Author Topic: Indian War Shotgun Shell Carriage  (Read 6579 times)

1961MJS

Indian War Shotgun Shell Carriage
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
Hi

I'm looking at buying a 12 gauge coach gun for SASS and NCOWS.  I have a serious problem wearing the shot shell belt above the pistol belt, it looks like something NOBODY would wear on a horse or in the yard.  I see that Dave Carrico carries shot shell Mills belts.  Could / would a scout type wear one of the belts as a bandoleer, i.e. over one shoulder?  I'll need the cartridge belt for .45 LC ammunition.  I guess another alternative would be to just carry it in the vest pockets.

Thanks

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Indian War Shotgun Shell Carriage
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »
1961MJS

They do make Mills belts with combination shotgun and bullet loops.  I carry mine in a Dyer Pouch and find that works for me.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
The bandoleer was one of the most popular ways of carrying Cartridges of all stripes.
Outside the Shotshell pouch you could do as some of us have done & have Shotshell Loops on your Second Pistole Belt & cross them over each other.
Wearing a belt above a belt was started by "Gamesters" to give themselves an advantage w/o breaking the rules untill they started wearing them like a Bra. Hence the No wearing them above the Naval Rule.

Hi

I'm looking at buying a 12 gauge coach gun for SASS and NCOWS.  I have a serious problem wearing the shot shell belt above the pistol belt, it looks like something NOBODY would wear on a horse or in the yard.  I see that Dave Carrico carries shot shell Mills belts.  Could / would a scout type wear one of the belts as a bandoleer, i.e. over one shoulder?  I'll need the cartridge belt for .45 LC ammunition.  I guess another alternative would be to just carry it in the vest pockets.

Thanks
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:16:03 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
I like the bandoleer approach myself, on the rare occasions I shoot SASS these days.  My favorite is to use a US Cavalry M1912 pocket bandoleer, with 2 shells per pocket.  Worn over the right shoulder it presents the shells perfectly to my left hand, while the relativly narrow strap does not interfere with the shotgun butt.  (Rossi hammer double)

Now that my local clubs let me shoot GAF style, I don't use shotgun much anymore.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

1961MJS

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:46 AM »
Hi

I've got a line on a Remington Spartan that's only got a hundred or so rounds through it for $500.00.  The guy bought all of the stuff to shoot CAS, but then worked out that finding cowboy clothing when you're effectively Santa Claus is difficult.  He pretty much quit right away.  I don't believe that I'm taking a beating at that price.

later   :D

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
Depending on how many shotshells you want to pack around at any one time, you could also opt for a M1874 Dyer Pouch. That will handle about six to eight 12ga shotshells.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

1961MJS

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
Hi again

I haven't shot side by sides much.  Does a right handed shooter move the shells with the left or right hand?  Do side by sides usually drop open when you move the lever?  If so, I'd guess the left hand.

Thanks

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
Most side by side shooters unlatch the barrels and holding the fore piece drop the butt of the gun then thrust the muzzle froward slideing the spent shells out then bring the butt up horizantal which lowers the barrel load the shells with the right hand and close the shotgun and cock the hammers. I hope this does not confuse you but helps to see how to load.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
The sass wire forum has a video on shotgun reloads..  Here is direct link to video

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
my good netizens -

Whilst I neither shoot SASS "a lot" nor do I even consider myself "competitive" , I have found that I can cram what few shotshells I need into my vest pockets - I can easily put 4 12 ga shells in each pocket, and am considering a purpose-built vest that will hold 5 in each lower pocket and five more in the "left breast" pocket. I sincerely hope 15 shotshells should cover it!

Also bear in mind that with my outfit I use a C&B style gunbelt ....
This adds to my happiness since it allows me to be more hysterically correct....

yhs
prof (happy) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »
Since shotguns were not issued to US forces until the Great War, I usually carry mine In Mills type web belt worn as a bandolier, or in a small haversack.  Neither is great for speed.   ;D

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
For those who have the movie THE WILD BUNCH etched indelibly in their minds eye, does that flic provide any clues how that bunch of Hollyweird  miscreants carried their shottie fodder?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

1961MJS

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
The bandoleer was one of the most popular ways of carrying Cartridges of all stripes.
Outside the Shotshell pouch you could do as some of us have done & have Shotshell Loops on your Second Pistole Belt & cross them over each other.
Wearing a belt above a belt was started by "Gamesters" to give themselves an advantage w/o breaking the rules untill they started wearing them like a Bra. Hence the No wearing them above the Naval Rule.

Hi

I was re-reading this and saw the below the navel rule.  I gotta loose the gut, after lunch I could set a box of shells on top of my gut, but I couldn't run and have it stay there.  I think I'll use the vest approach.

Later

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com