Author Topic: Oh my! The start of a new era...  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Oh my! The start of a new era...
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »
My 7.5 Inch, Navy grip 1871/1872 .44 caliber Open Top from Cimarron should be here tomorrow to start 10 day jail!  Now if I can reclaim the 5.5", blue .44 Open Top I gave my son bout 15 years ago!  He doesn't CAS shoot, but really likes it.  I am going to have to make it REALLY worth it to get it back. 

If not, I'll get another one from Cimarron next month (one pistol in 30 days in Commiefornia).  Until then, I'll pair it with my Kirst Saber River 1860....

besides being the sleekest factory conversion type revolver, I really like the barrel mounted rear sight.  The pair of .45 Open Tops (that I sold when I traded the .45 1860 Henry for a .44-40 one), shot dead nuts on at 15 yards.

From the web:

I am stockpiling .44 Russian ammo and components (already have dies), and even have some .44 Colt brass.

I also ordered their 7.5"/8" Open Top/Conversion Slim Jim.  VERY cool holster.  Their leather is made for Mike by El Paso Saddlery, BTW.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1200
Re: Oh my! The start of a new era...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 01:25:19 PM »
Dang, TL, you sure go through the guns.  :)  Don't you ever keep any of them longer than 6 months?  ;D

I've never had a '71/72 OT, never cared for the barrel mounted rear sight (if we all liked the same thing, it would be boring).  I am considering a .44 Type II, as I have been sitting on a case of Black Hills .44 Russian for a few years.  I've always been happy with .44 Spcl, but hey, why not?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
At 4 to 6 article year for the Cowboy Chronicle (used to be 12 articles a year!), I could not keep all the guns.  I actually have to buy the guns I evaluate and pay CA DROS fees (though my buddy just charges me $25 and the $26 DROS).  Then I sell them to fund the next one.  The difference is the BP revolvers with Kirst, I don't have the DROS expense.  I have articles though, through about October of next year, so it should slow down.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:07 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »
When I had an FFL, it was much easier.  Now, I have to pay to register with an FFL, and have to pay for test samples.  I do get enough discount that it defrays the DROS costs.  When I sell to get something else to write about, I usually break even.  In over 20 years of being a writer, I have been given only one test sample.  Some samples I pay up front, others I get net 180, and pay or send back in 6 months.

I am really hoping to hang on to the .44 Open tops, though.  The last pair I had in .45 were my favorite brace of pistols, second only to the ASM/EMF Type I Richards I had.   With Commiefornia making it difficult to get guns, other than the three more rifles I have lined up to test, I probably won't be buying any more test sample after those. (unless I can get a Cimarron No. 3 American Model).

I plan on still keeping the Kirst Saber River 1860, though.  It is a peach.  I might have to trade the Avenging Angel to my son to get the 5.5 inch .44 Open Top back. We will see.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Outstanding!  I talked my son into trading me the 5.5 inch 1872 .44 (charcoal/fire blue) for the 3" 1860 Avenging Angel!  With the one I ordered, it will a pair!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
Haha!  I'm getting old.  I had my son send my pics of the 44, and was I surprised!  It's an 1860 Richards-Mason, not an 1872 Open top.!!!!  It is 44, has the charcoal blue, and 5.5" grips, just as I remembered, but I thought it was an 1872.  It has been 15 years since I had seen it, so I have a little excuse.  Our shooting forays over the years have all been black rifle shooting.

All in all, though, it is a good thing.  I love both Richards'Mason and Open Tops, so now I have one of each in .44.

Problem is .44 Colt loads would be correct for this R-M, and .44 Russian for the OT.  I have both Russian and Colt brass.  What's a boy to do? :o :o :o

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1200
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
...  What's a boy to do? :o :o :o

Isn't it obvious?  Buy more guns!  :)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »
Isn't it obvious?  Buy more guns!  :)

I assumed that he would come to that conclusion on his own.  This has been his pattern, hasn't it?  Ah, to have those resources.

