Author Topic: Neiderlander has a protogege!  (Read 12377 times)

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Neiderlander has a protogege!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Last name Foster, can not remember their first names right now, would have to do some looking.  My Great Uncle Mel ran a mechanic shop in town.  
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Well, Donnie now has a Hex Reciever Mosin-Nagant, and an 1895 Nagant revolver.  I'm pretty sure he won't be able to break these.  I'm not sure about Ned though . . .

Dress him as a Cossack. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
Russian Sailor actualy.  Striped shirt, white pants, black boots, I've got an old Donald Duck Hat,  black cartridge box on a black belt over the shoulder.  All set for the Boxer rebellion!

BTW there's a pretty good deal on Hex Mosins at J&G sales right now.  1895 Nagants as well.

www.jgsales.com
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:14:16 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
Russian Sailor actualy.  Striped shirt, white pants, black boots, I've got an old Donald Duck Hat,  black cartridge box on a black belt over the shoulder.  All set for the Boxer rebellion!

BTW there's a pretty good deal on Hex Mosins at J&G sales right now.  1895 Nagants as well.

www.jgsales.com
You could also use dark blue pants, the pic I have shows that. Probably blue wool was winter, white cotton for summer. Hardest thing about that uniform is finding a long sleeve pullover red/white striped shirt. Can't tell from the pic I have if it's a regular cotton, or some kind of knit, like a T-shirt material.

Cossack wouldn't be too hard either. I'm thinking if I ever make, or have made a proper white Foreign Legion uniform, I can just make some removable yellow shoulder boards for the jacket, add some green pants and a make up a white version of a donald duck cap, instant dual pourpose uniform!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
Actualy, the book is wrong, the Russian naval shirt is Blue stripes.  But you could use either dark blue or white trousers, I have a picture of sailors wearing both, on the line in Peking.  Its knit cotton, with the colors in the weave, and still available as surplus from Russia.  Sportsmans Guide has them for $18 dollars or so, shipped from Moscow!

I've got the Osprey book, and the color plate has red stripes, but only the Soviet MVD had those, their Navy always used blue stripes since the early 19th century.  Here's a better one:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=russian+navy+uniform+1900&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&biw=1024&bih=613&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=VuJB-Ua6SxQbtM:&imgrefurl=http://uotw.heavenforum.org/t630-some-illustrations-of-imperial-russian-navy-uniforms-from-the-naval-history-magazine-tsitadel&docid=2RSHV0Mm3lnCPM&imgurl=http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/12/75/00/21/z00311.jpg&w=800&h=1077&ei=JQ7pT7LVKYTM2AWkzPnODQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=87&vpy=117&dur=6722&hovh=261&hovw=193&tx=112&ty=142&sig=111117058175265662753&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=90&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:74
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
Well, I guess I can add that to my list of mistakes in the Osprey Boxer Rebellion book.
Some things it says:
1. Marines in peking had Krags. (edit: They have in the book the photo of US Marines in Peking with Lee rifles, but I read somewhere that the Marines involved with the relief force were armed with Krags.)

2. British officers pistols were .38cal.

3. Their plate for III Seebattalion shows them wearing pith helmets. Other sources I have show only 2 kinds of cloth caps, helmets weren't issued to them yet. (Edit: it also shows them with Gew98s, but all the pictures I have seen from that time frame show GEW 88s)

I think there were others, but I can't remember right now what they were.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
That's why I always prefer photographs to paintings.  First person accounts written at the time are good, too.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Problem with the photos is, you can't tell colors very well in B&W photos. The stiped shirt in question would look pretty much the same with either blue or red stripes. But the site Drydock linked to had a period color plate showing light to medium blue &white stripes.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:09 PM »
Actualy, the book is wrong, the Russian naval shirt is Blue stripes.  But you could use either dark blue or white trousers, I have a picture of sailors wearing both, on the line in Peking.  Its knit cotton, with the colors in the weave, and still available as surplus from Russia.  Sportsmans Guide has them for $18 dollars or so, shipped from Moscow!

I've got the Osprey book, and the color plate has red stripes, but only the Soviet MVD had those, their Navy always used blue stripes since the early 19th century.  Here's a better one:

How about this one.
http://www.hessenantique.com/Russian_Striped_Winter_Sweater_p/s10812000.htm

It's advertised as a sweater, but it's cotton, not wool, but still might be a bit warm for Fort Pitspitr in July.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com