Author Topic: rolling blocks?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
rolling blocks?
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
I am interested in getting a rolling block but in a more available caliber than .43 or 7x57.My first thought is could a 7x57 be rechambered or rebarreled to .30-06 ( a common caliber easy to find ammo and reload for) or would a .43 to .45-70 conversion be easier?  Would either be suitable for a milspec single shot GAF rifle?
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: rolling blocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
.43 Spanish components are available for reloading.

Danes, Argentines, Swedes, and Egyptians, amongst others, all used the rolling block. Remington sold a batch of rolling blocks to France during the Franco-Prussian war. I'm sure there are other nations, as it is safe to say the rolling block action for awhile was the darling of the world's military.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
While you may not be able to get shells from Wal Mart, I wouldn't consider 7X57 uncommon or hard to load. I'm sure Midway or Graf's has anything you might need.

Since I tend to lean more toward the unusual calibers, I think one of the French 8mm lebel ones would be neat(but a bit pricey) On the other hand, the Swedish ones are nice too.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:34 PM »

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »
.43 Spanish components are available for reloading.

Danes, Argentines, Swedes, and Egyptians, amongst others, all used the rolling block. Remington sold a batch of rolling blocks to France during the Franco-Prussian war. I'm sure there are other nations, as it is safe to say the rolling block action for awhile was the darling of the world's military.

RCJ
The ones the French bought for the Franco-Prussian War were a batch of 10,000 the Navy had condemned because the rear sight had been installed right over the chamber.  They used the proceeds to buy 12,000 new Remingtons with the sight properly placed.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Online Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »
I am interested in getting a rolling block but in a more available caliber than .43 or 7x57.My first thought is could a 7x57 be rechambered or rebarreled to .30-06 ( a common caliber easy to find ammo and reload for) or would a .43 to .45-70 conversion be easier?  Would either be suitable for a milspec single shot GAF rifle?
I wouldn't give up on the 7mm rolling blocks!  Components are easy to get, and the rifles themselves are all over Gunbroker.  Lots of them were used by the Mexicans, and in South America it was said you couldn't properly start a revolution without a few rolling blocks!

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
     .30-06 would be a poor choice as the action is not strong enough and even though you could down load and still have a useful gun somebody will get ahold of the gun sometime in the future and might try max loads in it with bad results.

Online Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:58 AM »
     .30-06 would be a poor choice as the action is not strong enough and even though you could down load and still have a useful gun somebody will get ahold of the gun sometime in the future and might try max loads in it with bad results.
Exactly!  If I was going to have one rebored and rechambered, I'd have it done in something like .30-40 Krag.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
There's a .50-70 at Acher Arms right now.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
I was asking about the .30-06or.45-70 mainly  because I already have reloading components for those and am trying to keep things simple.  maybe not possible in this I am also still looking for that elusive trapdoor bargin of the year.

thanks for the help everyone.

Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
For keeping it simple, the 7X57 ones would be one of the best of the military calibers. Just need a set of dies from Lee, and some bullets. Powder and primers you already have for "06 will work fine, even the shellholder is the same. Add a lee bullet mould for casting lead bullets for matches and you're in business!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
ok next question,  would a 7x67 rolling block be OK with a US IW eera outfit? 
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
    One might be OK if you were with Pershing on the Mexican border and you and your friends were trying one you had captured.

Loading the 7x57 for these rolling blocks is not as easy as just getting a set of dies.  The shoulder in the chamber is further foreward than the modern 7mm and it is not a good idea to fireform the brass and neck size as the case streches badly at the base rather than pushing the shoulder foreward (incipent case seperation).  One way to get brass is to use 8mm cases and back the 7mm dies out.  Adjust the die down till you get a case that the action will just close on and check the case length trimming if necessary.  The positive news is if you have a good bore they are very accurate.

Online Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
There's a .50-70 at Acher Arms right now.
It's been sold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com