CC Griff

PS, Was that another reference to black rifles?
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
Love the 71/71, it's my favorite gun. I have a pair in .45 Colt. One has the 7 1/2" barrel, the other has been shortened to just past the ejector housing. They are the sleekest Colts made, to my eye anyway.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
I do agree that my favorite is the 1871/1872 Open Top, and agree it is the sleekest of them all.  With that said, I like the Richards and Richards-Masons almost as much.  Having one of each is NOT a bad thing.  As the saying goes, "I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed just for eating crackers!"  I do wish it had a Navy grip, though.  Maybe VTI...., or swap the OT and RM grips and frames.....  The Army grip would look better on the 7.5" after all.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »
I do have to say that my .44 Colt loads with a 246 grain conical bullet are almost as sexy as the original .44 Colt.  I'll post a picture later.  I still have one in my inert rounds for die setting. (even though it has been 15 years since I loaded any!)  See if you can pick it out of a line up of original .44 Colt rounds.

How about now?\

Yep, its the one in the middle.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
Complete Navy Grip set for the Richards Mason is $135 from VTI.  Checking to see if it is in stock.  I may just swap the two (OT and RM grips) to see if I like it.  Actually the 7.5 inch would not look bad with the Army Grips.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
Out of stock, but expected soon.    I'll try switching and see if that is the way I want to go.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
TL, I got the Open Tops when they first came out. Ordered an Army grip 7 1/2" 45 Schofield and a 5 1/2" Navy Grip 45 Schofield. The Army grip straps were both steel and the Navy size was brass. Grabbed a set of London Navy steel straps for the short gun, fitted fake ivory to both and voila. Have since acquired extra cylinders in 44 Colt and matching 7 1.2" barrels for both as well. Fun guns to be sure.

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
They are sweet, I've got a pair in .45 Schofield. I use a 200 gr. bullet and 28 grs. of 2F. I won the first one at a shoot. It took me about 4 yrs. to get the other one,,,,,,,,, (lazy), you know, "round tuits". Finally got the other one. The one I won was kind of rough, the second one was sweeet ! Two different companies ,,, no names, both well known. Got them both tuned, got the rough one tuned to the sweet one. I love them. I almost stopped shooting my 38-40's.
Gotta love the OT's, and they look good with a Henry.  :D
Isom

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »

I have had two sets of 71/72 Open Tops.  My first set was the guns first sent round to the Scribes by Cimarron.  7 1/2 inch .45 Schofield.  Loved em but the barrels ..... just too durned long.  Cut the barrels to the Ejector assembly.  Much better.  Then I got a set of 38s in trade for services (lots of services) rendered.  They went away.

Now .... I have almost lost count of the number of different barrel/cylinder combinations I have fit up to my original Open Top Guns.  3 inch .38 Snubbies.  4 7/16 inch .45s, 4 3/4 Octagonal .38s, 7 1/2 inch .44 Colt (traded away) and a new set of .44 Colt 7 1/2 to be cut to the ejector assembly this winter.  After the Arbor Fit problem is solved, and the Action tuned, the Open Top is the most versatile gun on the market for CAS.  Just happens to be the ONLY Uberti I like.  Also, the Grip Frames will also interchange.  Versatility personified !!!!!  My Open Tops are the only cartridge guns I own today.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
Major: If yer interested in a brass Navy grip, I have a possible situation to relieve your 'want and need'. I have a Cimarron/Uberti 71/72 Open Top 4 3/4" 44 Colt I bought new in June of 2019 with a brass Navy frame (Cimarron #CA9000). I prefer the Army size grips as that is what I have on my other 44 caliber OT, 44 caliber Richards II, and 38 caliber Richards/Mason hoglegs. Prefer the Army grip also on all my cap and ballers also. Just suits me better, feels better, better balance IMO. Bought the OT on Gunbroker out of Texas, the same time Drydock bought his and posted on this forum/section back in June. Yep, I was the one Drydock referred to as someone getting a good deal, which I did. Was going to post some pics and info, but no idea on how to post the pics and just let it slide. Anyway, If yer interested in a swap, PM me. Open Top grips/frame are as new, no dings or other wear issues. Crow Choker

Edit:  Should change start of post for attention to Tuolumne Lawman--not Major, but will leave as is to make sense out of next two posts.  ;D ;D CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
It wasn't Major, it was me that wants to switch. I am very interested in trading my army grip for your navy grip. I will PM tonight or sooner.

TL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
Yikes--don't know why I wrote Major, knew it was you all the time.  :-[  When I was proofreading my post I knew there was something that wasn't right. Read it several times and still had the 'gut' feeling there was something 'not right', but hit the post button anyway.  ::) ;D  Thanks for the correction. CC
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »
if your saying I aint right ?   

I aint  but not far from it