol as well if I am to stay with in the spirit of the muster

If anyone is doing bullet powder coating please advise of potential land mines
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Powder Coating Bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:16 AM »
Scruffy Skippy powder coats.
scruffyskippy@gmail.com
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »
I started dabbling with it. Have not perfected it yet.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:25:14 PM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
HI

My Schofield load uses 250 grain coated lead round nose.  I've shot a bunch of the Missouri Bullet ones and I have a few hundred of Scruffy Skippy's loaded up.  They look pretty much the same.

I haven't tried coated in my 1911's at this point, and have no current plans to do so. 

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Using Missouri Bullet Hi-Tech bullets (That's Hi-tech coated not Powder coated) ....  in m Milsurp  30 Cal's

I have flirted with the idea of setting up to do some on my own  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »
Got the powder today, a powder buy the pound mistery box 10 lbs $20 and equal amount of shipping so essentially $4 a pound.  Half Sea Foam Green and half Nautical Blue the adventure begins after I get an oven and some hardware cloth to make a basket that fits nicely in what ever oven follows me home.  Good will or walmart decisions decisions
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
Got the powder today, a powder buy the pound mistery box 10 lbs $20 and equal amount of shipping so essentially $4 a pound.  Half Sea Foam Green and half Nautical Blue the adventure begins after I get an oven and some hardware cloth to make a basket that fits nicely in what ever oven follows me home.  Good will or walmart decisions decisions
I don't powder coat bullets, but do powder coat for my hotrod hobby.  I found an electric oven in the Craigslist freebies.  Don't need to worry about burners.  I picked up a toaster oven from a local resale shop for about $5.  I use the toaster oven for smaller parts.  Might work for what you need.  Sarge.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »
Well my first foray into powder coating was in two parts.  I heated some 255 grain 455 Semi wad cutters and some 500 3R Lee to 140 degrees indicated in the toaster oven.  Shook in the powder not much stuck baked at 250 for 14 min.  Needed a lot more coat.  Put the Semi wads back in the powder while too hot and with too much powder got a glopped together mess.  Puth the much cooler 500 grainers in what little was left of the powder and they coated pretty well broke apart the 255 grainers as best I could and baked both think to 400 this time.  The 500 grainers came out about 90% good to go some that touched the goopy 255 grainers came out with a bunch of globs.  Resized them to .459 and they will be shootable.  Had to order a .454 sizer from Track of the Wolf took about 4 days to arrive.  Ran the 255 grain gloppy ones thru it most had to go nose first.  They will be shootable.  The next time my dentists calls and cancels one of my crowns or root canals I will do some more powder coating.  Tumble lubing with diluted alox and JPWax is much easier.  One caveat when I get to actually shoot them PC and Tumble lubed bullets if the powder coated shoot better may have to actually develop decent tumble lubing technique. 

I have loaded some of the powder coated and a bunch of the tumble lubed for my .458 socom.  I want to try them at approx trapdoor springfield velocities and also some high subsonic just in case the wimp in me comes out.  As I recall the 88 trapdoor was not pleasant to shoot with the 500 grainers sitting on top of 65ish grains of Olde Eynsford 2F when I made a miserable attemp to shoot long range in Craig a couple years back.  Subsequent trips to the range had that bullet key holing at 50 yards.  Think when I ran it on top of 55 Grains I got round holes at 100 and decent groups but they were hard to keep on a target at 200.  Will see if the old boy likes the 405 grainers any better at 2 and 300 if not then it is getting a 500 grain round nose mold and trying a different bullet.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com