Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 400975 times)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #600 on: August 28, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Your a good lookiin pair. Congrats, fine lookin grandson. Mine love to come to Gampa's to look at my guns and shoot. One told his mother once if ISIS ever attacks, he's goin to Gampa's because he has guns.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #601 on: August 28, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »
Howdy
Thanks everyone for the kind words about my Grandson . I dream about the days we can go Hunting and  Shooting together .

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »
Rowdy, can't believe neither one of you are wearing buckskin ??? ;D

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Advertising

« Reply #603 on: Today at 07:17:17 AM »

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
Rowdy, can't believe neither one of you are wearing buckskin ??? ;D

BTB

Give him a break. He's a vintage hunter. Never said anything about being a "vintage Grandpa".  ::) ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #604 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
Howdy
Thanks for the kind words . And I am thinking about a set of buck skins for my grandson in a couple years . Wonder how a car shammy would work for the early years . make a neat set of pj's .  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #605 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »
Howdy
I have loaded a few soft lead bullets and 35 gr. of Old E in my 44wcf . Hope to try a few after work this week . I worked on food plots yesterday . I am trying to help the deer control their cholesterol by planting winter oats .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #606 on: October 06, 2016, 07:30:38 PM »
Howdy
Got a chance to check my oats and they are up , about 4 inches tall . Next weekend is Muzzle Loader season  plan on shooting my smoke pole this weekend . That old round ball rifle has taken 21 deer so far .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #607 on: October 09, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
Howdy
Muzzle loading season comes in next Saturday . So I went and shot my old Pennsylvania Hunter Rifle . 90 grains of powder and a patched round ball will deliver lots of Deer Jerky . THE PLAN ? is to shoot a nice fat Doe , I'm ready for some fresh meat .

Bear Tooth Billy How man hides does it take to make a shirt ?

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: October 09, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
Rowdy, I will say 4,  sounds like a lot but by the time you cut all the pieces for fringe etc.
Possibly 3 large deer, but my experience is that it's easier to get smaller deer soft, big bucks
have more square footage but need to be thinned and are hard to get that really nice soft
brain tan that is so awesome. Good Luck!!

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #609 on: October 10, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »
The air has a slight chill to it. Fall is one the way. Wish I could still hunt. Sure miss it. Tj :(
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #610 on: October 30, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »
Howdy
Finally got a chance to try a few of the soft lead bullets . They are looking real good so far . They are producing a nice group so far , if they won't group at 50 yards they sure won't group at 100 .

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #611 on: October 30, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Rowdy, during shotgun season we can use a muzzleloader here in Iowa. I finished a 50 cal flintlock kit for a friend
a couple of years ago and am thinking about borrowing it to take along during shotgun season if it's good weather.
I will develop a load on paper, but how good should this shoot and what kind of range are we talking.  Thanks

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #612 on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »
B.T.B. and all the other NCOWS M/L & Vintage Shooters out there,
Jist a passing, progressive comment on a good load for M/L hunting using a percussion or flinter rifle.
Back in the day when I went out every chance I could, I carried a Navy Arms SXS 12 kit-made shotter gun for small stuff, rabbits, ducks and geese when possible. My Buckskinnin' huntin' Pal at that time got me hooked on M/L's and we would run circles around the 'modern' guys on the crikbeds and trap ranges, Annie Oakley here we come! Our shoulder bags were always loaded down by noonish with rabbit, quail, pheasant, squirell-tails and woodcock. Now I would happily challenge anyone that thinks you can't hunt woodcock with a SxS 12 M/L, it takes a bit of huffin' & puffin' in the boot-suckin' mud and muck but it is worth every reload! Used a flinter for most deer, one of Curly Gostomski's (sp?) handmade specials. Boy Howdy, could that thing make smoke and sparks! When you hit a deer with that short gun it stayed down fer sure and certain!
OK, here is a load I worked up for new M/L hunters, especially young gals from the Hunter Safety class I worked with when I taught the early M/L section. It doesn't sound like it would work, but think about the complete package of load, distance and rifle and it falls into place nicely: 50 cal. percussion or flintlock, 50 grains 2FF (most any powder will/would work well), 50 yards to target-maximum.
Now let us dissect the load, using a 50 cal. rifle your site plane is fairly dead-on at 50 yards after you sight it in, which at 50 yards shouldn't take long, your success ratio for the young shooter will be high. 50 grains BP, 2FF, good enough at 50 yards to knock down any sized deer if the shot is placed properly, i.e. don't shoot at running deer, only at standing deer with a clear background if possible. At 50 yards you can easily see the 'hit' spot and know your target will probably drop very soon.
So, 50 cal. rifle, 50 gr. BP, target at 50 yards. Practice and you'll come home with plenty of smiles and good eats!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925
P.S. Don't care who gets one using this formula, but post us all with your success if you do, I'll be holdin' down the home fire here as I can't get out like I used to, at least I'll be able to 'see' how well it goes.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: November 03, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
BTB
I shoot a 50 caliber Muzzle Loader . It is a Pennsylvania Hunter by TC . It's a round ball rifle and I shoot 90 grains of Powder . I have used all kinds of patches to get a TIGHT fit . I have also used the poly patches from Butler Creek and they worked fine for me . It's all about shot placement , I prefer a lung shot and when you blow a 50 caliber hole through the lungs they are down . Know your weapon and how far you can consistently hit a 6 inch circle . Oh and all the people who say a round ball won't shoot through a Deer I have taken 20 Deer with my rifle and the ball went through all of them . Hope this helps and Good Luck and Happy Hunting . 

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #614 on: November 17, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Howdy
Chalk another one up for the 44wcf . Back after a Doe tomorrow .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #615 on: November 19, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »
My 1907 Win 94, 38-55 caliber, accounted for 2 does this morning just before 8:30. Both dropped where they were shot, but the second one kept its head up looking around, so I shot again in the neck to be sure it wasn't just stunned. First shot landed a little high, probably a spine hit, will know more after I field dress them. Ammo was Winchester factory soft points, I'll have to start reloading fro it, though, that box of factory shells is down to about 3 rounds. For now, though, Mama's got some pancakes and sausage cooked up. Nice to be able to hunt right here at home on the farm.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
I know, I know.....without pics it never happened!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #617 on: November 20, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
PE
Good job with the 38-55 .You have lots of Jerky there . Congrats on your Hunt .

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
« Reply #618 on: November 27, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
Took the flintlock out for final tuneup today  60 grains swiss chronoed at 1460 fps.  I tried shooting
at 80 yds and was pleasantly surprised with an under 3" group  (bench with sandbags). we can use shotgun
or muzzleloader during shotgun season I'll take both and see what happens.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #619 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »
Howdy
Tomorrow fall Turkey Shotgun season opens . Plan on braking out the long barreled 87 and my BP loads .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com