Author Topic: Developed a .30 Mauser load for use in Broomhandle  (Read 4816 times)

Offline HKUriah

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Developed a .30 Mauser load for use in Broomhandle
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »

Reading over the "rules" about allowed guns for Zootshooting, I see that the Broomhandle Mauser is one that is mentioned as okay.

Well, I just spent some time fiddleing around on my reloading bench, and I came up with a load that seems to work well on it.

92 Grain Lead Round Nose Bullet
Powder: Red Dot
Charge:  Are we allowed to post data here?  If so, I'll say what it was.  If not, if anyone wants to know, just ask me and I'll tell you.

Coming over from SASS to AZSA is an interesting modification in handloading.  Personally, on the SASS side, I tend to use Trail Boss for everything, with a minimum charge.  In a revolver, this works very well.

But in autoloaders, other than .45 ACP, not so much.  Trail Boss just isn't "strong" enough to work the actions.  But, I did some research and found that Red Dot, which I happen to have a lot on hand for use in shotguns, can also be used in various pistol calibers.  More research showed it's usable in .30 Mauser.  Given the age of the pistol, I still want a "light" load, but over time I have found that these smaller bore old time auto pistol cartridges, of which I include 9mm, usually the lightest load that'll work is pretty hot compared to a revover cartridge of similar size. 

Oh well, I guess that's part of the fun of being a handloader who shoots a buncha weird old firearms.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Developed a .30 Mauser load for use in Broomhandle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
I've used Titegroup with some success.  A while back there was someone selling newmade locking blocks.  I bought one, had it fitted, and installed a set of new Wolff springs.  Great shooter now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com