Author Topic: GAF pistol course questions  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF pistol course questions
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:25:17 PM »
I guess I'm confused. I read the regs on scoring of course of fire as outlined here: http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/postalmatch.htm
Do I need witnesses? Also, can I assume that a Ruger NMV is okay to shoot the course with? I have a Cimarron Arms USV model SAA if not, so no problem there, it's just that my Rugers are my primary CAS pistols.
Hopefully this will work out with GAF as the likelihood of me getting to a GAF match is not very great for the immediate future. As I've "qualified" with every living history and military organization I've ever been attached to (shot expert with the active duty Army every time) I'd love to be able to wear the marksman badge at CAS events as well.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: GAF pistol course questions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:42:30 AM »
Capt. Bishop,

If you will look at the last paragraph it has a "here" to check on what weapons are listed to be shot for the postal match shoots.  All that I could find was the Bisley Vaquero, but you may wish to check with Pitspitr as I beleive that he is scoring the postal shoot.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Captain Barrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »
Do I need witnesses? Also, can I assume that a Ruger NMV is okay to shoot the course with? I have a Cimarron Arms USV model SAA if not, so no problem there, it's just that my Rugers are my primary CAS pistols.
Captain Bishop,

Long as the revolver in question does NOT have adjustable sights, you will be fine. Personally, why not shoot the course twice, once with the Ruger, and once with the SAA?
Your humble, obedient servant,

David P. Barrett
Captain, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment
Regimental Adjutant

"...For I am as constant as the Northern Star..."

GAF #2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:54:57 PM »

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
The rifle and pistol courses are a lot of fun. Those of us that shoot bullseye and rifle matches don't get to use the GAF style targets!  :-)

I photocopied a myriad of GAF targets and shot them on my home ranges and in my local shooting club range with everything from my 1877 Colt Double Action .41 Long Colts to my Les Baer "wadcutter" .45 ACP!  :-)  I also fired on them with my Buffalo single shots in .50-140 and .45-70 and my hunting rifles as well as my hunting rifles in .338 Winchester Magnum and in .35 Remington as well as my SASS rifles.

The targets are different enough to add a fun dimension to my shooting!  :-)
:-)

Offline Captain Lee Bishop

• Rough Rider, 1st US Cav (USV)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ..on your order, Colonel Roosevelt!
    • Thunderbolt Productions
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »
Thanks, Top, I didn't notice that list! It does have the Vaquero listed, so I'm good (especially as the New Model is closer to a SAA). I figured it'd have to be there as it's arguably the most popular revolver in CAS these days. Still, I might shoot it with my USV "artillery model" anyway. I have the targets printed up already and it's on my agenda for the weekend to shoot this course, weather permitting.
Personally, why not shoot the course twice, once with the Ruger, and once with the SAA?
Because I'm very cheap and ammo is expensive!  :P

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »
We're in the process of re-writing the regs. for the postal Shoots, however they probably won't be done in time for the fall match. Check back in right before you shoot it. If the regs. have been updated the changes will be in there, if not the list will be as is.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com