Author Topic: uniform questions  (Read 72468 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: uniform questions
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
Talk to Jim Kanne at Eureka Arsenal and he should be able to set you up with a hat.  I think his is the 1889.  I've seen one, and I thought he did a nice job.  There are people on here with WAY more knowledge about hats than I have, though.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Eureka Arsenal does make a nice Model 1889.

The idea of first deciding on what you're portraying, and then concentrating on that alone, will save you quite a bit of money during your initial outfitting.

Following that - remember that the Army had a most generous 'wear-out period', so you can add later-issued articles of equipment and clothing slowly, and still be well within Army Regulations of the times.

During the period, the only ones outfitted with the newest gear would've been those serving on the East Coast, or at higher-level units where new things would be shipped.

The field units weren't getting anything brand-new.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
OK, I talked to Jim at Eureka and they make a M1883 hat which should be good for me. I am ordering that now.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 06:54:49 PM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Good Choice!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Next Question...
I assume the knife is need would be the model 1880 knife. Is this correct? Where could one find one?

Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2012, 01:56:06 PM »
No idea - all mine are original.

You 'could' opt for an Indian-made sheath with a carbon steel butcher knife, though - those were very common.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

liten

« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30:35 PM »
 hopalong i hope yr not to fussy about crown heights  his hats are well made ,but im sure hes a bit confused what the crown heights should,  be !   i got my first hat from him ,and i sent it back because the height problem ,  i

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Mr. Kanne knows full well what the height should be.  The problem, as well as I can remember him explaining it to me (it's been awhile), is that the hat bodies available for him to use don't contain enough material for him to get them exactly right, at least in the larger sizes.  Another issue is that most of us are considerably larger than people were then, and thus the proportions on reproduction uniform items are often off just a bit if you stick strictly to the letter of the regulations.  I'm always amazed at how SMALL a lot of original uniform items are, and when you look at the measurements of the larger sizes the Quartermaster carried, a lot of high school freshmen wouldn't fit them now.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

liten

« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
well its up to hopalong, if wants a not enuf material hat  thats up to him,  ,   and if you want to chase geronimo , yr better off on horseback, join the 6th cavalry

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
Can anyone judge the qualiy of the repro knife?
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
There was a practice during the Indian Wars period when an officer could transfer to another post...if he could find an officer of equal rank who wanted to switch with him.  If a coast artillery officer was bored and wanted some adventure "out West" perhaps he could have found another officer, say in Arizona, who was tired of chasing Geronimo, and wanted a change of scene...  With the availability of uniforms being what they were (not), the arty type might have elected to wear his old uniform in the field.

You know, in point of fact, I probably should have been a redleg myself, as I "matriculated" as a targeting officer on some loooong range "morters" back in the '60's. (Just aimed them and made sure they were ready for the capsule drivers if ever needed. Thank God they haven't been so far...!) But studying a bunch of IW period history got me dressed up with a cavalryman's stripes and shoulder straps.  Then, because I felt I'd been a captain long enough (since '68), and because of my leather work and experiments with ammunition, I was breveted major of Ordnance and now brevet Lt. Col. of same.  So you see, you can make whatever you want work!  :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
I have a question about pant leg stripes. I have seen surviving originals with the non-side seam pockets (levi pocket style) and the seam stripes end at the bottom of the pocket and cover the seam. Where do the stipes end on the side seam pocket pants?
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
I think I answered my own question. The stripes continue up to the waistband but go behind the pocket slit.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2012, 04:07:49 AM »
Can anyone judge the qualiy of the repro knife?

Depends on where you get it.  You are looking for a belt knife?  You might want to check Bud-K or Kennesaw Knifes and find one that approximates the style you want.  Failing that, try What Price Glory's website.  IIRC they were advertising 19th Century Issue knifes with Scaboards.  I do not remember seeing Artillery Troops with any issue knives, Sabers, which they used for hacking down brush, but I haven't run into any pictures uf them using anything like the Bolo Knives that you see in the early 20th Century equipment.

If someone else out there knows more about this feel free to sound off.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Thanks for that.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

1961MJS

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »
No idea - all mine are original.

You 'could' opt for an Indian-made sheath with a carbon steel butcher knife, though - those were very common.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Hi

Sorry about being Frankenstein again, but I dislike having six threads about similar things.

I have a few 7 inch Green River butcher knife blades, what sort of Indian style sheath would be used with a Fair Weather Christian Belt (.45 LC)? 

THanks

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2014, 05:07:09 AM »
Wow, after going back and re-reading the early parts of this thread I can hardly believe how far your kit has come in just 2 years GW!

Mike I'll see what I can dig up.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »
I have a question.  I know this Span Am suspender project has been going on for some time now.  I would love to get my hands on a pair of them.  What's the status of that project?

I'm working from the other side of the time line.  I've got my Wild Bunch (Punitive Expedition) kit fleshed out pretty well but now I'm trying to morph what I already own into something pre 1900 that I can wear at Pitsptr's June Grand Muster / Zoot Shooters shindig.

When I was young and dumb I found myself working for my Uncle Sam in the enlisted ranks.  I've developed a reputation in SASS as a natty dresser and the only way I have any chance of keeping up that standard would be in an officer’s uniform.  I've Brevetted myself at one time or another from Captain (I'm way too old to be a shave tail but a crusty old O - 3 exiled to the 9th Cav. works very well) all the way up to Bird Colonel.  I've got some stars somewhere, who knows I may even make it to Brigadier before I'm done.

One thing to remember is that what is worn in garrison is as different as night and day from what’s worn in the field.  I'm sure that’s every bit as true now as it was in the 1800's.   There are two dynamics I learned.  First, no one in the field wants to stand out as a high value target, second, in the field expedient environment comfort and practicality trump uniform regulations every time.

Expect officers and ranking NCO's to attempt to wear uniforms that don't make them look too much different from the EM's and an obvious target.  No one can see the difference in the size of the stripe on someone's trousers from a distance but Officers are and were famous for wearing enlisted hats it the field.  Along that same line saluting in the field is all but unknown unless of course you don't like your CO.

Comfort is always king in the field as well.  That heavy wool blouse couldn't have been very comfortable to wear.  I'd be willing to bet that the when someone finally wrote down the regulations allowing NCO’s to wear stripes on their shirt sleeves or officers to wear rank insignia on their shirt collars in the late 1890’s it was something that had been the practice for some time and they were simply authorizing something they knew worked.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »
Wow, after going back and re-reading the early parts of this thread I can hardly believe how far your kit has come in just 2 years GW!

Mike I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks for the kind words.
I have never been one for half measures.

I've done quite a bit of work this year. I should be well kitted out with largely new uniforms and gear this year. And i have also been working on a new expansion era uniform for 2014 and an entirely different one for 2015.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com