Author Topic: GAF events close to Utah?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline winchets

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GAF events close to Utah?
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »
I would like to try a match before buying all the gear. I'm a sass and zoot shooter so I have some gear. I  would like to try one closer to home

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: GAF events close to Utah?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
Well, there's really no gear to buy, you allready have what you need.  Now as to what you may WANT in the future . . .

Right now I think it would be Bats group in Colorado.  You can see their posting in "After Action Reports"  If you shoot Zoot you may allready know them.  More than welcome to come on out to Nebraska as well to simply watch, or join in.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »
Drydock is right, I think the closest active GAF match would be the Sand Creek Raiders in the Denver, CO area.  We've been shooting SASS shoots over 20 years, we also shoot something we call "Professionals" (we called it Wild Bunch, but had to find an new movie name when SASS took ours).   Our Professionals matches allow firearms up to 1921 (that includes the Tommy Gun), so you might say we've been shooting Zoot long before AZSA was as well, just in cowboy clothing.  We normally do 2 - 3 "Fun Matches" a year where we also shoot our  Professionals as well as other unofficial cowboy categories like Outlaw and Josey Wales.  We just added GAF "Battle Rifle" categories to our fun matches this year (shot our first match this month).  Our next fun match is Sunday, Aug. 28th.  You could bring over your cowboy, or Zoot guns for that matter and we'll sign you up on a posse where we're also shooting the stages adapted for GAF.  It's not quite the same as the "Skirmish Format" (like a cowboy trail walk) shot at the Grand Muster in Nebraska but it will give you a look at GAF battle rifles/pistols in action.

Not sure where you shoot Zoot, but since I've never run into you at the Western Torpedoes matches in Grand Junction I'm going to have to assume your shooting with some unofficial mob of bootleggers out of the SLC area.   Not to worry, as long as you guys are having fun.  A quick bit of detective work (I am the G Man after all) leads me to believe you're the owner of a face book page with a photo of of a fedora clad man holding a Thompson, wearing a stag handled 1911 in a shoulder rig standing by a blue Model A Coupe.  Would that be you?

By the way the AZSA 2016 Championships will be shot the following weekend (Labor Day) on the same ranges by some of the same shooters. 
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:53 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk