Author Topic: Changing my line up.  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Changing my line up.
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
I really, really love the 8" with the gated and the ejector rod.  VERY 1869ish.  I love it being a 5 shot like the original .46 rim fire conversions.

The 5.5 Pale Rider is great, but I really want a loading port on it.  Problem is, you can't mount a Kirst ejector rod on a 5.5" because the barrel ram latch lug is too close to remove the cylinder pin.  I've been working on a fix for Walt, but haven't come up with one.

I think the easiest is to get another 8".  I already have another gated headed my way.  If I go with another 8" gated, I'll probably sell off the Pale Rider and 5.5"  as I already have an Uberti 1860 .45 conversion as a back up revolver.  SCORRS will be the first to know.....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Changing my line up.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 01:57:07 PM »
You changing your line up.  ???  imagine that !  ;D

only person I know with more acute gunitus ....might be me  :-\
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
LOL!  At  least I am sticking with Remingtons.....  There is something so 1869 about the 5 shot Kirst with an ejector rod.  It reminds me of the first cartridge conversion I ever handled in about 1995.  It was a NMA in 5 shot .46 rim fire.  It had an ejector, so it was probably a 2nd model....  That started my cartridge conversion revolver-itus!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:53:08 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
I listed the Kirst Pale Rider on SASS Wire fro $280 shipped.  It won't totally cover the gated I have ordered, but will help.  I also listed the 1858 Pietta 5.5" and Slim Jim for an additional $300 shipped. If the pistol doesn't sell, I'll jut put the gated on it and not run a ejector rod on it.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
Tuolumne Lawman,
  Why not a jointed (with a link) pin? Some folks install a jointed pin in their 5 1/2" ers. You could do the same with the "all in one Kirst Remie pin/ejector.

Just a thought .  .  .  .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
I had thought  of that possibility, maybe cutting a 60 degree angle in the pin in the middle of the cylinder, then drilling a hole through the 60, and putting a pin through it to create a joint.  My thought though is that it would not be very sturdy....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:16:10 PM »
"Sturdy" would depend on the "build" but at the end of the day, just a stable bearing surface fore and aft would be sufficient.  Remember, a ROA has a pin that has a deminished mid section for the most part. I reduce the mid section of Remington pins for the accumulation of fouling. A cut ring with a series of grooves lead any fouling to the reduced section for a day of "non- binding" shooting!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
What if you filed the frame enough at the muzzle end of the bore for the cylinder pin to let the pin to come out and drop enough to pass the lug? In other words, make the very end of the pin travel sloppy when the rod is pulled as far as it can go. Alternately, can you remove a bit on the bottom side of the pin at that point to let it drop? It would seat properly and not be too loose over most of the bearing surface.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
That is an option someone had on a youtube video a while ago.  I would have to cut out the old cylinder pin out, the auger out the side of the hole.  Between that and cutting off one of the front "wings", and maybe cut a slight angle to help it clear the lug. I am getting about 35 of the "transitional" ejectors from Walt to modify with my fix I described in the other post.  Final production will be different, but Walt wants me to fix these ejectors to be "Tuolumne Lawman's ejector design" so he can sell them at a discount.  I am using one of those to explore the possibility of doing the angle bevel, trimmed wing mod to see if it will work.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
how much did it cost to have your revolver converted? i've been thinking on doing the same for a 1860 army, I'm calculated the cost at the moment though.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »
I did the channel myself with a dremel and cold blue.  I have done it on both 1858 Remington and 1860 Colts.  Cutting the channel on the Remmie took about 1/2 hr, and the Colt took about 45 minutes.

The gated Konvereters  for either 1858 or 1860 run $325 + or - plus shipping.  The non gated Pale Rider for the 1858 is $300.  I am selling a Pale Rider non gated Pietta 1858 Konverter for $280 including shipping.  Ejector assemblies for Colt or Remington run $135 or so.

You can buy Uberti factory conversions for about the same total money, but I enjoy the do it yourself aspect.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 10:37:37 PM »
how much did it cost to have your revolver converted? i've been thinking on doing the same for a 1860 army, I'm calculated the cost at the moment though.

Here is a thread I did on an 1851 in .44 (it used an 1860 Konverter and an 1851 ejector.)

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,61499.0.html
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »
That is an option someone had on a youtube video a while ago.  I would have to cut out the old cylinder pin out, the auger out the side of the hole.  Between that and cutting off one of the front "wings", and maybe cut a slight angle to help it clear the lug. I am getting about 35 of the "transitional" ejectors from Walt to modify with my fix I described in the other post.  Final production will be different, but Walt wants me to fix these ejectors to be "Tuolumne Lawman's ejector design" so he can sell them at a discount.  I am using one of those to explore the possibility of doing the angle bevel, trimmed wing mod to see if it will work.
You have a picture of your 45 degree mod?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
 I cut the angle from the top of the long track to the top of the bottom short track.  When using the ejector, it returns to the retracted under the barrel position automatically under spring pressure.  By leaving the 90 degree angle at the cylinder end of the short bottom track, it prevents the ejector from compressing the spring when holstering. I used it at my local match and it is flawless.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
I cut the angle from the top of the long track to the top of the bottom short track.  When using the ejector, it returns to the retracted under the barrel position automatically under spring pressure.  By leaving the 90 degree angle at the cylinder end of the short bottom track, it prevents the ejector from compressing the spring when holstering. I used it at my local match and it is flawless.

That looks great! Very good work, there.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

Nah.   I change my lineup the most.  Of Course they are all Colt pattern Open Tops because REMINGTON SUCK   ;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
Nah.   I change my lineup the most.  Of Course they are all Colt pattern Open Tops because REMINGTON SUCK   ;D

LOL!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »
That looks great! Very good work, there.

Thanks!  I expect to have the ejectors (to modify) from VTI/Kirst next week.  It will take another week to get them done, then Priority mail back to VTI.  They are also proceeding with a new modified production run, where the channel is on the bottom, and just goes straight back. I like my design better.  Walt has not set a price yet for the TL design, but it will be slightly cheaper. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
Thanks!  I expect to have the ejectors (to modify) from VTI/Kirst next week.  It will take another week to get them done, then Priority mail back to VTI.  They are also proceeding with a new modified production run, where the channel is on the bottom, and just goes straight back. I like my design better.  Walt has not set a price yet for the TL design, but it will be slightly cheaper.
I also like your design better. I don't need one right now but maybe that will be something I should think about getting for some yet undertermined future need.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »
I also like your design better. I don't need one right now but maybe that will be something I should think about getting for some yet undertermined future need.

Let me know, and I'll hold one back for you when I ship them back to VTI.  There will be about 30-35 (I don't have number yet).  You can make it right with Walt, and then I will ship to you when he says I can.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com